Nutrient Switch...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotten_socks420

'N The Mountains YO!
Reaction score
Hello everyone hope you all are having a great earth day its very nice outside were i live hope the same for you.

Anyways here is my question : I have been using fox farms grow big in vegg and now I am 20 days into bloom, obviously should have been feeding them bloom nutes but im broke and dont have any, so I was wondering if I could go ahead and use my buddies General Hydroponics 3 part Flora nutes instead of the fox farms big bloom, wondering if it will hurt my plants at all or if everything will be fine?

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read/answer my post.

Not sure...I'm not a soil guy yet...How old are GH nutes?..They may have an expiration date.

You do need the bloom nutes though..

I would do a big flush, then add the GH,and keep an eye on the girls.

v35b said:
Not sure...I'm not a soil guy yet...How old are GH nutes?..They may have an expiration date.

You do need the bloom nutes though..

I would do a big flush, then add the GH,and keep an eye on the girls.
I dont believe his nutes are expired, thats why I wanna use them because I have expired FF nutes that I cant use.... A flush then add them sounds like good advice thank you!

Insight from any other people? I wonder if like alot of people have me ignored or something

Hey mate I use FF big bloom and tiger bloom, but those are the only nutes I know about. If the Flora nutes are similar to the grow big I would think it wouldnt hurt. If nothing else start at quarter strength :aok:

Definitely not an expert here but I would flush and then start using the other nutrients @ 1/2 strength working up to full over a couple feedings and beyond full if your plants can take it. I really dont think you will have any issues if you keep your ph in line.

I recently found I needed to add some Grow Big in weeks 5 and 6 of flowering according to their schedule. I didn't have any and almost added another lines veg nut. After careful consideration I decided I would just skip it on the first week 5 feeding and get what I needed. Decided it just wasnt worth the risk. . .

kiksroks said:
Definitely not an expert here but I would flush and then start using the other nutrients @ 1/2 strength working up to full over a couple feedings and beyond full if your plants can take it. I really dont think you will have any issues if you keep your ph in line.

I recently found I needed to add some Grow Big in weeks 5 and 6 of flowering according to their schedule. I didn't have any and almost added another lines veg nut. After careful consideration I decided I would just skip it on the first week 5 feeding and get what I needed. Decided it just wasnt worth the risk. . .
Yea I have heard that because Fox Farms grow big kills everything else in the soil so you need to add that so make up for it or something like that

rotten_socks420 said:
Yea I have heard that because Fox Farms grow big kills everything else in the soil so you need to add that so make up for it or something like that

I really don't have a clue. You are thinking of the organic/inorganic argument. I'm not a scientist, just a smoker:p. Just do a flush and then introduce the new nutrients slowly and keep your pH in line. IMO you are over thinking this. The plants will adapt and anything is better than nothing.

Could you afford to grab a litre or half litre of Canna PK13/14? It's only the potassium and phosphorous that is likely to be missing in a straight grow nute, adding this in would be about all you would need.

My rep will probably get all jacked for this but I have had success with Miracle Grow Bloom Booster. You can get enough to last a few years at Wal-Mart for like $7.00. Balance that pH and . . . it is like 15-30-30 iirc. Last time I used it I was able to work the plants up to about 150% recommended dose. I used it because it was the same ingredients and ratios of the high dollar stuff and much much cheaper.:bolt:

It's cheap, readily available, and definitely better than nuthin. . .

Please don't smack me around too bad for this. . .

There will be no problem whatsoever switching over from FF to GH. I also see no reason to flush. You are far better off using a different brand of flowering nutes than continuing to feed your flowering girls with veg nutes (which have far too much N). I would strongly advise against MG.

Thanks THG I was hoping an expert would chime in with a solid answer :aok: mojo :D

The Hemp Goddess said:
There will be no problem whatsoever switching over from FF to GH. I also see no reason to flush. You are far better off using a different brand of flowering nutes than continuing to feed your flowering girls with veg nutes (which have far too much N). I would strongly advise against MG.
Perfect. Thank you.
And thank everyone else who posted and helped me answer that question!

I need to add a little addendum. Keep your ppms at the same level they are now and work up if you need to. Do not go by recommended doses on the bottles.

I understand that MG nutes is "cheap" but is there a specific reason for not using it. I did notice not too long ago when reading the numbers on a box that the MG looks really hot, I assume too hot for MJ. (my wife uses it for her flowers around the house)

It seems to have a tendency to burn the ladies when added initially at full strength. Great results have been seen using it too.

TBG used to grow with it frequently, wonder where he went...Now that dude knew how to take a pic!

I have seen and heard all the Miracle Grow horror stories. My experience with it was not bad. I am currently using FoxFarms and while I cannot say I will use it exclusively forever I can say that I will not be using the Miracle Grow on any indoor grow MJ again.

Latest posts

Back