Prepping for first grow! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's great to know some of those generic tents are good, surely! I'll be expanding in the future and I'll gladly chance it then :)

As for my grow room, it's looking like I need a solid $200 more.. so time to look for stuff laying around the house that has value to sell. I have a few things I can think of, just not sure how well they will sell.

So... close....

I know eventually I'll get this sorted out, but what grow schedule should I use? Also, should I adjust from the chart to something else for weed specifically?

Man I feel so newbie ish! :eek:

EllisD said:
Room and some immediate supplies:

1 x GH CALiMAGic Qt
1 x Phat 16x6 375 CFM Carbon Filter
1 x Aluminum 3-Ply Air Duct 6 inch x 25F
1 x Active Air 6" 400 CFM In-line Duct Fan
1 x Gold Label HydroCorn 45 Liter Bag
4 x Eco Plus 6 Inch Air Stone
1 x 600W Sylvania HPS Mogul Base Grow Bulb
1 x GH1514 pH Control Kit
2 x EcoPlus Air 2 6W 2-Outlet Variable Control Air Pump
1 x CAP LumenAire 6 Inch Air-Cool Grow Light Reflector
1 x Rapid Rooter Organic Plugs 50/bag
1 x CAP ValuLine 600W SW Ballast
1 x Sun Hut Silver 4x4x7 Indoor Greenhouse
1 x Active Air Hygro-Thermometer
1 x Titan Controls Apollo 8™ Two Outlet 24 Hour Timer
1 x ProGrip 150LB Light Hanger Pair
1 x Floragro Vegetative Growth Nutrient Quart
1 x FloraBloom Flower & Fruit Nutrient Quart
1 x FloraMicro Micro-Nutrients Quart
1 x Hydrofarm FLP44UN 4FT 4 Lamp T5 Fluorescent Grow Light
1 x GE 54W 48 Inch 6500K T5 HO Fluorescent Lamp 4.pack

Sub-Total: $844.61
United Parcel Service (Ground): $173.76
Total: $1,018.37

the 4ft t5 goes for about 150$ right?, you can buy a MH bulb for about 30$. you won't need the t5's till cloning, which is 4-8 weeks from popping your beans. couple cfl's and fixtures laying around the house will get you through your first seedling phase, before you bump them up to the mh bulb.

i advise against the 6" air stones. i bought a few of the 6" and 12". they dont stay at the bottom of the res cause their too light, and they get tangled in roots to the point where i broke a few trying to get them out.

how much was the hydroton? 45 liters will last you a very long time. maybe you can trim a few bucks by getting a 10liter bag.

ph test strips wont cut it in hydro. you still need a ph and ppm meter.

hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/ecoplus-air-stone-medium-round.html?&cid=318 <<< i buy the medium, very heavy and puts off a nice 12" diameter circle of bubbles. used 2 on my 20gal tote grow.

The Hemp Goddess said:
How much air does it make? I have not had much luck with the smaller air pumps. I have just found using a single larger pump with splitters for the air lines works best for me. I have an air pump that is over twice that size that I am not using now since my flowering room is not full--it will run 12 air lines easily.

while i agree with THG that the big pump with a quality splitter would be ideal. i have to say though, i've been running that exact ecoplus 2 outlet pump for 10 months straight now. bubbling 2 5gal buckets of water 24/7 so that i always have de-chlorinated water available.

the 4ft t5 goes for about 150$ right?, you can buy a MH bulb for about 30$. you won't need the t5's till cloning, which is 4-8 weeks from popping your beans. couple cfl's and fixtures laying around the house will get you through your first seedling phase, before you bump them up to the mh bulb.

Yeah, works for me. I just thought it would be best to get the fixture right off. Just trying to sort the entire process in my head, from seed germination to harvest.. and I get my mind snagged between them growing a few inches and just before flowering.. you explained it before but I'm not 100% grasping it. Going to re-read what you said and sort it out.

i advise against the 6" air stones. i bought a few of the 6" and 12". they dont stay at the bottom of the res cause their too light, and they get tangled in roots to the point where i broke a few trying to get them out.

