ph buffers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey Mcpotster

my bone marrow is resin
Reaction score
My first grow didn't go well. Work and computer problems got in the way of solving a ph problem I had and still having. I originally had my plants in hempy buckets. I was having a problem with the ph of the runoff jumping up to 2 full points to 7.5 from the water going in at 5.5. My plants had almost 0 growth for 3 weeks. They would sprout leaves but not get any bigger. The younger leaves would turn light green and die off from the tip, moving inward. I transplanted them to a DWC, so I could better work with the water. I don't hold much hope for these plants with all the stress they have been through. I hope they can help me get this issue solved so I can start another grow. Obv. I don't want to germ any more seeds til I figure out the water problem.

I'm using distilled water ph'd to 5.5-5.8. I am using a 10 gal tote for a DWC
grow with airstones. I have 8 26 watt cfl's for vegging. 1600 lumens per. 2700 kelvin bulbs. I have a fan for air movement.

I have read that ro water and distilled can have problems with ph because they have no real base to them, nothing to help hold/ balance the ph. I have and am going to use the lucas formula with GH the micro and bloom nutes. I mixed up a 1/4 strength batch and added to water yesterday, hoping that would help. ph was 6.4. last evening This a.m. ph was at 7.5 :confused:. I do plan on getting a ro system in a week or so, for cost reasons. Still it seems I may have the same issues. My house water is pretty much out of the question. It's city water, comes from a well with a hardness of 18 grains per million? has a ph in the 8's and a ppm of 230, yuck.

Any suggestions for something to help stabilize the ph?I've read about cal-mag, but cant find much product info, Woud calmag help?
Thanks for reading.
EDIT: I have heard that floranova? is supposed to help, not sure if thats just hype or not.

Latest posts

Back