PH Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybuds

Reaction score
My garden is at 6.0 in PH.should i raise it or stay at 6.0??

what are you growing in,soil or hydro?in soil i tried to keep mine at around 6.8 and in hydro i strive for 5.5-5.8

johnnybuds said:
My garden is at 6.0 in PH.should i raise it or stay at 6.0??
check out the stickies in both indoor and out door forums. You will find the information you're looking for.

andy52 said:
what are you growing in,soil or hydro?in soil i tried to keep mine at around 6.8 and in hydro i strive for 5.5-5.8

Soil FF

Hick said:
check out the stickies in both indoor and out door forums. You will find the information you're looking for.

Will do

this is my second grow and i can tell u for soil 6.5-6.8 is where its at like andy said. my first grow i didnt even check my ph once but i can tell the diffence now that i stay on top of it. good luck:)

i was growing in soil,now DWC.when i first started i really did not believe that the ph deal was that important.but it is like a bible now.to me the ph is the utmost important thing in growing MJ,that needs to dead on.now that i am growing in dwc,when it is time to change out my buckets,i start my buckets the night before.over a time frome of several hrs,i adjust the ph slowly.then i re-check the ph,adjust some more,slowly adding ph down.then the next morning i re- check it and usually have to adjust down a little more.then i change out.in my situation,i usually only have to use ph down.using RO water.also adjust after adding nutes.

Yes, pH is important! Now that I've got a good meter I seem to be able to keep it dialed in a lot better than before. The plants I have now are the healthiest I've had in a long time. I attribute it in part to proper soil pH. Soil pH should be 6.3-6.8. However, I think it's more ideal to have it between 6.5 and 6.8.

Alistair Young said:
Yes, pH is important! Now that I've got a good meter I seem to be able to keep it dialed in a lot better than before. The plants I have now are the healthiest I've had in a long time. I attribute it in part to proper soil pH. Soil pH should be 6.3-6.8. However, I think it's more ideal to have it between 6.5 and 6.8.

How much is a ph meter(usa)?

Do you put the 1/4 teaspoon into the water,water the plants then test the run off eack time you water??

i check the Ph of the water i am putting in and the run off to make sure i have it where i want it:)

A good meter can be somewhat expensive. I have a Hanna Checker and it only cost me about $40.00 at the most, but it doesn't seem to work that well. I might have done something wrong with it, and perhaps that's why I have trouble with. Just the same, I bought another meter that I like quite a bit. But that meter costs over $200.00. Do a search, or ask around here and see what others recommend. There are some people that use relatively inexpensive meters such as the Hanna I mentioned and they like it.

Quote: "Do you put the 1/4 teaspoon into the water,water the plants then test the run off each time you water??" If you're watering with straight water then measure the pH of the water before watering. If you add nutes, test the pH of the solution after mixing in the nutes. I don't check the runoff that much. I prefer to take a tablespoon of soil from about three inches deep and mix it with a tablespoon of water. I mix it well for about a minute and then every three minutes or so I mix again for about 30 seconds. I do this over a period of about 15 minutes or so, then I stick the probe of my least expensive meter (The meter I have isn't designed to be placed in soil, but I do it anyway.) into the muddy mixture and measure the pH.

A lot of people here advise to adjust the pH of the watering solution to about 6.2-6.4. The reason why some people like to water with a low pH like that is because once added to the soil, the soil pH tends to go up a bit. I think that happens because nitrogenous compounds in the soil tend to raise pH. I'm somewhat confused about that though, because over a period of time as the plants and microorganisms use nutrients the soil becomes acidic and needs to be flushed. I just know that a lot of people pH their watering solution between 6.2 and 6.4, and it works for them.

Alistair Young said:
A good meter can be somewhat expensive. I have a Hanna Checker and it only cost me about $40.00 at the most, but it doesn't seem to work that well. I might have done something wrong with it, and perhaps that's why I have trouble with. Just the same, I bought another meter that I like quite a bit. But that meter costs over $200.00. Do a search, or ask around here and see what others recommend. There are some people that use relatively inexpensive meters such as the Hanna I mentioned and they like it.

Quote: "Do you put the 1/4 teaspoon into the water,water the plants then test the run off each time you water??" If you're watering with straight water then measure the pH of the water before watering. If you add nutes, test the pH of the solution after mixing in the nutes. I don't check the runoff that much. I prefer to take a tablespoon of soil from about three inches deep and mix it with a tablespoon of water. I mix it well for about a minute and then every three minutes or so I mix again for about 30 seconds. I do this over a period of about 15 minutes or so, then I stick the probe of my least expensive meter (The meter I have isn't designed to be placed in soil, but I do it anyway.) into the muddy mixture and measure the pH.

A lot of people here advise to adjust the pH of the watering solution to about 6.2-6.4. The reason why some people like to water with a low pH like that is because once added to the soil, the soil pH tends to go up a bit. I think that happens because nitrogenous compounds in the soil tend to raise pH. I'm somewhat confused about that though, because over a period of time as the plants and microorganisms use nutrients the soil becomes acidic and needs to be flushed. I just know that a lot of people pH their watering solution between 6.2 and 6.4, and it works for them.

I use ff soil, i ph my water to 6.3 after adding nutes, never had a problem yet.

ive heard something about lowering the PH during flowering, is this legit?

ross said:
ive heard something about lowering the PH during flowering, is this legit?

Dunno, i just left mine the same as when i was in veg, so far so good.

I've never heard that before. I've done quite a bit of reading on this site concerning pH and I haven't come across that yet.

get a bluelab ph reader if you can,they are the best on the market ,but pretty expensive compared too cheap alternatives

Latest posts

Back