Rockwool turning green (mold?) and yellow leaves- help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
*****UPDATED WITH PICS- SCROLL DOWN TO REPLIES*******

Got some clones in a 4x4 tent using a flood table setup. Right now they seem to be barely growing, leaves are turning yellow and 2 cubes look like they are getting moldy. The light is air cooled, 1000w, temps in the mid 70s or so, maybe a tad higher in the middle of the day. 18 hours of light and it was being watered twice a day for about 15 minutes. What might be wrong? Not enough nutes? not enough water? Thanks

Well the rockwool is just normal, But the yellow leaves could be anything... Like many will tell you we need pictures because
it could be a long list of things.... Over neuts, under neuts, PH......

ive never considered algae on rockwool a problem though recently hydrostoreguy told me it could encourage root probs...but ive never had em. my first grow i was real worried so i took 5% bleach and small paint brush and dabbed it on algae a few minutes after last flood(with the logic being for bleach to dissipate as much as possible before its watered). got rid of algae and had no ill effects but since ive learned it would have been much better to use h2o2. they also have little covers made for your RW cubes which im gonna start using.

Yeah it is algae on your rockwool, the bad thing about algae is that it is an oxygen theif. It can be sufficating your roots inside of the rockwool. The easiest and safest way to get rid of algae is to block its light source. Algae needs two things to grow water and light, cut 1 of the two and algae can not grow. So you need to cover your cubes with some hydroton or something.

What is your ppm?

maineharvest said:
are they rooting right now? clones turn yellow when they are putting energy into establishing roots.
Well they were rooted in cocoanut cubes, then they were put atoop the rockwool (it looks like there are some roots growing into the rockwool). Its been about one week since they were first put in. Some look like they have sprouted another set of leaves. Most are about 3-4" tall.

Crazy Horse said:
There is a hydro section u know. And a sick plant section.
i thought i was in the hydro section actually. Maybe mods can move it to there or the sick plant section.

id be willing to bet there getting to much water and not enough O to the roots. whats the entire setup like? ph? nute line age of plant height etc.....we need some pics!

trillions of atoms said:
id be willing to bet there getting to much water and not enough O to the roots. whats the entire setup like? ph? nute line age of plant height etc.....we need some pics!
here are some pics. wow, this is going to take a sec, they look blurry to me. let me know if you need better pics. The nutes are from general hydro, its the flora line, so its floragro, floramicro, florabloom. These were clones from mature mother plants and are about 3" tall. It was recomended to use the vegative recipe by the owner of the shop, but maybe its too harsh? Should i be using the cuttling recipe? The tanle was just flushed today with florakleen. There are 5 recipes to go with-
1. cuttlings and seedlings
2. general purpose
3. vegative growth
4. transition to bloom
5. bloom

5.jpg

View attachment untitled.bmp

View attachment 7.bmp

CubeCap said:
Great idea! They are called CubeCaps go check them out at cubecap.ca

They will save you so many headaches!

Enjoy

Peace

What headaches???? I can guarantee algea on your rockwool is not causing your plant to die. It is another factor for sure.

I have been rollin' Rockwool for YEARS. From 1x1's into 4 x 4's into 2 gal pots of shreaded rockwool.
Yes, I get algea. No, it does not effect ANYTHING. Shoot, sometimes the whole top of the 4x4 gets black. str8 black.
No issues at all. Anytime you have moisture and sunlight, albeit natural or man made, you will get algea. It does not "attack" your plant or smother your roots. Tear apart your rockwool cube and look at how "deep" it goes into the rockwool. Exactally.

Don't buy into the hype man. Just get your plants big and the plant canopy will block the light, causing the algea to die off anyway.

um your forgetting that algae competes with the roots for not only water and oxygen but nutrients, just because YOU have no use for something does not mean that no one will. Tone it down a little norcalhal. Remember having experience does not make you the "AUTHORITY"!

NorCalHal said:
What headaches???? I can guarantee algea on your rockwool is not causing your plant to die. It is another factor for sure.

