Phelps "blew" it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt see the apology. I would understand why he would be crying, his career is on the line. I'd say it takes an amazing amount of training to become an olympic swimming person.

haha my mom actually called me in to see the picture, and i was like Hell Yeah!!! that proves the pot makes you lazy theory wrong. pretty tight bong too.;)

and we dont have to be famous to do something. we could still stick with potus's thread about the letter to the pres on january 20th 2010

We, as a group, have taken the time to educate ourselves on marijuana. I know what it's effects are, good and bad and I as an adult have decided that the pros outweigh the cons. To the majority of the uneducated public, marijuana is a drug, and dangerous, and they believe that is why it is illegal.

Our society, especially in the States, we hold our actors and professional athlete up on a pedestal. So many people in our culture have an unhealthy obsession with these figures, it really blows my mind. See the issue I want to address is that a lot of these figures are looked up to as a role model (often rightfully so), and we as a society hold them to a higher level of accountability.

Michael Phelps broke the law. It is a law that I strongly disagree with, as I'm sure most of us do, but the fact of the matter is that he still broke the law. How do you explain to the kids that look up to him what he has done. Even if you're a marijuana advocate, is it okay to break the law just because you don't agree with it? I feel that once kids reach a certain age you should have an open and honest discussion about marijuana, but you can't overlook the fact that for most it is still illegal. And I don't think that is an appropriate conversation to have with prepubescent kids.

I have broken many laws and sometimes felt justified in doing so. I know what the possible legal ramifications are if I'm arrested for smoking pot, yet I still do it. At one point in my life I was homeless and often stole food from convenience stores, I knew what I was doing was wrong, but I still did it.

Would this story still be such a big deal if it had happened in a state or county where marijuana was decriminalized? Of course if would still be a big deal, he is the highest awarded athlete in Olympic history. I think it would then make for a much more interesting story though having the local sheriff saying, "We have no intention of prosecuting, what he did is not technically a crime." I think there are a lot of people out there who don't even realize that decriminalization is happening.

Do you see what I'm saying, even though all he did was smoke a bong, it's a much bigger deal than that. He doesn't regret smoking pot, he regrets getting caught. Obviously a lot of this is just my opinion, and my legs are getting tired from standing on this soapbox, I guess I'm just rambling at this point but I hope I made some sort of point.

cadlakmike1 said:
Even if you're a marijuana advocate, is it okay to break the law just because you don't agree with it?

I think it would then make for a much more interesting story though having the local sheriff saying, "We have no intention of prosecuting, what he did is not technically a crime."
Yes, it is ok to break the law if it is an unjust law. In the USA, the very principles of our country are founded on that concept.

In a perfect world, teachers would be telling their students how unjust the laws concerning Marijuana were and how society changed those laws to be fair and just.

I would rather have heard the local sheriff say; "His use of Marijuana has nothing to do with his performance or standing as a professional athlete. Obviously it hasn't affected that performance negatively. Let's concern ourselves with something that matters instead of this nonsense".

POTUS said:
Yes, it is ok to break the law if it is an unjust law. In the USA, the very principles of our country are founded on that concept.
POTUS said:
+1. Remember the founding fathers and all people who fought against the British crown during the revolutionary war were, according to law of the time, guilty of treason (highest crime in the USA as well as punishable by death to this day). They were fighting for their cause, how would it make sense for us not fight for ours?

And this stupid "what about the children" argument is bull ****. From my understanding of what "controlled substance" means is that its controlled... which means less of the drug in the hands of children. Right now it is not controlled... which means kids CAN get it...

I realize kids can get prescription drugs, but at least they can't buy it like they can weed can they?

I agree with MLK on this one and say that I think we are morally responsible to break unjust laws. Remember the government is suppose to fear the people, not the other way around.

I heard on the news last night,,that 8 ppl are going to jail over this Snichen Punks mouth,,Including the guy that owns the bong.

iClown said:
Good posting POTUS, Keloggs has to drop him, they're mainly aiming at young kids, they have kids help lines on each of there boxes, they gotta stay goody good.

i'm glad there is a debate going on about this...

i JUST signed the boycott (hxxp://www.petitiononline.com/Kellogg/petition.html) for several reasons.

First of all, while advertising is aimed at certain demographics, in this case children, it would be ignorant to ignore the fact that this demographic is incapable of making any purchases.

Secondly, when as the pro-pot lobby are we going to stand up against corporate America, and show our hero's they don't NEED to be sorry for firing one up? I'd rather have seen him appologize again for the drunk driving.

Third, we could all save a few bucks during this recession, and buy the off brand cereal in a bag. I don't need to pay extra for the fancy box that sits in my pantry 23 hours and 55 minutes a day.

Finally, as a former competetive swimmer at the national level, retired swim coach, and FORMER contributor to US Swim, I have to say that I have seen more people NOT lose a sponsorship, or scholarship for far worse infractions. (DUI, disorderly, assault/battery, steroids, stimulants etc.) US Swim did what they thought they had to, as did Kellogg...but it doesn't mean I still have to support them...and I won't.

