PH and tap water.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunzeed

"*Bomb-Diggity*"
Reaction score
Just curious. My tap water is about 8.0 . Is that bad? Mind you I am hydro so I adjust it anyway but is it a very high tap reading? I figured you hydro growers know the ph of you water. Thanks

Mine is 7 and mt PPMs are 120. Sure us hydro guys know LOL. You're fine, since you adjust it before using. I think the bigger issue is PPMs and not pH. PPMs can cost you some cash, buying RO or some sort of filter.

Tap water is at 7.9 for me. Tap is a pain in the *** becuase i had to readjust ppm and ph all the time, so i switched to distilled and it worked wonders for me.

My tap is right at 7.0, however our water system uses well water that's been treated, and has a high chlorine content, but the ppms are still only around 276ppm on any given day. I have very neutral water, but ironically enough, we've noticed that if we pull water from our outside faucet (hose attached) the pH is 6.6, which is very strange considering it's from the same source and we don't have any filters in the house at all.

8.0 is not BAD, since you adjust it, but it's just one of those luck of the draw type things. Sometimes you get fairly close to neutral, others, not so lucky.

I always recommend getting a 5 gallon ozarka bottle or two and keeping those full of water.

Don't forget to let the tap water sit overnight to allow for more chemical evaporation.

Yeah my tap water is 7.0, and has a ppm of 200.

I agree with snuggles that the PPM of your water in more important then the PH, because as you said it will be adjusted anyways.

I also agree with Md., I try to always let my tap water sit out for about 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate.

Even though I don't use it, distilled water is great if you have hard water or any other major water inconsistancies.

Great answers guys

I grow Hydro exclusively..... I use tap water for my grow..... not that I can't afford distilled or treated water.. but just for ease....

My tap water has ranged from 5.4 pf AND 40 PPM and 8.2 PH and 240 PPM....

those ranges have to deal with season and local variances....

When I am setting up my Hydro with water i just subtract the tap PPM from the Nuted one....... let's face it, a LOT of the stuff in the tap water can and will be used by your plants... Lime, ande other trace nutes....

Jus make sure your PH is right and your added nutes is in the window for the system you are using....and all should be well.

in terms of your health and the health of your animals if they drink tap,

however

ph definetely is as important as solids content. the acidity of everything we put into our bodies is one of the key determining factors in the health of our digestive tissues and your throut as you could imagine

thats why i dont microwave food. its bad for u and throws the acidity way into wack, often times alkaline. leads to cancer, ulsers, heart burn..

anyways just an off topic FUN FACT! ;)

I agree ob1, I was more talking about for my plants because I can adjust it...I drink spring or distilled water from my water cooler, but because the ppm's of my tap water is in an acceptible range, that is what my plants get.

So should I get something for my home to help bring the ph down. I notice weird rings in the sink, toilet, etc and no its nothing gross. Do I have hard water?

Thanks fellas

stunzeed..

Well thats good. Any ideas for the ring? Only thing that gets it out is a pummice stone!

Stunzeed..

It's probably Calcium or Lime..... maybe a bit of both... Get some CLR cleaner, should take it right off with a lil elbow grease.

Is there anything I can do to remove it from my water?

Stunzeed..

brita sink filter- 20 bucks will practically wipe that calcium out

calcium is very bad for u when taken in excess and gets into ur blood stream when u injest too much.

u should do it. good health is wealth ;) :D

Thanks but what about the other faucets? I was hoping for something that treats the whole home before the water comes in. Something like that I guess. Thanks though

Stunzeed..

stunzeed said:
Thanks but what about the other faucets? I was hoping for something that treats the whole home before the water comes in. Something like that I guess. Thanks though

Stunzeed..

I hope you have a lot of money...LOL those house units can cost a bunch, but it is good for your health.

snuggles said:
I hope you have a lot of money...LOL those house units can cost a bunch, but it is good for your health.

Maaaaaaaaaaabey I do:) What are they called?

Stunzeed..

Latest posts

Back