Organic Fertilizers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trueshoe

Reaction score
I have heard to bury organic things such as fish, banana peels, tomatoes, etc. under your garden so it can decompose into the soil and later supply nutrients to your plants. What organic food would be the best to use? Also how much time before I plant do I have to bury these organic food(s)? How deep do you bury them?...

I have heard fish are supposedly the best because of there omega 3's? If anyone can confirm this? But I also heard fish are bad because it will attract animals, which is entirely understandable.

Its better to start a compost heap and use the compost after all of its composted. I put in everything into mine except meat products. Eggshells, manure (not house pet), All sorts of stuff. Even ash from the wood stove.
Lets that compost for a while then just till it into your soil. ;)

here's a good list of the NPK of stuff...theres another list posted up here somewhere in this section.
hxxp://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=924

Mutt said:
Its better to start a compost heap and use the compost after all of its composted. I put in everything into mine except meat products. Eggshells, manure (not house pet), All sorts of stuff. Even ash from the wood stove.
Lets that compost for a while then just till it into your soil. ;)

here's a good list of the NPK of stuff...theres another list posted up here somewhere in this section.
hxxp://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=924

Yes, I do the same. House-pet manure is ok if it is an Herbivore and not Carnivore (e.g. from birds, canaries, parrots, chickens ok, but not from dogs, cats, etc.).

Yes, ash is essential additive to fertilizers and composts. I smoke bud and dump the ash into the growing plants.

I use fish in my outdoor grows. Buried them about 12"-15" then set the clone right on top. Never had a problem, never tested it against anything else. I just do it

RE: depth of organic burials - plant it a little ways away from the roots of your plants (i.e. not next to the stem), approx. 30-45 inches away at least. You can bury them around your yard/garden as an alternate way of producing compost slowly over time, yet not having to maintain a separate compost heap which can get full of bugs and heat and smells as it decomposes. Just let it decompose in the ground by burial + watering and it will help to replenish the earth all around it.

Latest posts

Back