opinions needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are retired you should set your room up right. It will pay you back whatever you invest very quickly. All you need is a tent 4x4x6.5 $120 shipped off of ebay -- a 600w ballast, hps bulb and a cool tube -- a 6 inch vortex fan -- couple of hundred bucks for all that -- and that's about it to begin. The first crop will be worth more than your total investment -- if you can grow -- and with some luck :)

Good luck however you do it

buy the tent and light and use your cfls to vedge with....

hXXp://tinyurl.com/86kyrz8 this is a good place to start. this will grow you 2 or 3 plants from veg to harvest. make sure you got some air moving over the light, and plants. or get a vent system for it. (just my 2 cents.)

ps finally i get to help someone rather than ask questions :p

HemperFi said:
If you are retired you should set your room up right. It will pay you back whatever you invest very quickly. All you need is a tent 4x4x6.5 $120 shipped off of ebay -- a 600w ballast, hps bulb and a cool tube -- a 6 inch vortex fan -- couple of hundred bucks for all that -- and that's about it to begin. The first crop will be worth more than your total investment -- if you can grow -- and with some luck :)

Good luck however you do it

buy the tent and light and use your cfls to vedge with....
I might be retired that don't mean I'm rich with a big house. What if I don't have room for all that stuff. :holysheep:

I have my whole grow in a 6x8 ft. sectioned off area in the back of my 35' houseboat. I clone and vedge on one side of the room and have a tent on the other side w/ flowering plants. I kinda wish I had more space (i'd like to breed some dank) but I am growing some fine plants in my little area, and the first crop more than paid me back on my investment -- I was just like you a few months ago -- do what you feel you must do, but you will soon realize the error of your ways :)

Peace

HemperFi said:
I have my whole grow in a 6x8 ft. sectioned off area in the back of my 35' houseboat. I clone and vedge on one side of the room and have a tent on the other side w/ flowering plants. I kinda wish I had more space (i'd like to breed some dank) but I am growing some fine plants in my little area, and the first crop more than paid me back on my investment -- I was just like you a few months ago -- do what you feel you must do, but you will soon realize the error of your ways :)

Peace
Yes sir I'm so lucky to have farming buddies like you guys. Koooodles:hubba:

awesome thread!
Its a coinincedence that i read this right AFTER i purchased 4 CFL's. They equal 350 watts and 2 produce 6500k - 75 watts each and 2 produce 2700k 100 watts each. I think that equals an HPS, no?
And by the way, i live in a NYC apartment, so i don't pay for water, gas or electric. That means i can care less about how much electricity i use.
I just hope i produce some good bud =D It's my first time growing.

BudMan101 said:
awesome thread!
Its a coinincedence that i read this right AFTER i purchased 4 CFL's. They equal 350 watts and 2 produce 6500k - 75 watts each and 2 produce 2700k 100 watts each. I think that equals an HPS, no?
quote]

No, not even close, how many lumens do the 4 lights produce, probably under 7500 lumens in total, one 600 watt produces around 90,000 lumens.

let him do what he wants. theres only one way to learn why its a bad idea. let him figure that out by himself.

HemperFi said:

Peace

LOL--Hemper, that is more space than I have. I have a flowering space that is 19.5 sq ft, a vegging space that is 8 sq ft. I have just set up another temporary flowering space that is 8 sq ft....under 36 sq ft. I wish I had more space, too.

Mamba3164 said:
let him do what he wants. theres only one way to learn why its a bad idea. let him figure that out by himself.

Okay?.. So, you think its a bad idea that im saving money. I guess the recession didn't effect you. If you look @ the Full growing marijuana guide it directly states that 2500 lumens psf is a good target.
So, one bulb contains about 3000 lumens... u must not try to minimize expenses. I said electricity don't matter to me. One HPS cost min $200. Comon now.. smh, what you smokin? :chillpill:

The point she is trying to make(i think) is that in the long run ,you are NOT saving money. Your gonna need a bag full of those bulbs to = a cheap hps. Then there is the heat issue and when those are all fixed, what are you gonna have in the end.? Maybe it will work for you , they're just tryin to help you
Even T5 high output would be better and you can mix bulbs for veg/flower.

BudMan101 said:
Okay?.. So, you think its a bad idea that im saving money. I guess the recession didn't effect you. If you look @ the Full growing marijuana guide it directly states that 2500 lumens psf is a good target.
So, one bulb contains about 3000 lumens... u must not try to minimize expenses. I said electricity don't matter to me. One HPS cost min $200. Comon now.. smh, what you smokin? :chillpill:
Keep itt growing bro. Use watya got. Cfl's will grow. Don't let people discourage you. If you don't want to use hps. Dont use them. Its your house your grow:hubba: :D

absolutely do what you want to do, im sure you will.

