Quiet Running Lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BuddyLuv

Looking for any suggestions for a quite running MH set-up. I am looking to keep that buzz down to a minimum.

i had a 600w digital ballast.. and its as loud or louder
than my regular magnatic 1000w ballast.

makes you wonder if digital ballasts are so great why they install fans in them.
just another thing to fail. go with cheaper more reliable magnetic ballast.

MrPuffAlot said:
i had a 600w digital ballast.. and its as loud or louder
than my regular magnatic 1000w ballast.

makes you wonder if digital ballasts are so great why they install fans in them.
just another thing to fail. go with cheaper more reliable magnetic ballast.

any alternating current device, solid state (digital) or not at those kind of powers will have some hum but a digi should be quieter. If it's not, it's due to poor tolerances in the values of some components.

They install fans in the larger digital ballasts because although, on the whole, they make less heat than magnetic ballasts, some of the components tolerate heat less well than the transformer in a magnetic ballast. Digital ballasts are more reliable, with comparable quality devices, than magnetic ballasts. A good one is also going to give more accurately regulated, cleaner, more stable power to the lamp.

I'm not arguing, or trying to be funny or anything like that but it sounds to me like the digi ballast you had was a poor quality one. A poor quality digital ballast is not better than a good magnetic one, but like for like quality, a digital ballast WILL be better than magnetic.

GreenMan74 said:
It should be nearly silent. I have a 600 that is very quiet. Has no fan.

What is a good brand to look for. I am looking for a kit (ballast, cord, and reflector)

Sometimes you can cram a wood shim where it vibrates to stop it. You may have to take the ballast apart to get to the transformer.

I think an old bulb can also cause the vibration.

BuddyLuv said:
What is a good brand to look for. I am looking for a kit (ballast, cord, and reflector)

I got my light stuff through Hidhut. HTG supply is good also.

I have a 400 Watt Digital ballast from HTGsupply. Brand is Digital Greenhouse. It is absolutely silent, not a peep. There is no fan in it. I love it, not one complaint.
Plus with Digital Ballasts, you can use both lamp types, HPS or MH. (i think).

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back