quick potting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noob84

Reaction score
alright, so i want to grow 3 plants in a box sized 2x2x5. i have pots that are about 7 inches wide at the top, 5 at the bottom. i would say around 3/4 of a gallon total. are these pots big enough for 3 mature plants? if not, can i grow plants from seeds to mature in 2-3 gallon pots or do i have to transfer? comments?

Noob84 said:
alright, so i want to grow 3 plants in a box sized 2x2x5. i have pots that are about 7 inches wide at the top, 5 at the bottom. i would say around 3/4 of a gallon total. are these pots big enough for 3 mature plants? if not, can i grow plants from seeds to mature in 2-3 gallon pots or do i have to transfer? comments?
Whats up Noob84. For every foot of plant you need 1 gallon of dirt. So if you plan on growing 2 foot plants you will need 2 gallon pots. ;)

dang, really? that seems like a ton of dirt. if i want to turn them over every 45 days or so, how many feet tall are they going to get keeping in mind that i am close to retarded when it comes to greenthumbing.

Noob84 said:
dang, really? that seems like a ton of dirt. if i want to turn them over every 45 days or so, how many feet tall are they going to get keeping in mind that i am close to retarded when it comes to greenthumbing.
It all depends on the strain, lighting, venilation and so on. I myself would just go with the 2 gallon pots. ;)

"45 days" flowering to maturity?...I've tried a few so called "early" strains that are said to finish in 6 weeks, but have never actually found one.

well, i'm new. here's what i got:
2x2.5x5 foot box, painted flat white. i've got 8000 lumens. two fans blowing 28 cfm per minute. trying to grow three plants at a time. how does this sound? everything good? or is there something i should change?

..sounds like a pretty good start there Noob'..
are the fans installed as "flow thru" ventilation?..
I think your lumens are probably ..'ok', for vegging, but would consider an upgrade for flowering...

i got a little creative in the fans, one blows into the box just above the top of the pots, the other is a cyclone fan that faces downward to **** up the air at the top of the box and pushes it out. i thought it was a good idea because of the whole heat rising idea.

sounds beter than my fan setup i have a window fan in a hole i cut with the exchange setting on and they are set to low

how close can i put my socket lights to the plants? 6 inches? i hear they can be a lot closer than other lights.

Noob84 said:
how close can i put my socket lights to the plants? 6 inches? i hear they can be a lot closer than other lights.
I have the same question

Can 3, one foot plants grow in a rectangular 3 gallon pot?What if I wanted 2 feet?I guess that rectangular would need to be 6 gallons?

caribbean_smoker_20 said:
I have the same question

Can 3, one foot plants grow in a rectangular 3 gallon pot?What if I wanted 2 feet?I guess that rectangular would need to be 6 gallons?

You should never put more then one plant in one pot. They'll get all root entangled and kill each other off.
You can put your cfls as close as you can, as long as it isn't hot enough to burn the plant... put your hand underneath... if it hurts your hand after a minute, it'll hurt the plant.

so its a whole minute as a rule? what if it just feels hot but you could stand to put your hand there for 10 minutes, is that ok?

Noob84 said:
so its a whole minute as a rule? what if it just feels hot but you could stand to put your hand there for 10 minutes, is that ok?

It is just how ppl rate it... if u put your hand under it.. and it isn't uncomfortable.. then it is okay... I have a 1000w hps vert mounted... and I can place it 4" from the tops and it doesn't burn... i have a fan that blows on high all the time as well tho whisking away teh heat.

i now have two 50 cfm fans and i can touch the CFL's without it hurting even if i leave my hand on them for extended periods. does that mean i should put the plants an inch or two away from the lights?

the rule of thumb is water when the potis dry 2 inches deep. is that bone dry? like dust dry? or just when 2 inches down is no longer damp?

Noob84 said:
i now have two 50 cfm fans and i can touch the CFL's without it hurting even if i leave my hand on them for extended periods. does that mean i should put the plants an inch or two away from the lights?

the rule of thumb is water when the potis dry 2 inches deep. is that bone dry? like dust dry? or just when 2 inches down is no longer damp?

Measure water by weight of the pot... if it feels too light, water it.... yeah if u can get them 2" from the tops w/o burning then go for it man... if you see the leaves not liking it.. just back it off the next day.

Latest posts

Back