Power Outtage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FTP817

Reaction score
I live in northeast texas and about a month ago there was a heavy snow and it built up on trees and knocked them down. So there was a mass power outage for about two days. If I start a grow setup and if another power failure happens how long with out light will the plants survive? Should I invest in a generator because its a pretty expensive loss to have 10-20 plants wasted in middle of growing.With the cost of seeds and time wasted I mean.

FTP817 said:
I live in northeast texas and about a month ago there was a heavy snow and it built up on trees and knocked them down. So there was a mass power outage for about two days. If I start a grow setup and if another power failure happens how long with out light will the plants survive? Should I invest in a generator because its a pretty expensive loss to have 10-20 plants wasted in middle of growing.With the cost of seeds and time wasted I mean.

How often do you have power outages? I live in the mountains and have frequent power outages that last for a while, so I have a generator. But unless you have frequent outages of some duration, a generator and the required wiring is costly.

plants in flower can sit in the dark for a few days if they need to with little harm, as long as you keep them from freezing.

plants that are vegging will start to flower if mature enough, but this can be fixed with a battery powered lantern. It won't be strong enough to grow with, but it will work for keeping them from freaking out.

I'm a northeast coastal resident in an isolated area where a generator is a must. If for nothing else than to provide heat for the plants. I'm just a "better safe than sorry" person. Less stress for me & them.

legalize_freedom said:
plants in flower can sit in the dark for a few days if they need to with little harm, as long as you keep them from freezing.

plants that are vegging will start to flower if mature enough, but this can be fixed with a battery powered lantern. It won't be strong enough to grow with, but it will work for keeping them from freaking out.
:yeahthat:

Exactly right.

Besides the expense, gensets can draw unwanted attention unless you are in a area where everyone has them, like the two mentioned or SoFla after a hurricane.:hubba:

DD

Latest posts

Back