question on room temps??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pop

Reaction score
hi i live in the uk and have a council house which i am not allowed to drill masive holes in the walls to put a extractor fan in and was wondering if anyone had any websites that has anything that could help keep the grow room cool. i cant get it down from 35 or 40 oC. it is driving me nuts here. anyone with idears?? also i don't get free water either

Try having the light on at nite... or getting a vented reflector... vortex fans... or AC =)

I see a good many references in these posts to keeping grow rooms cool. I understand that fresh air is most beneficial to growth, and fans facilitate that objective. Furthermore, HID lighting, in particular, can get an enclosed space really hot, requiring cooling of some kind. But, I have long been under the impression that the plants' production of resin is tied to the temp of the growing environment. Basically, I thought that warmer temps mean higher production of resin, that it is the plants' natural protective response to high temperatures. More resin = more THC, right, or another misconception on my part?

Have I been laboring under a false impression? Sounds like around 80 degrees is the most you should allow, and more heat will succeed only in stressing the plants.

Mummyscurse said:
I thought that warmer temps mean higher production of resin, that it is the plants' natural protective response to high temperatures. More resin = more THC, right, or another misconception on my part?

The amount of resin production is more dependant on the ambient humidity than on temperature. With good air flow, the natural CO2 is replenished and can also cause the leaf surface to become dehydrated. The plant uses the resin to keep it's leaf moist and transpiration to stay as steady as possible under adverse conditions.

Above 85F, most strains start slowing their growth rate. Above 100, some plants growth becomes dormant until cooler temps arrive.

Of course, when I first started growing, some 40+ years ago, there was no "internet", as such, with which research of this kind could readily be done. So, lacking friends who grew, and who could modify my beliefs, I just kept making the same mistakes. I already have cut a hole for a 20" box fan, until I can examine my growing area for more needed modifications. That area, which I use for sprouting, cuttings, and vegitative growth, is in the attic, and it does get warm up there...the fan seems to have already dropped the temp by 10 - 15 degrees fahrenheit, to the point where it feels comfortable, not overly warm.

Next comes a hydroponics system, to replace the dirt growth I've always used. Many, many thanks, and more to come I'm sure, for setting me straight on issues that I've overlooked or misunderstood!

pop, i have 3 suggestions. first, i have a totally sealed grow room within a room - i put in a portatable A/C unit - but you do need an exhaust for the unit's heat produced by the generator. secondly, remove the ballasts from the grow room to reduce inside heat. thirdly, you can run tubes or reflectors on yer lights that are sheided and ducted to remove the heat of the bulbs. this third option works the best but the most expensive. i run 4 - 1000w bulbs in a 9' x 10' room with all tubed and vortec fan exhausted - temps are 27C or 80F and ballasts removed. and a portable A/C unit. remember that this is fer 3 - 1000w HPS and 1 - 1000w MH. so depending on yer lights......................

Stoney
Isn't the production of resin also to help protect against UV rays?
Thought I read that somewhere....

Latest posts

Back