Prepping for first grow! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can't stress enough how important it is that the roots dont grow into each other while in the 10gal totes. my original plan was to put the seeds in my 10 gal tote. then after i culled the males, i would transplant the remaining females into 5gal buckets. but after just 4 weeks from sow they had already grown together so much i couldn't separate them.

14 days growth

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=802827&postcount=19

21 days growth

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=803714&postcount=23

the plants are not ready to be transplanted at 21 days, but have already grown together. it wont happen as fast with your cause you have only 4 net pots, and i had 9. but i suspect at the end of 4 weeks with 4 pots in a 10 gal, will be grown together too much to separate and transplant.

not saying you cant transplant at 21 - 28 days anyway. but filling 2 20gal totes with nutes and water every 7 - 14 days will use A LOT of nutrients. 4 plants should fill the 10gal tote with roots at about 35 days. thats why i mentioned experimenting with the freezer bags.

EllisD said:
I assume this stuff is just the same as any other hydroton?

hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/gold-label-hydrocorn-45-liter-bag-p-4088.html

that will work perfect.

tip: wash your hydroton with ph'd water before use. the hydroton rubs together causing dust build up in the bag. you wanna get that all off. phing the water you use to rinse the hydroton will reduce ph swing in your res as well.

Thanks.. that's a pro tip that I did learn earlier today watching a video that was recommended already in thread.

Glad to know that Hydroton will work.. figured it would.

How about something like this for veg? I see 2 really large plants in one of these... should work for veg to keep roots away?

hxxp://walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-12.5-Gallon-50-Quart-Wheeled-Latch-Box-Blue-Set-of-4/20699679

12.5 gal, and longer.

yes but you dont want see through tote, unless you plant on covering it with something. light on roots is bad.

this one is similar to the one i use... hxxp://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-10-Gallon-Stacker-Storage-Bins-Nickel-Driftwood-Set-of-6/17164519?findingMethod=rr

something i failed to add b/c i never used 6" pots in a tote before. 6" pots are prolly like 5-6" deep. the tote is only 7" deep, so the pot will sit very close to the bottom. i dunno if this will cause an issue or not. maybe THG can chime in on this one.

yes but you dont want see through tote, unless you plant on covering it with something. light on roots is bad.

I'd spray paint the outside black, or even use black duct tape?

And yeah, I was wondering about the depth, but check this picture:

hxxp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-M6RweYDdlpI/Ts9qZK3ogNI/AAAAAAAAAcA/OzvmPTAlCbM/s1600/marijuana_scrog.jpg

That's a FULL flowering in scrog with clear sides and small bin. Surely I could use that bin for vegging only in my situation I'd think.

maybe THG can chime in on this one.

Indeed! :)

yeah that looks real good. i still suggest going with at least 1 20 gal tote and 2 totes is even better. problem with what that guy is doing. he has to top off his tote every day i bet. the plants drink a lot of water at that point.

hahaa I surely wouldn't use the totes that size into flowering like he did!! :)

But surely 1 of those totes with 4 holes in each corner should work well for vegging?

I mean, if not then surely I'll go the 10gal deeper ones and try to experiment with root deflection :D

Well, after $86.00 IN EBAY FEEEEEEEEES....... :)mad:) I'm going to be short for my list. The room is going to have to wait another week or so until I can get funds to finish the room. (Just noticed $29.00 in Paypal fees too.. this is depressing lol)

Here's the room I'm surely getting. I still need 3 bins, SEEDS and some other various items.

What I'm going to do is buy seeds RIGHT off... since they take a bit of time to get to me. Any suggestions with purchasing those? I'm adding the extra fee for the "crush proof" tin they repack into.

Room and some immediate supplies:

1 x GH CALiMAGic Qt
1 x Phat 16x6 375 CFM Carbon Filter
1 x Aluminum 3-Ply Air Duct 6 inch x 25F
1 x Active Air 6" 400 CFM In-line Duct Fan
1 x Gold Label HydroCorn 45 Liter Bag
4 x Eco Plus 6 Inch Air Stone
1 x 600W Sylvania HPS Mogul Base Grow Bulb
1 x GH1514 pH Control Kit
2 x EcoPlus Air 2 6W 2-Outlet Variable Control Air Pump
1 x CAP LumenAire 6 Inch Air-Cool Grow Light Reflector
1 x Rapid Rooter Organic Plugs 50/bag
1 x CAP ValuLine 600W SW Ballast
1 x Sun Hut Silver 4x4x7 Indoor Greenhouse
1 x Active Air Hygro-Thermometer
1 x Titan Controls Apollo 8™ Two Outlet 24 Hour Timer
1 x ProGrip 150LB Light Hanger Pair
1 x Floragro Vegetative Growth Nutrient Quart
1 x FloraBloom Flower & Fruit Nutrient Quart
1 x FloraMicro Micro-Nutrients Quart
1 x Hydrofarm FLP44UN 4FT 4 Lamp T5 Fluorescent Grow Light
1 x GE 54W 48 Inch 6500K T5 HO Fluorescent Lamp 4.pack

Sub-Total: $844.61
United Parcel Service (Ground): $173.76
Total: $1,018.37

Sorting things out now that I DO have most of the funds. ...... I need to sell something else, I hate not buying the ENTIRE package of something to be ready!!

So if anyone can check this list and find out how to trim.. $150 or so :)facepalm:)

:D

Wow, Ellis D, best of luck and greenest mojo for your upcoming grow!

Measure twice and cut once, eh? :D

peace,

:icon_smile: key :icon_smile:

Thank you Key! I think I'm getting things fully sorted out for sure!