I was going to use Fishing sinkers. That's what a guy in a video mentioned. :)

ph test strips wont cut it in hydro. you still need a ph and ppm meter.

Meters weren't on the list but I know I need them. Seems I'll get the $36 Hanna digital meters that aren't water proof.. because $75 for a single meter is .. WOOOOOO!

how much was the hydroton?

$28.90 and it was the only sized bag they have.

while i agree with THG that the big pump with a quality splitter would be ideal. i have to say though, i've been running that exact ecoplus 2 outlet pump for 10 months straight now. bubbling 2 5gal buckets of water 24/7 so that i always have de-chlorinated water available.

Yeah, the guy in the same video (does shoutouts to this forum) uses this exact pump.

Thanks again Shortbus. I'm researching literally 14+ hours straight everyday for the last few weeks... I'm getting all the terms and the thought process sorted mostly, it's just a few areas I'm a bit confused with.

i was doing the exact same thing about a year ago

i was doing the exact same thing about a year ago

I actually can't get enough, and feel that it's really preparing me. I'll still have another couple of weeks before the tent is setup, so it's nice to keep playing out the growing scenario in my mind. I've watched a few "start to finish" EBB and FLOW tutorial videos but not much on DWC... and even then, the DWC I'm seeing is with single 5 gal buckets. I'm starting to wonder if I could do 4 buckets instead of 2 20 gals.

Decisions, decisions! :D

you 100% could do 4 5gal. but i wouldn't recommend doing a scrog with them. unless you drill holes in the rim of the lids to fit the hose for your shop vac. you wont be able to remove the lid when you begin weaving your plants throughout the netting.

Yeah I'm thinking of 5gal buckets... if I do that maybe I'll do 5 or 6 plants instead? And if I did the buckets I don't think I would scrog. :(

Really just trying to be sure of myself, but do some things to really push a "first time grow"

i say you go with 4 buckets no scrog. 4 buckets is perfect for a 4x4 space. 4sq ft per bucket is a good ratio.

remember to buy double the amount of buckets. it makes your life so easy when doing reservoir changes.

EllisD said:
Yeah I'm thinking of 5gal buckets... if I do that maybe I'll do 5 or 6 plants instead? And if I did the buckets I don't think I would scrog. :(

Really just trying to be sure of myself, but do some things to really push a "first time grow"
That is why I went soil, to begin with. I am interested in DWC, but I already knew how to grow in dirt, before I started growing indoors. I am still thinking about DWC, but it is hard to change, when you get soil growing dialed in. I might try DWC, next fall when I start back. I will be shutting down my indoor grow, in early May. Too expensive to keep my tent cool, through the summer.
Best of Luck to you Bro.

HomieHogleg

i say you go with 4 buckets no scrog. 4 buckets is perfect for a 4x4 space. 4sq ft per bucket is a good ratio.

remember to buy double the amount of buckets. it makes your life so easy when doing reservoir changes.

Indeed, thanks for the pro tip there! That's what scared me so much about a DWC system, was changing the res out. Four 5 gal buckets with pots it is!

That is why I went soil, to begin with. I am interested in DWC, but I already knew how to grow in dirt, before I started growing indoors. I am still thinking about DWC, but it is hard to change, when you get soil growing dialed in. I might try DWC, next fall when I start back. I will be shutting down my indoor grow, in early May. Too expensive to keep my tent cool, through the summer.
Best of Luck to you Bro.

Well, I'm going to have a very detailed (and noob filled) grow journal going on as soon as I set up my tent. It's going to be loaded with questions along the way, so really hoping to continue getting this excellent support and feedback.

You are all amazing! :D

@Homie: Do you live South / North East / Mid East / South West / North West?

I live in the North East so my climate is a bit crazy. I'l be starting off with cooler temps, but the temps in the area do get pretty warm as the season moves on. Think I'll have to run an A/C on low just to keep it down a tad from late May on?

i'm in the northeast, and i'll be running my room this summer. the central air keeps the room temps in check, b/c of all the air exchange.