But you need 5000 L/Sq foot to flower properly

BudMan101 said:

Nobody thinks it is a bad idea that you are saving money...but let me ask you something. Did you come here to save money or grow some of your own bud? Because the growing bud part is what we are here to help you with. 2500 lumens per sqr foot in flower will not cut it.....no way no how. You will wind up with sad Charlie Brown type xmas trees with very lil bud. You need 5000 lumens a sqr foot in flower. You can cheap out on some stuff but not on lighting.
Why you wld want to put in a cpl months worth of work only to get crappy yields is beyond me. Yes you can grow pretty good bud and get good yields with CFL's but you will need a crap load of them and when you are done it will hve cost you more in the long run then just going with an HPS. jmo

BudMan101 said:

The thing to ask yourself is whether you are really saving money? You are going to put months and months into this grow to get virtually nothing out of it. If your goal is to be independent from having to buy it on the street, you are simply going to have to invest more money into this. Remember that you are attempting to produce a product that goes for $300 an ounce or so--it is going to take more than a few CFLs to accomplish this.

The book you are reading is incorrect--2500 lumens per sq ft is not enough light, even if you had a HPS and CFLs will only be worse as they have almost no penetration. Light in that range will result in light sparse airy buds. Just because someone publishes a book does not make them an expert. We have many growers here who have been growing for decades. I would put their knowledge up against any of the famous bookwriters--Ed, Jorge, etc, etc.

I do not know where you got the idea that HPS cost a minimum of $200, but that is incorrect also. If you shop around you can usually find good buys. I put together a dual 150W HPS (security lights found at a yard sale for $2 each) in a cool tube for about $25.

Hamster Lewis expressed it fairly well. You can spend 4-5 months caring for a plant and get 10 grams like greenphene does or you tighten your belt, get a HPS, and produce multiple ounces. The choice is yours. We are just trying to let you know that if you continue to use the lighting you have now, you are most likely in for a very very small harvest.

You can use cfl's until you develop a grow style. You just might want to grow one plant and never do it again. Just grab a couple cfl'sssss and start to grow. When I decided to dibble and dabble with growing. I didn't have the money to buy an expensive light. So what did I do. I got a couple of cfl's and started to grow. I used a incandescent for heat to pop seeds. Remember what's good for the goooose isn't goooood for the gander. Use what you have on hand to start. Just because you don't have expensive lights that does not mean you can't start your grow. I'm actually interested to see how these cfl's bud my plant. If I listened to everybody else I wouldn't have cfl grow knowledge. Even tho it could be useless knowledge.

To tell you the truth. If you want top notch lights. L.E.D's give you more bang for the bucks. Lower energy usage cooler. Actually hps are becoming dinosaurs. People are scared to experiment. How do people find cures and better strategies. Yes through trial and error. If cfl lights do not work for you. Go to the next phase up the anny. Everybody do not have the same likes and dislikes.

He might not care about total yield. He might be interested in learning the stages of growth of a marijuana plant. With a new grower. All the specifics do not matter. They and me just want to grow by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE.

Yes using cfl's will indeed lower your yield. That point is undisputed. Do what you want to do just don't use incandescent for they will only get you so far. Cfl for vegging 6500k daylight bulb. For flowering 2700k. I actually vegged with 2700k and my plant grew fine

Last but not least that ten gram plant had me coughing so hard I almost pooooooed my pants:hubba: I sat back rolled my grower weed up turned on halo. I was high as a kite.

1324105256.jpg

1325953028.jpg

1325953011.jpg

One thing more to add. You see how skinny my last plant was. I took my experience from my last grow. Then I did some research and gained mor cultivation knowledge. Then I used what I learned in my previous experiences and my plants are double the size of my
Last plant. Next grow I will take what I learned and apply it to my next grow. If you ask me in the future will I buy HPS LIGHTS. MY ANSWER WOULD BE NO. NOT FOR THE BOX I HAVE SHOWED IN MY PICTURE. FOR ME IT'S JUST FINE FOR WHAT IM DOING. FAR AS ONLY GETTING A EIGHTH FOR TWO MONTHS. I DON'T CARE BECAUSE IM BLAZING ANYWAY. YOU KNOW MEDICQL MARIJUANA STORES. IM ALWAYS WELCOME THERE ANY WHERE IN CALIFORNIA. ANYTHING I GROW IS EXTRA. I SMOKE ALL DAY EVERYDAY. WHETHER I GROW ARE NOT. FOR OVER TWO DECADES. MY CONTRAPTION IS FUN. IM NOT IN THE BIGGEST NUGGET CONTEST. IM NOT INTERESTED. IM JUST MESSING AROUND JUST LIKE THE OTHER NEWBIES. yeah good luck on the grow my farmer buddy. Don't be afraid to jump out the box from time to time

greenphene said:
To tell you the truth. If you want top notch lights. L.E.D's give you more bang for the bucks. Lower energy usage cooler. Actually hps are becoming dinosaurs. People are scared to experiment. How do people find cures and better strategies. Yes through trial and error. If cfl lights do not work for you. Go to the next phase up the anny. Everybody do not have the same likes and dislikes.

He might not care about total yield. He might be interested in learning the stages of growth of a marijuana plant. With a new grower. All the specifics do not matter. They and me just want to grow by ANY MEANS POSSIBLE.

Either you live in the future or you are quite mistaken about just how much "bang for your buck" you get. LED's are not there yet....period. The ones that do work well are still high priced and not easy to find without accidentally buying garbage. I think with most LED's you get banged for your buck...:). HPS is not a dinosaur yet at all.....in fact it is the best choice for flowering in my opinion.

As for growing by any means necessary....you can probably grow by candlelight but you won't see any of us advocating that.

Latest posts

Back