PH Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankdogster

Reaction score
I'm using RO water that tested out at 6.5 before I mix the nutrient. After i mix House & Garden AARDE A&B the mix tests out at 4.0 or lower. Should I test the mix after prep and before use? I think that the Nutruent is adjusting the PH to a lower value but is it getting too low? Should I just test the water before the mix and leave it at that? PS. this is for a soil grow.
:confused:

adjust your ph after any treatment to the water as anything you add has the possiblity of throwing it out of wack

Thanks for the info. I guess my short question is "do I test/adjust after the mix?" and it sounds like the answer yes. I was just assuming that if I started with correct PH RO water then the nutrient would self adjust to the correct level. It sounds like I need to test AFTER mix and then adjust to correct PH. I love this site. Great info here. Thanks again.

I'm probably missing something but it depends if it's hydro or soil. I'm sure the nutes you have are specific - H&G... anyway you get different nute lock outs at high and low pH, not even that big of spread, I do hydro and stay between 5.5 & 5.8...that's it, the one for soil is higher (I think 6.3- 6.5 (not pos) ) but still a small window. You can test before so you will better understand exactly what your nutes do... you can "adjust" adjusting. Needless to say it's the end result that matters and that's the one to keep in your pH window.....and then you still got TDS/EC to do... :)

I'ma Joker Midnight Toker said:
I'm probably missing something but it depends if it's hydro or soil. I'm sure the nutes you have are specific - H&G... anyway you get different nute lock outs at high and low pH, not even that big of spread, I do hydro and stay between 5.5 & 5.8...that's it, the one for soil is higher (I think 6.3- 6.5 (not pos) ) but still a small window. You can test before so you will better understand exactly what your nutes do... you can "adjust" adjusting. Needless to say it's the end result that matters and that's the one to keep in your pH window.....and then you still got TDS/EC to do... :)
"and then you still got TDS/EC to do"...???? Sorry newbie here.

tankdogster said:
"and then you still got TDS/EC to do"...???? Sorry newbie here.
TDS (Total dissolved Solids) or EC (Electrical Conductivity) thou almost the same test just different measurement level...like grams to ounces...sorta... TDS is the measure of ions in a solution and EC is their (ions) electrical conductivity or ability to transmit current... there is a conversion table...(measure one or the other and convert)
pH and TDS/EC are the 2 most important measurements that can give you a lot of info on your grow...got to read up on them..
TDS - Measures the dissolved solids (nutrients) in your water or soil. I like to start low (TDS)and build up as the plant matures IMHO... this is a part of the discreet avenue of growing...to each his own...read up on PPM-which is your TDS meter...just gotta read and learn...hmmmm, I guess I said read a lot...I'm Bad :D

Latest posts

Back