reusing soil indoors.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vocalfurball

Reaction score
should i reuse the soil? using Fox Farm Ocean in 5gal pots.

why not? you are planning on flushing them at some point any way, just flush thefirst time the soil is wet.

Be always changin soil givin the little ladies fresh undies yual wouldnt want to were yur friends used underwares now to would ya? Just be nice to have its own fresh start in the mornin. jmo I starts fresh everytime but its just what I dos. Good luck trail travelin partner.

BWD

I reuse as well, but not until after a year in a compost bin.

I wouldn't be reusing FFOF. As I understand it, when planting in FFOF (this is the soil I'm using, too, for my first grow), if I'm not mistaken, as your plants are growing, they're leeching all the nutrients out of that soil. So, if you recycle it, you're going to have to start giving your ladies nutes really early as the soil will no longer have the nutrients your plants need, leaving you with the need to either transplant into fresh soil or nute your girls earlier than usual.

I'd use fresh soil, unless you're amending/composting what you're recycling.

-nasty

My last crop I reused a few buckets of FF mix (not Ocean Fish) and was surprised. Not only was there no discernable difference between the fresh and re-used, but the return was the same.

The re-used buckets were from previous plants which died within the first 30 days of the grow. I just dug up the top 5"-6" of mix and planted the new seedlings - that was a mistake. Problem was that the previous plants grew more root mass than I figured. So when I went to smash up the 2nd-use root ball I found it simply would not break up. The root mass was incredible and made the ball so tight it took an axe to break them apart.

But I felt guilty for reusing the old soil and probably won't do it again much. Made me feel like I was only being cheap and lazy (smile).

vocalfurball said:
should i reuse the soil? using Fox Farm Ocean in 5gal pots.

Unless you have more money than good sense of course you reuse it.

Simply reamend, let it cook a bit and you're GTG.

Read the 3LB's sticky on reusing soil in the organics section. I reuse mine for ~3 years till the peat breaks down totally, then it goes on the garden.

I actually have better results with *used* mix than freshly mixed. YMMV

Wet

I reuse some of my coco If I can shake it out of the rootballs when I toss them. It works pretty good if it hasn't built up much salt. :)

Latest posts

Back