Roots showing at the bottom of bucket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
I have notice I got root coming out of the bottom of couple of buckets and there pleaty of soil and there 5 gal buckets.

Are the root coming out going to give problems to the Plants?

I Can't pull the soil up with out braking the roots that are stuck to the sides and bottom !!!

My only other option is to Bagg it with soil with drain holes and tape it to the bucket and that where the Plant stays til done with out being rotated and taking a chance on rippping the bottom of the baggs

Isn't one thing or another while growing !!!
But Havin Funn :D

Unless you are growing a big a** plant you should be ok. 1 ft per gallon of dirt, so if your plant is 5 feet or less u will be fine. I've had roots come out the bottom of my 5 gal pails, and after harvest emptied the pail and there was lots of room yet for the roots to grow. The plants were 3.5 feet tall. CH

Crazy Horse said:
Unless you are growing a big a** plant you should be ok. 1 ft per gallon of dirt, so if your plant is 5 feet or less u will be fine. I've had roots come out the bottom of my 5 gal pails, and after harvest emptied the pail and there was lots of room yet for the roots to grow. The plants were 3.5 feet tall. CH

Thanks CH
I was kinda worried about it, but it wasn't on my list of things to do today..
Shopping for food and MUNCHIES Today.:D

they will be fine, maybe put them all in a pan and feed from the bottom? let the roots do their thing if not.

goodjob :)

Carefully cut the bottom of the bucket off leaving the roots intact.
Then stand the bucket on a larger growpot full of soil. The roots will grow down into the new pot.

My advice is do nothing. This is perfectly natural, I have seen it in every one of my grows. When I transplant from 5x5x6 pot to a 10x10x11 my roots will grow down 4.5 inches and out like 2 inches to the bottom of the pot in 3 days MAX. If this area is exposed to light the roots learn to avoid and just continue to fill the pot. Like Crazy Horse when I dump them, there is always room to go.

I see the roots come out in alot of plants i've ever grown, not just MJ. You'll be fine, theres more room in there than u think.

Dubbaman said:
What stage of growth are they in man there may be plenty of room left in there. How tall you want them and things like that are helpfull to know too.

There in 2 weeks of flowering now and 2 week for the other and the tallest is about 3 foot and the shortest is 2 foot and that With the bucket..

I would I would Like to see them get as Tall as a Red Wood Trees :D

I know there plenty of room in there from what I have seen when I had havest or when I find out there a male to Hang.

Got house plants that been around for Years in the sme pots and I have seen root come out of them before, I was always told that if a root gets hit with light or sun it could Stunt the growth alittle and That a myth I belive!!

I just had to start a thread to see what other had to say about roots Showing..

Oh i was never saying that the plants woud be harmed here guys its just if you want big huge gynormic plants you always could get it into a bigger home ;) the few root ends sticking out of the bottom are nothing to worry over heck i had them too last grow and to help contain them this time so no light could hit them i used a piece of screen in the bottom of my potters to that they dont shoot out the drainage holes.

trillions of atoms said:
^ easier said than done.... ever try cutting a 5 gal bucket?

Yea I have I had to use my jig saw to cut the bottom out and that can be real TOUGH trying to cut out the bottom with that and NOT CUT the Roots ;)

Now would Not be the time to cut the bottom out of the bucket..

Flyinghigh said:
Yea I have I had to use my jig saw to cut the bottom out and that can be real TOUGH trying to cut out the bottom with that and NOT CUT the Roots ;)

Now would Not be the time to cut the bottom out of the bucket..

ever try a roto-zip saw it does the trick well IMO.

Nico said:
Then stand the bucket on a larger growpot full of soil. The roots will grow down into the new pot.[/quot

Have u done it ??
Did u Kill ur plant??

Flyinghigh said:
Nico said:
Then stand the bucket on a larger growpot full of soil. The roots will grow down into the new pot.[/quot

Have u done it ??
Did u Kill ur plant??

I can not see you being able to remove the bottom of the bucket with out destroying the roots. As for this theory I know it works, check out Widow Makers or any other rock wool journal. They just stack the cubes and wait for the roots to move the next medium.

Latest posts

Back