Rainsoft water softener question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeytimes

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Reaction score
Ok I have just heard that my water softener which is a Rainsoft water softener could be bad for my plants I plan to grow (soon as I get the darn room built)
I know the system works by using salt (iodine solution) to remove calcium and magnesium from the water. my water comes from a comunity well and does get some filtration.

I don't have a PET tester yet
Will this mean I will have to buy RO water?
Does anyone have any tips for people with water softeners?

IME water softener use salt to backwash a filter media. No salt is put in the water discharged from the water softener to be used for drinking and other uses. The salt is discharged in the drain line from unit.

Ok thanks that explains how the salt works :D

But after some reading since the calcium and magnesium are micro nutes would this be a problem? I plan on starting on Fox Farms Big Grow, Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom. Would this create a nutrient deficiency?

Might want to add a little CalMag to help replace what is lost through the softening. maybe 1/2 a dose would do the trick.

I'm sure Hemp Goddess can find the link to our first big debate over this but it really comes down to this.
An RO system let's you start from scratch on your water when adding Nutes. Non better.
When using a watersoftner install a carbon filter before it. This is what I do. I just don't like dealing wirth an RO. Personal opinion.
Carbon filter before your sofner will remove most chemicals in the water and total undesolved solids down to .05 micron.
The softner will remove total undesolved solids threw ion exchange. The brine mix when in flushes threw removes those minerals from the resin threw ion exchange as well.
If you have a good water softner with a Fleck valving system. The most amount of salt that should be in your water system(water heater,toilets and all your water lines) is the amount that is one slice of white bread....
If you are concerened about the salt switch to potasium cloride rather than use sodium cloride. And to make your softner last longer don't use the yellow bag of mortons pellets use the rock salt. Those pellets have a bonding agent to make the pellet form. This agent will groove your valves and cause leakage threw the system.

Thanks city, I think I have this issue covered. I have found the inline filter and just need to tie it into the incomming water line.

This site really does kick arse when it comes to getting good info. :headbang2: Thanks for all the replies. :D

I use a water softener, which then goes to a 200gpd (gallon per day) RO system with out any problems. In hind sight, I would have got the 500gpd RO system.

Latest posts

Back