Removal of Male Preflowers from herms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seattle Bong Ripper

Joint Rolling Machine
Reaction score
hey all im a first time grower and poster

quick info i have 3 plants left in my small cfl and soil growbox after removing the males and one hermie. they are in their 7th week from seed. two are females for sure, and one is showing female all over, but i think there's one male preflower on it.

so my question is, if i have a perfectly beautiful lady with just one male preflower, is it possible to carefully remove the preflower with a razor blade and save the plant?

it sounds risky, but i just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this?

thank you

Get some Dutch Master Reverse and some Penetrator and give them a nice foliar feeding now, then in your first week of flowering and then again in your thrid week of flowering.

This will knock all of those nasty male flowers off, and it really works

toke@smoke420 said:
seatle bong you could put the hermie outside and jsut let it seed itself out their...

This was a good idea! Or if you can not carry it out, let it be in a make swift isolation chamber. Hermies taint the strains and so long as you are not desperate enough to have a hermaphrodite, just let it stay away from your actual crop. Use disinfectants after you are done with it, never go into your actual grow room with the clothes you had while you tended the hermaphrodite plant.

If you are going to keep it alive, do it in a safe environment and never let polens escape!

i thought about isolation, but unfortunateley it is planted in the same bucket as one of the females, their roots are intertwined and changing pots individually isnt possible.

i went straight from jiffy pots to 3 gal buckets i believe, i know they are too small, but this first grow was just a practice grow, next time theyll all be in their own larger buckets

i actually had 9 plants in 8 jiffy pots, then went to 4 buckets with 2 or 3 plants in each bucket, and those were crammed into a 3ft wide x 15 inch deep x 3ft tall cardboard box enclosure, theyre doing pretty good for how cramped they are. but after this hermie is taken care of i will be down to 2 so they will have some breathing room

now you see, never plant more than one plant to a pot. hey, i know you pain bro, i just had to chop a hermie this morning. now i am down to 3 ladies!!!

Three options you can pursue at this time. 1) Trash anything that is showing a confirmed sign of being male. That is the best policy. 2) Your second best bet would be quarantine. Put the plant showing confirmed signs of being male into a chamber all by itself. 3) The least advised course of action would be to cut the male sack off of the plant and hope for the best. If you decide to just cut it off be sure to completely check that plant from top to bottom EVERY night for more male sacks and remove them as they appear.

A male sack can develop, mature, and drop its payload in one night so keep your eyes peeled.

Oh I just read your last post. That is a bummer that they are in the same pot, but live and learn. You should only really keep them in the same pot for the first week or so. After that you really need to transplant them. Myself, I just let them start in their own pots right of the bat. That way there are absolutely no issues with roots getting tangled up in case something like what happened to you happens in my garden.

Your getting some good experience though, keep on learning!

Don't forget mate, we have enacted a guideline in the forum that all links need to have "hxxp" in place of the "http" when being posted.

It is for our own continued protection.

Not trying to be a prick or anything, but you know. We don't want ol' johnny law knocking down our doors over something stupid. ;)

thanks guys. that dutch master reverse looks awesome, if i wasnt broke i would get some. but i am broke, so i chopped and tossed my hermie earlier today

Doesn't using those types of "sterilizing" chemicals run the risk of damaging the plants? I have read that you have a better chance of just all out killing the plant than you do actually saving it, but I don't know for sure as I have never tried it.

It looks pretty interesting though, but I say if that stuff worked as good as it proclaims than everyone would be pushing it in the forums here. I guess it would be worth a shot to try though.

toke@smoke420 said:
seatle bong you could put the hermie outside and jsut let it seed itself out their...
don't do it u'll b puttin' hermie traits into those seeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!don't ever propegate hermies. snuff em out

I agree. Once a plant hermies it will carry that trait within its seeds forever. That is why feminized seeds sometimes hermi, because they still carry that trait which sucks.

pussum said:
Doesn't using those types of "sterilizing" chemicals run the risk of damaging the plants? I have read that you have a better chance of just all out killing the plant than you do actually saving it, but I don't know for sure as I have never tried it.

It looks pretty interesting though, but I say if that stuff worked as good as it proclaims than everyone would be pushing it in the forums here. I guess it would be worth a shot to try though.

It is all about research...There are numberous products that are in my opinion essential, that most people do not use. For example, beneficial bacteria and fungi, enzymes and organic catalysts. But you can not expect people to do your research for you, and then post their results everytime they discover a product. With that said if you research the product by even doing a simple google search you will see that there is a lot of information regarding this product on a lot of other forums, almost all of them, we actually just had a discussion about this last week or so in one of the threads here. I am just about sure it was puffin afatty that also uses this on FEMALE plants that start to put out a few balls.

Dutch Master Reverse has been around for a while now, but it use to go by the name of Feminizer. Please tell me where you have read that killing the plant is better then using reverse?

Reverse works by inhibiting the production of the male sex hormones in the plant. Similar to STS, but in the exact reverse. The major difference being that reverse will do nothing to a genetic male, it doesn't change it only inhibits

Latest posts

Back