This forum has been so amazing, I just feel like I can not mention that enough.

Almost wish I had a couple of you on my tablet though, just ready to answer questions! Direct convo, back and fourth... like a portable "mirror mirror on the wall" lol. :D

Ive only had ebay fees when I sell stuff...what was the fees for?

mojo for the grow
:48:

For selling stuff :)

You must have missed the rest of this thread 4u hah. I had to sell a very prized possession just to get the money to fund the entire grow...and after fees, I'm still shy about $150.00 :(

It's $89.00 eBay fee and $29.00 paypal fee.

Hopefully I'll find another couple hundred sooner than the next couple weeks... but if not then I must wait to compile more funds.

I don't think the air pump you listed will be enough. It comes with a 6 way splitter. You want the water to look like it is at a full boil. This is what I use: hXXp://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-AAPA45L-20-Watt-45-LPM-Commercial/dp/B002JPRNOU

What light have you decided to buy? I notice that you have everything listed separately? A lot of the set-ups come with the timer, the MH bulb, and the light hangers included.

There you are THG. There's a "sweet spot" of time when you come around, so I'm going to use your knowledge best I can while you're here! :)

As for the pump, it's a 6w 2 outlet pump.. isn't that exactly what I need? Two 6" airstones, one for under each plant? I saw that used in a video Growdude linked. :shrug: Gladly correct me if I'm wrong.

As for light, here's the combine parts for the light setup:

1 x CAP ValuLine 600W SW Ballast
1 x CAP LumenAire 6 Inch Air-Cool Grow Light Reflector
1 x 600W Sylvania HPS Mogul Base Grow Bulb

Then 6" 400CFM fan, 6" Carb Filter

Hey Ellis, You were asking about seeds earlier. I think you had mentioned a day or two ago that you were interested in Pineapple Chunk from Barney's Farm. I am currently growing that in hydro as is 2 of my buds, and everyone really likes it. Good smoke, good high, pretty easy to grow, nice yields, and clones easy. The phenotype that we got is a bit leggy but not bad. We got it femenised and had no trouble with it at all. Its a very sturdy plant that handles training well early but gets really woody the older it gets, which makes training a little tricky. I wouldn't try to grow this one in scrog because of the legginess of it.

I also like Larry OG Kush. Its a shorter bushier plant with smaller but very sweet smelling buds. Not difficult to grow or clone. It seems to do well in scrog. The last run of it was a very nice ballanced high. The buds are not as big as others I have grown but it makes up for ther size with a greater number of nice nugget size buds.

Another one that a lot of my smokers really like is Blue Mystic. It yields nice with very good size buds. Very heady Sativa high, and an unbelievably sweet "maple syrup" smell and taste. She takes well to training and would be a good candidate for scrog. A little tempermental to grow(for me at least) but not bad if the environ is kept under control. This one also clones very easy.

I hope this helps ya some :)

LOL--I am on here almost every morning, but through the day, it pretty much depends on how nice the weather is and whether I can get out of the house.

How much air does it make? I have not had much luck with the smaller air pumps. I have just found using a single larger pump with splitters for the air lines works best for me. I have an air pump that is over twice that size that I am not using now since my flowering room is not full--it will run 12 air lines easily.

How much is your light setup costing (include the cost of the MH bulb, the timer, and the hanging straps)?

A pheno that is a little leggier may be an asset for scrog.

HushPuppy, thanks so much for checking in!! I very much value what you said :)

I'm a big Pineapple Express / Skunk fan, so I hadddd to go with the Pineapple Chunk! :) But I'm up for any Indica dominant strain that smells very skunky and tastes earthy / skunky .

@ THG: Well I appreciate any and everytime you step into this thread.. especially since I'm set on DWC with Scrog now. :)

Light: $232.69.. no MH, since I did end up factoring in a 4' T5 setup. :D

Also, I'm trying to buy everything in one spot so it all gets shipped together. I'm shipping to a UPS store that's 15 minutes from me.

EllisD said:
HushPuppy, thanks so much for checking in!! I very much value what you said :)

I'm a big Pineapple Express / Skunk fan, so I hadddd to go with the Pineapple Chunk! :) But I'm up for any Indica dominant strain that smells very skunky and tastes earthy / skunky .

@ THG: Well I appreciate any and everytime you step into this thread.. especially since I'm set on DWC with Scrog now. :)

Light: $232.69.. no MH, since I did end up factoring in a 4' T5 setup. :D

Also, I'm trying to buy everything in one spot so it all gets shipped together. I'm shipping to a UPS store that's 15 minutes from me.
Hey Bro, to get your costs down further, check out Grow Tent Package deals, on Ebay. Then look at the same seller, to pick up the other things on your list. With such a large purchase, you will find many sellers will ship for free.

HomieHogleg

@Homie: All the prices I've been comparing on eBay since your post, are directly comparable to this package I have sorted out on plantlighting hydroponics. :/

Thank you for the suggestion, I would love to safe some money! :)

There's a few things I'm trying to not cut corners on, and tent is surely one. Lots of China made generics that I'm sure work alright, but I'd rather not chance it.

EllisD said:
@Homie: All the prices I've been comparing on eBay since your post, are directly comparable to this package I have sorted out on plantlighting hydroponics. :/

Thank you for the suggestion, I would love to safe some money! :)

There's a few things I'm trying to not cut corners on, and tent is surely one. Lots of China made generics that I'm sure work alright, but I'd rather not chance it.
I understand where you are coming from. But as a proud owner, of 2 different cheap tents, I have had no problems with either of mine. And yes, you have picked a good company to purchase from.
HomieHogleg

Latest posts

Back