I have been rollin' Rockwool for YEARS. From 1x1's into 4 x 4's into 2 gal pots of shreaded rockwool.
Yes, I get algea. No, it does not effect ANYTHING. Shoot, sometimes the whole top of the 4x4 gets black. str8 black.
No issues at all. Anytime you have moisture and sunlight, albeit natural or man made, you will get algea. It does not "attack" your plant or smother your roots. Tear apart your rockwool cube and look at how "deep" it goes into the rockwool. Exactally.

Don't buy into the hype man. Just get your plants big and the plant canopy will block the light, causing the algea to die off anyway.

Dude, you need some Algae schooling..Things are happening in your gardens that you are seemingly not aware of....Algae competes with the plants for oxygen and nutrients, Algae is the prefered breeding ground for the Fungus gnats, you know the ones? they are the tini fruit like flies, flying around your rooms, and they love to lay their eggs in that yummy Algae so its young can hatch into larva and go around feeding on your fine root hairs and burrowing into the stems of your plants (you don't see this with the naked eye and assume everything is hunky dory) besides the facts that Algae totally inhibits the Rookwool from breathing & draining correctly. Besides the fact that the holding capabilities of the Rockwool have been radically lessend because of the Algae BLOCKING the top of the block so that the max amount of oxygen is no longer available FOR YOUR ROOTS TO BREATH!

So my friend other than what I have outline for you just now, I guess you are right, Algae does nothing bad..and it's all hype!

Happy growing

CubeCap said:
Dude, you need some Algae schooling..Things are happening in your gardens that you are seemingly not aware of....Algae competes with the plants for oxygen and nutrients, Algae is the prefered breeding ground for the Fungus gnats, you know the ones? they are the tini fruit like flies, flying around your rooms, and they love to lay their eggs in that yummy Algae so its young can hatch into larva and go around feeding on your fine root hairs and burrowing into the stems of your plants (you don't see this with the naked eye and assume everything is hunky dory) besides the facts that Algae totally inhibits the Rookwool from breathing & draining correctly. Besides the fact that the holding capabilities of the Rockwool have been radically lessend because of the Algae BLOCKING the top of the block so that the max amount of oxygen is no longer available FOR YOUR ROOTS TO BREATH!

So my friend other than what I have outline for you just now, I guess you are right, Algae does nothing bad..and it's all hype!

Happy growing

LOL oooooh slam! Right on cube caps school him some more, I love how someone has two decent harvests and call themselves "The Ultimate Guru"

Do You Know what a Hijacked Thread is? You jackasses just did it,,,,

as far as slamming Norcal. I would just say "His plants speak for themselves." He would be someone I would listen too....IMO....

Just because whatever science book you opened up said algea is bad, doesnt make it so. I have also had algae on my clones plugs,,, it is not affecting the rooting process at all. and once you drop it in the medium you kill the algae anyway (remove the Light), so it ceases to be an factor.

lots of senior people here telling you they have algae with no probs...listen to it or not.....Its your choice... but slamming people is definately not something we want here,,,,

just my .02.....

lol, we're not talking about putting rockwool into a medium first of all, we're talking about using rockwool AS the medium. Second of all we're you even in the convo? or are you just trying to put in your 2 cents

Got some clones in a 4x4 tent using a flood table setup. Right now they seem to be barely growing, leaves are turning yellow and 2 cubes look like they are getting moldy. The light is air cooled, 1000w, temps in the mid 70s or so, maybe a tad higher in the middle of the day. 18 hours of light and it was being watered twice a day for about 15 minutes. What might be wrong? Not enough nutes? not enough water? Thanks

This was the original question posted in this thread, so yes you did hijack it....Point One,

Second of all we're you even in the convo? or are you just trying to put in your 2 centsToday 08:10 PM

You arent the brightest bulb in the growroom are you? Okay well let me answer that by posting my closing in my last post.....

just my .02.....

Point 2.... Now will you be continuing to show what an *** you are or can you show some respect to the owner of this thread and STFU?

My apologies TYPE_S150

Um no, I was actually just scolding norcalhal for his attitude. Saying I thought that the cube caps were a good idea. The original poster said his cubes were getting moldy, of course that could be an issue. We were right on topic as far as im concerned. LMAO Wait you insult my intelligence and then use obscenities right after? Ever hear foul language is an ignorant mind expressing itself forcefully?

Latest posts

Back