Room within a room...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadgumit

Lab Rat
Reaction score
What's going on people?... I am beginning to prep a spare room for my grow-space and I'm building a "room within a room". I've seen a couple of threads where others have walled off a portion of a room (which is a great idea if you still need to use the room), however I would be the only person entering the room, so I want to maximize the available sq/footage while making it as inconspicuous as possible. I'm just sanitizing the space now then I'll be framing out an 8x5x6 "inner room" with 2 separate areas for veg and bloom. I'll get some pics up when the building begins. :joint:

Also, I found a site for a product called "Thermacote". It is a liquid ceramic thermal barrier that has no volatile organic compounds (VOC's), is practically flame, moisture and fungus retardant, 88% reflectvity rating and can be used indoors! It is used as a thin, protective shield on roofs and the walls of climate controlled environments :D to create a seal that prevents the destabilization of that environment through convection. The site suggests using a paint sprayer for a thin application, but I think that using a roller would make a thicker layer thus making your coated space "invisible" to thermal imaging.:hubba:

I was thinking that a product like this would be more readily available and easier to acquire than the "thermal shield" film. I plan on checking into the stuff further tomorrow, if it isn't cost effective then the point is moot, but what do you think??

This looks like it could be a really nice product to use inside rooms. I checked out their web site. Have you found out how much it costs and what the coverage is?

I called the contact number on the "Therna-Cote" website and reached the manufacturer. The web site is the manufacturer's site, and they don't do retail business, but he gave me the name/number/website for a distributor who does. Their website is an eco/green site called "eco-greenliving.com" and they have all kinds of environmentally friendly products. There are (apparently) other distributors as well, but you would have to call the contact # on the "Therma-Cote" site to ask about their info.

Okay - here's the skinny on "Therma-Cote"...

One gallon of the stuff covers 50 sq/ft and is sold in 5gal buckets min. Now the sticker shock - it costs $400 per bucket. :shocked: Even though I wasn't happy to hear that, I haven't made up my mind about it yet. The people I spoke to seemed to suggest that you have to make sure this stuff stays REALLY well stirred throughout the application process because it dries quickly... But hell - I don't need a 5gal sized bucket - and once it has been opened it has a shelf life of just a few months.

If I get it, I would be happy to donate whats left (which would probably be about half) to anyone who wanted it. Maybe I'll rethink my room dimensions :D or something...I don't know yet...but I'm gonna give this some good thought...

i just enclosed a grow room with polyshield same as thermshield. A roll 100 ft by 10 ft go's for 200 bucks. I hope it does what it says it is good heavy weight material. My grow room is in one end of a outbuilding I checked the outside walls with a laser thermometer comparing where the room was was not and only had one half of a degree difference.I hope that means it is doing it's thing.

buddog said:
i just enclosed a grow room with polyshield same as thermshield. A roll 100 ft by 10 ft go's for 200 bucks. I hope it does what it says it is good heavy weight material. My grow room is in one end of a outbuilding I checked the outside walls with a laser thermometer comparing where the room was was not and only had one half of a degree difference.I hope that means it is doing it's thing.

was this when your lights were on?

If so, what kind / how many lights did you have on for the test?

EIther way this is an awesome result assuming you had @ least 1 light on!

Awesome tips guy's keep it up this is a really cool next gen thread =)

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Half a degree from one 600w huh? Hmmm... I'll be working with either 2-1000w and 1-600w, or, 3-1000w ligjts (still mulling over whether I'll need the third 1000w or not) and I think I will need a LITTLE MORE reassurance about the read on my space!:D And two rolls of polyshield equal $400. I may just go ahead and get the "Therma-Cote" after all...

I still have a couple of weeks till I'll be ready to get things going, so I'm going to do some investigating and see if I can find a similar product for less - or even something better! I'll let you know what I find!:D

Take care everyone and be safe!

Latest posts

Back