potency problems!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRa

Reaction score
I have been trying to research this for a while, but nobody seems to ever mention it. I have grown about 6 different times from begining to end and I keep having this problem...The plants look great, produce wonderfull looking buds that are full of what appears to be resin glands and then once dryed I smoke it and it is no good! I have two 400w HPS lights that I run in combination with 4 65w compact flouros (two with each hps). I use very good quality soil and seem to fertilize the plants very well(no yellowing or spots or anything). I also keep a fan on the plants at all times when they are big enough to handle the breeze...I keep 6 plants under each combination of lights about 1'3" away. I also have an intake fan bringing air from outside and an outtake fan pumping it out. The temp in my room is in the upper 60's in the dark and in the upper 70's in the light. I check the ph of all the plants regularly and its about 6.75. The humidity in my room is about 50%. The seeds that I purchased were purchased in amsterdam when I went over there and they were from green house seeds and dr atomic. I am about to give up since I have spent a lot of money and time with no success, so this is my last resort...Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow jayra...that happens to be something that happened to me. but the cause of my defect was cutting it before it was ripe. its a fruit man.

i dont konw what else to tell you other that sorry bout your luck.

peace.

Nothing wrong with your plants at all, the problem is you, your not harvesting when the trichomes are amber, your simply cutting her down too early.

JayRa said:
The plants look great, produce wonderfull looking buds that are full of what appears to be resin glands and then once dryed I smoke it and it is no good!

How much area are you covering with those lights, in square feet?

What nutrients are you using?

What lighting schedule did you use?

Did you use a dark period before harvesting?

How long did you have the plants in vegetative cycle?

How long did you flower?

What color were your thricomes when you harvested?

Once you answer ALL of those questions, we can use that information to base a proper answer to your question.

JayRa said:
I have been trying to research this for a while, but nobody seems to ever mention it. I have grown about 6 different times from begining to end and I keep having this problem...The plants look great, produce wonderfull looking buds that are full of what appears to be resin glands and then once dryed I smoke it and it is no good! I have two 400w HPS lights that I run in combination with 4 65w compact flouros (two with each hps). I use very good quality soil and seem to fertilize the plants very well(no yellowing or spots or anything). I also keep a fan on the plants at all times when they are big enough to handle the breeze...I keep 6 plants under each combination of lights about 1'3" away. I also have an intake fan bringing air from outside and an outtake fan pumping it out. The temp in my room is in the upper 60's in the dark and in the upper 70's in the light. I check the ph of all the plants regularly and its about 6.75. The humidity in my room is about 50%. The seeds that I purchased were purchased in amsterdam when I went over there and they were from green house seeds and dr atomic. I am about to give up since I have spent a lot of money and time with no success, so this is my last resort...Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What strains?? How long do you flower?? Do You use a scope to check the trichs??

Hey there JayRa,

First thing right off the batt allow us to welcome you, :welcome:

We do have some great growers in here that could probably grow using asphalt as their medium, LOL Take a few moments to cruise through the site rules, so you don't accidently set yourself up, pull up a comfy chair, and chill.
I see that you got a small list of questions from the group here. Try your best to answer openly and honestly cause these wonderful folks don't look down their noses at you or anyone else, they really do care.
They are very good at what they do, and you stand to gain with them.
Good Luck, and be sure to bring a good sense of the Ha-Ha with you.
Again we welcome you, and we'll smoke one in your honor.
:48:
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

With all that was stated in the beginning it sounds like you might need to get yourself a 30x or better microscope to view your trichs and go for 50/% cloudy to 50/% amber to get the desired results all fruits and vegetables have a window of opportunity to get the best harvest. Don't give up just gain a little more patience which it seems you already have to get this far. I hope this pic helps;) .

that setup sounds like it should be cranking out the dank buds. Get your self a jewelers loope to check out the trichs, are you drying in a dark place, brown bagging, and curing? I would suggest a 3-4 week cure.

