Polycythemia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintz

Reaction score
Can MJ cause blood disorders like Polycythemia? I have been diagnosed with Polycythemia and I am trying to figure out if it comes from smoking or the pain medicine I am on from my Pain managment doc.

Any info would be appreciated.

mintz said:
Can MJ cause blood disorders like Polycythemia? I have been diagnosed with Polycythemia and I am trying to figure out if it comes from smoking or the pain medicine I am on from my Pain managment doc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Because one of the causes of secondary polycythemia is smoking, using marijuana by smoking it may cause you problems. This is something that you should be completely honest with your doctor about. Tell your doctor about your marijuana usage and let your doctor decide if it's harmful to you or not.

Secondary polycythemia is caused by either natural or artificial increases in the production of erythropoietin that result in an increased production of erythrocytes. In secondary polycythemia, there may be 6 to 8 million and occasionally 9 million erythrocytes per cubic millimeter of blood. A type of secondary polycythemia in which the production of erythropoietin increases appropriately is called physiologic polycythemia. Physiologic polycythemia occurs in individuals living at high altitudes, where oxygen availability is less than at sea level.

Yes it can induce true PV in my opinion.

My name is Robert and I am the listowner of MPD-SUPPORT-L. Please know that there is more then one Internet myeloproliferative disease support list. We currently have over 2,500 subscribers and we've been around since 1994.

Join us, we recently posted about the risks, it is in our archives.

I'm unfamiliar with this particular problem,
but the part I do know about is the talking to your Doc about smoking mj. I am waiting for a transplant, (LIVER) from Hep C, and I am an insulin dependant diabetic. I have arthritus and I'm on a share it all relationship with my Doc. My Doc works with me to literally save my life, or really just to try to extend it. For the Doc to do his job right he accepts all the help from me I can give. I would never want a Doc that offered less. You need to have that in place privatly between you and him. If he gets all wrapped in the legality of you smoking, then you might have a problem. Sorry your ill, I'll put you into prayer.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

never heard of MJ causing any problems before really to any smoker i know.
IF you are on narcotic pain medication that would be the first thing i would suspect.

However i could be wrong...I know first hand the evils of narcotics.

Latest posts

Back