Quick watering question again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KronicKing32

Reaction score
Ok I have a good plant going and I'm just curiious if I'm watering right. Is it best to water when the soil is just damp or should it be completely dry before each watering?

the best way to tell is to stick your finger 2 inches into the soil. if its damp, and not completely dry, dont water. if ur finger comes out dry, water. the reason u do this test is because sometimes the top layer of the soil looks very dry due to all the heat from your cab/light, but below there might still be wayter retained and feeding the plant.

OR u can get a moisture meter for cheap. those r VERY helpful.

I don't reccomend sticking your fingers into the soil. By simply lifting the pots and noting the weight when they are just watered and doing the same, after a few days and it dries completely. you can know just by picking up the pot if they need water or not.

Another easy way to tell is when the soil starts to pull away from the side of the pot. It's normally completely dry by then.

never keep the soil constantly moist. You need wet and dry cycles to encourage root growth and inhibit root rot.

Thanks guys! Would one of those terra cotta worm things you put in outside plants to test if the soil is dry or wet be a good idea, they get dark when the soil is moist, I just don't know how accurate they are.

Mr.WakenBake is correct, the soil does need to dry, this not only helps fight root rot, but also allows air to get into the soil helping it to breath and encouraging the microbes that release nitrogen. Don't push it untill your plants are drooping though. The twist on this is that mj likes water as it does fantastically well if near a water table. Deep long drinks are the best as this also helps flush the soil like a good rain does naturally So all in all you start out with a good soaking, avoid the finger test,(though it does work), because there will be small spider roots looking for food and water and breaking them by accident just slows your grow, after your good soaking watch how the soil is drying, I do like the small probes as per tigerdude, and feeling the weight of the container is good untill you get a BIG container, then your just going to strain your milk lifting it each time. The small probe will allow you to get a read from several locations for a more accurate picture of how moist the soil really is. Great question, and the truth is you will pick up on your babies needs fast just naturally.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

or there is some soil that u can buy that is called moisture control made by miricale grow it holds moisture equally top and botton of the pot and released when needed instead of all the water goin to the bottom of the pot and the top drying out faster then the bottom.

MG moisture control soil is crap... really there may be some people that can grow in it but it's not for new growers. anyways.

Latest posts

Back