pruning in flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pruned up at least 1/3rd....5-8 oz plants.

Pruning is critical to acheive optimum quality and weight. All the energy used by the plant to support the lowers is wasted. That energy is better used to fully develop fatter,denser nugs twords the top.
It took me a long time to prune the way I do, and the benefits far out weigh the cons. Prune em up till you cry, then prune a few more inches.

gr prune.jpg

gr.jpg

depetreono said:
Willy green how long do you veg to get a yield of 5-8oz? And what strain?

Hes random to log in. He grows my strains and veges till they are pretty big. He does the less/larger plants to stay under plant limit.

nouvellechef said:
Hes random to log in. He grows my strains and veges till they are pretty big. He does the less/larger plants to stay under plant limit.
That's what it's all about..more from less....

I only veg for 1 month or till 12-15 inches tall then flower. So I won't be getting 8oz per plant any time soon lol. But I am going to start pruning the bottom 1/4 next grow and see how it turns out. I'm starting a new strain and don't want to try to much new stuff without knowing my strain first. But vegging longer I see the benefit of pruning 1/3 bc they are so tall the lower third is getting no light at all. This is why I love this site. I looked at other and nobody has a clue. Over here its like harvard lol.

GD how much you spend on electricity. I seen your setup started with 2 400w then went to 3 400w. That's got to get pricey. I run 1 600w for 6 plants. But I'm not hydro.

depetreono said:
GD how much you spend on electricity. I seen your setup started with 2 400w then went to 3 400w. That's got to get pricey. I run 1 600w for 6 plants. But I'm not hydro.

if your going for yield 6 plants is too much for 1 600watt, while it may be good for plant vegged say 4-5 weeks. if you want them to grow bigger youll need more light than 1x 600 watt. i normaly dont do much training, but it seems like 4 plants per 600 watt gives the best results for me.

6 plants would be under x2 600s and have a bit of walking room. the 3x 400s will provide better coverage, less pentration though on taller plants with about the same wattage.

depetreono said:

I have 1000 watt light now.

The good thing with my setup is I dont pay the electric, just share the smoke.

I only veg for a few weeks. My ceiling height is 6' 2" so I don't have much room to veg. I used to grow with soil and got maybe 2oz per plant dry. As soon as I switched to DWC, I started getting a minimum of 4oz dry. I just have 1 600 HPS in a 3x5 space with mylar on the walls. I try to cut the bottom third of the plant when I throw into flowering. Not all the branches, but the little stuff. I thin it out as much as I can. Within a week it all grows back on top and looks much better. I thin out shade leaves weekly. Now after reading everybody's comments about why I shouldn't be doing that, i'm reconsidering. My next ladie that goes into flower won't get her shade leaves touched. I'll report my results. The first crop I had with DWC was just some random seed. Good quality and I got 4oz dry. After that was pineapple chunk. 6oz dry. Next crop was lemon skunk. I got 8oz dry. After that was blueberry. I got just over 7oz. I'm now back to Lemon skunk & blueberry. I have never had results like this before. I use general Hydro for my nutes. Nothing crazy here, but its working.

Those strains sound mighty familiar Willy....:)
Tell Nchef to throw my Larry OG cut your way. :D

LOL I forgot about Larry!! He gave me a little over 5oz dry, but he was very hard to clone.

There are 4 plants here. I put them in one week after another. None of these were veged for more than a few days. The tall one in the back was literally 4" tall when I put it into flower 4 weeks ago.

Seems to me that everyone gets much larger results from hydroponics then soil. I'm considering switching. Is it more expensive to maintain? I asume the start up might be a little buying the stuff but after that seems to have a larger yield in the same amount of time.

I think it's fairly inexpensive to maintain. I really like the fact that I no longer need to buy soil, deal with transplanting, and then disposing of soil. Thats a lot of work right there. With Hydro I only have water and hydroton which is reusable. I feel like it grows faster than soil and there really isn't much to maintain. I spend maybe $100 A year on nutes. DWC is really simple for me, but I have a pretty small setup too. Don't hesitate.

WillyGreen28 said:
There are 4 plants here. I put them in one week after another. None of these were veged for more than a few days. The tall one in the back was literally 4" tall when I put it into flower 4 weeks ago.

They look to have major stretch, what kind of lighting do you use?
Temps in control?

Using a 600 hps. Temps in mid 70s consistantly. That strain is lemon skunk. Sativa dominent. The strain in front is blueberry. I put that one in flower a week before the tall one in back.

PuffinNugs said:
if your going for yield 6 plants is too much for 1 600watt, while it may be good for plant vegged say 4-5 weeks. if you want them to grow bigger youll need more light than 1x 600 watt. i normaly dont do much training, but it seems like 4 plants per 600 watt gives the best results for me.

6 plants would be under x2 600s and have a bit of walking room. the 3x 400s will provide better coverage, less pentration though on taller plants with about the same wattage.
##Sorry i have to disagree puffin i have 6 x under 1 x 600 and i can say now @ 29 days of 63 i will achieve min of 4oz dry per plant and vegged for 1 week if i remember right.
And you multi they is well cool looking plants but ditch the gpw bollox and just say i want 4-5 oz a plant.:holysheep::eek::hubba:
And lastly i thought the idea of growing was more plants for less bud:rolleyes:
Joe folks.
T4

I flipped my room about 12 days ago, and am in the process of pruning them. I pretty much finished up today and would have to say I pruned up at least half way, if not 2/3rds. I will take a few pics to show.

Latest posts

Back