I will continue to support Phelps.

So when Kellogg's signed Phelps they were completely aware of his prior DUI?

Being behind the wheel drunk was acceptable and a bing hit wasnt?

I am gonna boycott Kelloggs too, and only buy the generic poptarts from here on out. :p

I'll always love Phelps. He seems so much more human to me now. :)

Read:

hxxp://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/02/10/backlash-against-kelloggs-would-legalizing-marijuana-be-good-f/?icid=200100397x1218861682x1201212187

Comment:

To me, seems fishy or strange. Something does not sit right. Suddenly there just seems to be so much out there about legalization, it's starting to make me worry...

...and so far, I have learned to trust my gut, because it has never been wrong thus far...

Mr. Phelp's will be fine, his buddy's might be fine. Most likely they will bacause so many are going up in arm's about this. I feel this is a pretty good way to guage america's reaction on a broad scale to the possibility of legalization. Now, we ALL know what a conspiracy person I am (if you didn't, now you do) seems like this is more of a...plan...in my eyes.

I have felt like legalization is something that "They" have had plans for since FOREVER, just like we have war plans for just about every conflict scenerio you can think of. The Govt. KNOWS of the importance of marijuana..they KNOW that it's mostly less harmful than pharmies. They KNOW these things or else they would have NEVER patented a few CBN's BEFORE anyone else could.

Evil...maybe.

Stupid...Never. Just like Gee.

The Effen Gee said:
I have felt like legalization is something that "They" have had plans for since FOREVER, just like we have war plans for just about every conflict scenerio you can think of. The Govt. KNOWS of the importance of marijuana...
Good point, F'n.

Of course they've studied it. Hell, they study the mating habits of the left-handed wahoo bird during flight.

Something with the potential of marijuana, you know they've studied it to death.

The BOOZE companies will suffer if weed is legalized. They have a LOT of money and power to lobby with in DC.

Find me a BOOZE manufacturer that wants MJ legal....

If you do, I'll find you a left-handed wahoo bird.

I too would boycott Kellogg's...

But...

I just LOVE the Special K with strawberries too much.
Plus it's healthy(ish).

Sorry...

The Effen Gee said:
Read:

To me, seems fishy or strange. Something does not sit right. Suddenly there just seems to be so much out there about legalization, it's starting to make me worry...

I have felt like legalization is something that "They" have had plans for since FOREVER, just like we have war plans for just about every conflict scenerio you can think of. The Govt. KNOWS of the importance of marijuana..they KNOW that it's mostly less harmful than pharmies. They KNOW these things or else they would have NEVER patented a few CBN's BEFORE anyone else could.

Evil...maybe.

Stupid...Never. Just like Gee.

>>> and on that note, in a few moments, they will be giving a statement as to THEY are on the verge of some huge new medical, scientific breakthrough showing that what WE already knew to be facts, as thier very own new developement.

and all the time, it was US driving. we just let them ride shotgun...bb...

by Rabbi Daniel S. Brenner "Kellog's should immediately release a statement explaining why drunk driving was acceptable in their eyes {concerning Phelp's prior DUI yet Kellog's did not remove his sponsorship then} and smoking marijuana is a reason for someone to lose their job. Until they explain their position, I encourage everyone to buy other cereals and to let the Kellog's corporation know that their public message is rotting our sense of responsibility and morality the way that Frosted Flakes is rotting the teeth of our children." I Closed my other window but if you google his name you'll find this at the bottom of his editorial. He seems to be a very clear-minded, intelligent, rational individual. Kudos to the rabbi!

banjobuzz said:
>>> and on that note, in a few moments, they will be giving a statement as to THEY are on the verge of some huge new medical, scientific breakthrough showing that what WE already knew to be facts, as thier very own new developement.

and all the time, it was US driving. we just let them ride shotgun...bb...
I don't care if they have to save face. Let em. Just legalize it.

POTUS said:
Good point, F'n.

Of course they've studied it. Hell, they study the mating habits of the left-handed wahoo bird during flight.

Something with the potential of marijuana, you know they've studied it to death.

The BOOZE companies will suffer if weed is legalized. They have a LOT of money and power to lobby with in DC.

Find me a BOOZE manufacturer that wants MJ legal....

If you do, I'll find you a left-handed wahoo bird.

I see what your sayin'.. but I think that RJ Reynolds and Co. would be the first to shoot down MJ, i mean.. "should I SMOKE cigs?.. which will KILL me? or smoke "Marlboro GREENS" which will get me "stoned"?? hmmmm!?!?

Hell if MJ is such a terrible "gateway drug" maybe I'll get "all doped up" and buy some Evan Williams!:hubba: THEN..I can wreck my truck into a family of five...because I was "high".. Yes our law is flawed...

TentFarmer said:
My latest brew is a wheat bear flavored with coriander seed and orange peel.

Very good indeed.

Be more than happy to confirm that for you. I LOVE wheat beir.

Quickly! Before Ze Germanz get here!!!

Latest posts

Back