I would say it's definantly the time of harvest. Like others have said make sure to look at the trichomes with a magnifying glass and if you want that couchlock high harvest when most of the triches are amber and cloudy. You may be harvesting too early or too late. Most crops will need 8 weeks in flowering stage. But ALWAYS look at triches to be sure cuz every strain is a lil different.

sorry for not answering sooner but my inlaws were here...The strains that I have tried to grow are white widow, both from bcbuddepot and from dr atomic, also northern lights from dr atomic, northern lights x blueberry from dr atomic, and big bang from green house seeds. The growing area was a large room (11'x11'), but the area actually covered by each light configuration was six 5 gallon pots maybe a foot in diameter (area covered by each set of lights was 3'x2'). I have a scope and I made sure that the trichomes were starting to turn amber. As for the Q's about light leek it is minimal due to the fact that the pots are very close toghether and any light that is not direct shouldn't have that big of an impact...also my walls are covered by that insulating material that has a foil like layer that is very reflective. The nutrients I used were just miracle grow for the veg stage and miracle grow flowering for the flowering cycle. I veg'd them untill they were all about 5' tall (4-5months) @ 18h light and then flowered them for the necessary 7-8week period @ 12h of light, but my main way of telling if they were done or not was the trichome color.

as for the curing q, I start by letting it dry in a dark place with good air flow for 2 weeks...maybe test a bit...then let it cure in jars for another 2 weeks...then test it...and I have to smoke almost a full 8th to get even a slight buzz, and I don't know if that is from all the smoke and lack of oxygen to my brain or from thc

JayRa said:
The growing area was a large room (11'x11'), but the area actually covered by each light configuration was six 5 gallon pots maybe a foot in diameter (area covered by each set of lights was 3'x2').

I think I may see the answer. Two 400 watt lights will cover an area about half the size you had. You need at least 3,000 lumens per/square foot of plant canopy.

Before going any further, EXACTLY how many square feet of area were your plants covering. Look at the area, remember how big they were at they're largest and measure it with a tape measure for lenth and width.

Mutiply the length times the width.

I think you had way less light than you needed.

I believe my bulbs are rated to produce 53000 lumens per sq ft each and the added lumens from the fluros at 8000 would put me at about 69000 lumens per sq foot for each of the two 'clusters' , which by george servantes book is plenty of light to produce at least decent pot...I'm an engineer so I'm pretty sure when I designed the room I calculated this accurately...not trying to say that you dont know what you're talking about or anything, because obviously I'm the one with the problem......dimensions of the canopy are the same 2'x3' under each set of lights... and the light is located a foot above the canopy...

also I regularly rotated my plants so that every 3 days they were in the 'brightest' area....man you guys should see how disapointing it is when you have a over 2 pounds of great looking pot that is worthless....

man thats weird! Sounds like you did everything right!! And all strains were like this?

i used a 400hps in an attic, lots of light leaks, and my bud was definitely somkable, but only 2 plants. you vegged 5 feet tall? or 5 inchs(4-5)monthss is wayy way to long. I now think its the light, if you vegged your plants 5 ft, cus they would have to be spread out pretty well, and 6 of them would need a lot of space, 2 400's sure isnt enough of that big of plant and space. but u could of veg till 5 in, but then you got a problem, 5 months for a 5 in tall plant??

they sure were....I've even attempted growing a single plant under one of these light arrangements and nothing

headband said:
i used a 400hps in an attic, lots of light leaks, and my bud was definitely somkable, but only 2 plants. you vegged 5 feet tall? or 5 inchs(4-5)monthss is wayy way to long. I now think its the light, if you vegged your plants 5 ft, cus they would have to be spread out pretty well, and 6 of them would need a lot of space, 2 400's sure isnt enough of that big of plant and space. but u could of veg till 5 in, but then you got a problem, 5 months for a 5 in tall plant??

they were about 4' with the pots added to that height, so maybe 2' 8" plants

Latest posts

Back