Opinion on Apartment Growing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTownDank

higher than Messiah
Reaction score
First off, Hello to all... I am new to this forum, but not really new to growing.

My first grow experience was a closet grow in my house, but my parents had found it and threw out my plants...you can save the criticism about how bad of an idea that was, because I now realize it was really really stupid.

So basically, I've decided it is time for me to move out to an apartment and attempt to continue growing. A really good friend of mine has grown before and is basically helping me learn the process. He specifically has told me to NEVER grow in an apartment because that I will DEFINITELY get busted. He never would explain exactly why to me though.

My setup would probably involve these:

1. Either use a closet or grow tent
2. 400W or 600W HPS light & corresponding ballast
3. 3-5 plants

I would use intake/fans as well, just not decided what to use yet. I am very concerned about electricity use, and getting busted by law enforcement.

What do you guys think? Is growing in an apartment just too risky? I am in Houston TX, and I know laws concerning marijuana are pretty strict over here. Any help or input is appreciated!

Sounds good all around id really give the new move in a bit of time to see how the area goes about its business first before i started but a 400-600 watter will fit the need well, id also look at a carbon scrubber to aid in the aroma of growing things ;) The electricty use on a 400W is about 30 bucks a month and im sure my computer uses more it has a 800w power suppply for it :cool2: :welcome: to the forum happy growing if you choose too.

Hi, i just now started my closet/apartment grow. Everything seems to be fine. I don't see why you would get caught unless you decided to grow a lot of plants. First thing i did is put a brand new lock on the door so the apartment complex cant come in whenever they want, apartment's do that. Also try to keep a low profile, and when you move in make sure everything in your place is working good before you start to set up, and never ask them to come fix anything, and if something breaks your fixing it your self. Just do a couple plants at a time.

My first grow experience was a closet grow in my house, but my parents had found it and threw out my plants...you can save the criticism about how bad of an idea that was, because I now realize it was really really stupid.

So basically, I've decided it is time for me to move out to an apartment and attempt to continue growing.

that my friend is very responsible of you. im glad you came tho this conclusion.

now, as said before keep a low profile. ive grown in apartments before and my only concern was the smell. i would deffinately buy a scrubber if you go with any HID light over 250 watts.

make friends with your neighbors.....if your lucky (as i was) they might even smoke. and i would always as the girl above me if she could ever smell weed coming out of my place. we smoked together frequently in her place and anytime she was outside smoking a cigg i would ask her if she could tell that i had just smoked weed.... the answer was always no- so unless you have a big op smell permeation will be nill.

now when your bringin material in i always always always put soil and nutes in boxes like i was just moving stuff in...

i had a cop in one apartment that lived right next to my place and it wasnt really ever a concern because i would always ask my neighbors if they could smell weed and like i said the answer was no so i knew he couldnt smell it either.

if your apt complex has a garden site in the middle of it it would be in your best intrest to get a plot out there and get to growing anything. its alot less noticvible having garden items being brought in if your neighbors know u have a garden there....i would gropw herbs tomatoes cuecumbers and bring the fruit to the main office complex to give away anytime i picked some fruit. i was well known as a green thumb and there wasnt ever any suspicion that i had an indoor setup.

i would run all the lights in your place and have the ac/ heat cranked fridge cranked..and tvs and dvd plaers on all the time until you get the big light in there...then turn everything off and use the apliances as needed, so there will not be a notciible spike in electricity usage after u get the grow show in. dryers use alot of electricity so its a good idea to do all the laundy u can too as much as possible...this will help.

goodluck

i grow in my apt yo!! do what everyone is is KEEP IT LOW PROFILE!!!! dont tell any one!!!! i ude a 400 watt floroscent fixture and my bill went up maybe 10 bux!! never bring multiple pots to your house unless no one can see you doin it!! my neighbor across the way also grows, so we tell each other if any has made any complains!!! btw he is the managers bro-in-law! but i have had no problems growing in my apt!!!

Welcome to MP. You have chosen the right place to learn and share your knowledge of growing mj with some of the best growers out there. I hope you find all you are looking for in this site.

Just be careful and smart about it and you shouldnt have any problems. I wouldnt be worried about it but thats just me. Good luck with your grow and I hope to see some pics of your grow sometime in the near future. Take care my friend.

your best friend today could be your worst enemy tomorrow so dont tell a soul and use common sense. I act as if someones always watching me so i dont bring anything in the house suspicious without a box or bag covering it. A 400 watter is perfect for 4 plants plus youll need exhaust and carbon scrubber. Good luck

I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards a 600watt HPS. Thanks for all the input guys. I know everyone's opinion is different, but do ya'll think soil or hydroponics is the way to go? My first grow was soil, and had no real problems besides fungus gnats...but got rid of them very quickly. Is another reason people do not grow in an apartment is because the constant running of electricity looks strange when companies come and check the meter? I have always heard horror stories of people getting busted because of that especially in apartments, but I know that might not necessarily be true. I just want to make sure I can do this safely. Maybe I should get that Barry Cooper "Never Get Raided" dvd and watch it...lol

so i have one major question. sounds to me you've recently been liberated by the big 1-8 and I want to stress the importance of security to you. Do not damage your future to grow a couple buds.

I do not reccomend growing in an apartment nor would I do it under any circumstance.

Here's my reccomendation: Sounds like you havent moved out yet, find a buddy and a small house, a duplex or a condo. Anything that is an isolated unit in which you dont share Air Conditioning or ceiling/floor relationship.

thestandard said:
so i have one major question. sounds to me you've recently been liberated by the big 1-8 and I want to stress the importance of security to you. Do not damage your future to grow a couple buds.

I do not reccomend growing in an apartment nor would I do it under any circumstance.

Here's my reccomendation: Sounds like you havent moved out yet, find a buddy and a small house, a duplex or a condo. Anything that is an isolated unit in which you dont share Air Conditioning or ceiling/floor relationship.

Haha actually I'm 22 and been living at home this year since my school is close enough to commute. I have lived in an apartment a few years previously, and the concerns you've raised are exactly why I am unsure about doing it in an apartment. Renting a house is not a bad idea...that's what I was considering. However, that would involve other roomates...and I don't know if all of them would be cool with me growing in the house. I do feel that even in a rented house, it would be much safer. You are the first besides my friend to actually advise not to grow in an apartment! :goodposting:

Latest posts

Back