painfully slow veg. growth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms.tokenski

Reaction score
I have some Haze seeds that are giving me a challenge. Out of the 4 I've germinated, 1 didn't sprout, 1 was male, one died and I now have one left in a cup of soil.

It's been 3 weeks since it first broke thru the soil. It has one set of leaves past the 'newborn' pair and is about 2.5 inches tall. I have a WR of the same age, 7 inches tall, 4 sets of lovely deep green leaves.

I know they're completely different so I'm not really comparing them;)

My last Haze (the male) grew much faster in veg, I think females grow slower (?) but wow this is crazy slow. Is this common for the variety?

16 oz black plastic cup w/ miracle grow potting mix, under 175w MV, around 10k lumens 24/7.

I have had no problems growing 10 other varieties this way :(

ms.tokenski said:
16 oz black plastic cup w/ miracle grow potting mix, under 175w MV, around 10k lumens 24/7.

I have had no problems growing 10 other varieties this way :(

MV? You mean MH?

Never heard of it?

I do know that mercury is deadly taxic and I would not be playing around with that type of system:cool:

Na mate metal vapor lights are no good they dont have the right septrums of light in them so your better off to go buy some fluros or mh or hps thats why your not seeing much growth bud

I've heard of peeps trying to use MV they have a great CRI but they are too hot and not enough to grow plants well IMO.
Flos
HPS
MH
tried and true

a la wikipedia~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-vapor_lamp

"A Mercury-vapor lamp is a gas discharge lamp which uses mercury in an excited state to produce light. The arc discharge is generally confined to a small fused quartz arc tube mounted within a larger borosilicate glass bulb. The outer bulb may be clear or coated with a phosphor; in either case, the outer bulb provides thermal insulation, protection from ultraviolet radiation, and a convenient mounting for the fused quartz arc tube.

Mercury vapor lamps (and their relatives) are often used because they are relatively efficient. Phosphor coated bulbs offer better color rendition than either high- or low-pressure sodium vapor lamps. They also offer a very long lifetime, as well as intense lighting for several applications."

back to my question-

is slow veg growth typical for the strain?

Lets clear this up a little bit.
CRI Color rendition Index
Lumens
They play a role
Kelvin temperature is whats critical.
Lumens is the amount of light
CRI is a measurment of how colors "look" under the light in relationship to pure white light.
Kelvin is what ensures that PAR is right
The plant photosythesis only happens under certain Kelvin Temps.

The reason your plants are not vegging right is the MV light is not the right Kelvin temp for veg growth.
6000K temp is perfect for veg. Flos or Metal Halide.

Correct lighting has been preached on this forum for over 2 yrs...search around. ;)

all of my other plants are vegging just fine. It's ~only~ the *haze seedling* that is growing slowly. it's not too hot, 70-78 degrees, plenty of ventilation. i know it's not the best choice but my aunt (she holds a masters degree in horticulture and forestry) told me it's fine.

eta: I did not germ all 4 seeds at once, 2 each time. the first batch only one germinated and it was a male. the second batch, one died and the other is the aforementioned slow grower.
i have several other seedlings and clones growing just fine right next to it in the nursery.

not to be rude or nething there MS. T but mutt knows what hes talkin about, and if ur certain its just the haze strain do a search on the forum for haze info theres a ton of it on here all over the place. or better yet talk to Hazewarrior cuz they seem to be doing great with that strain

IMHO

Fire it up

KT

Thank Ktown...forgot...hazewarrior did mention that the hazes were a finicky bunch.

Latest posts

Back