ShOrTbUs said:
i'm in the northeast, and i'll be running my room this summer. the central air keeps the room temps in check, b/c of all the air exchange.
I only wish, that I could afford to keep the thermostat low enough to do that, but it is pretty hard to do when outside temps are in the upper 90s, and the low 100s.
Homiehogleg
P.S. I ran a smaller tent, with a 400 hps, last summer, and had major trouble with heat stress.

the central air keeps the room temps in check, b/c of all the air exchange.

Are you talking about the fan(s) inside the tent? Not home central air conditioning right?

I only wish, that I could afford to keep the thermostat low enough to do that, but it is pretty hard to do when outside temps are in the upper 90s, and the low 100s.
Homiehogleg
P.S. I ran a smaller tent, with a 400 hps, last summer, and had major trouble with heat stress.

My tent is going to be above my garage that not attached to my home.. It's a fully insulated space, with all electrical wiring, and just lacks running water and drainage. I'm hoping I won't have to throw in A/C unit in a window to keep it down in the summer, and not have to run oil heater during the colder times. I can do these things, just rather not lol!

EllisD said:
Are you talking about the fan(s) inside the tent? Not home central air conditioning right?

My tent is going to be above my garage that not attached to my home.. It's a fully insulated space, with all electrical wiring, and just lacks running water and drainage. I'm hoping I won't have to throw in A/C unit in a window to keep it down in the summer, and not have to run oil heater during the colder times. I can do these things, just rather not lol!
Since I don't know what the climate is like where you live, I can't say, but down here it gets too hot. HPS lighting creates a lot of heat. I am running 1000 watts, in a 4X4X7 tent. This time of year, my temps, inside my tent, reach a max temp, between 81-82 degrees. I run my flower room, at night, to cut down the temps. I keep the central unit on 64 degrees, and vent my tent outside the room where the tent is. In this way, the lights help keep the central unit from kicking on as often. But yes, heat could be a real problem, for some people, in the summer months.

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
Homiehogleg

90 - 100 here in the summer too, and i run 600watt in a 3x3. i run my central air at 64F all summer anyway. the room runs a little hot 80F-85F, but still very manageable.

EllisD said:

yes, i am talking about the central air in the house. i know it wont work for you b/c your growing above your garage. a window unit might work though. all you have to do is a "dry run" at the beginning of summer to see if the a/c unit will work or not. just run the room with nothing in it for a few days and keep checking the temps and rh within the room. if you can keep the it stable then you can grow.

I have found that when running a grow in temp extreems, it makes things easier to create a room within a room so that you can better control the temps by heating or cooling the air in the outer room before pulling it into the inner room(tent) where the plants are. If you are growing in an attic space then you need mega insulation to block out as much heat as possible. I also use a portable ac and a portable water chiller to chill my hydro res water. That alone does great for keeping the plants cooler. while the portable ac removes a lot of humidity from the incoming air :)

Hushpuppy said:
I have found that when running a grow in temp extreems, it makes things easier to create a room within a room so that you can better control the temps by heating or cooling the air in the outer room before pulling it into the inner room(tent) where the plants are. If you are growing in an attic space then you need mega insulation to block out as much heat as possible. I also use a portable ac and a portable water chiller to chill my hydro res water. That alone does great for keeping the plants cooler. while the portable ac removes a lot of humidity from the incoming air :)

:yeahthat: i'll be running portable a/c and a water chiller soon as i afford them. right now my water chiller consists of rotating coke bottles full of water from the freezer to the res, and back.

I did that for a while. It works but it was a real PITA for me as I don't live close to my grow. :doh:

Cheers for all the replies! :)

I'm going to have ability to use electric oil heat if needed to warm the room in cold temps, and since we run 3 a/c's in the house during warm months anyways.. what's just 1 more A/C unit? :D

As for water cooling.. I saw a decently cheap way with DWC is to contain the container... in another container. Then put some water in it and 1 two liter frozen jug of water.

Update as for this planning.. I'm still waiting for funds to pend through Paypal then I'll need $200 more. Over $1,000 for something I had no clue of less then a month ago. Good idea? lol.. let's hope so! It should pay for itself just in how much I'll save on personal purchase in less than a year.

Latest posts

Back