Seed Life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resevil83

Reaction score
If I got seeds today, how long could I keep them without germinating them/planting them. Does a seed last forever? I know that seems like a goofy question but, I know how delicate and complicated this process is. I don't want to order seeds and wait a long while before I germinate them. (I only want to grow one at a time)

a seed has a shelf life of a bout 1-3 yrs at room temp, i hear they can last longer if you refrigerate them .. this might be a question for an expert like hick though.

I've had seeds for a couple years that grew...and then again I ordered some seeds that would almost REFUSE to grow and they were only 3 months old. So, one factor is the quality or type of seed.

I asked this question a while back ..and Hick was the one that helped..He said " put seeds in like a 35mm camera film container..add some rice..and put in the crisper in the fridge." he said he had some over 5 years old he was germinating at the time..and Thats how I do it....i have beans I dont plan to grow for a few years..Good luck and KEEP M GREEN

resevil83 said:
... (I only want to grow one at a time)

You may want to rethink this. It takes weeks before you can tell the sex of a plant. If you have a single male, you have to start all over. I would never start less than 3 seeds if hoping to end up with 1 female.

4u2sm0ke said:
I asked this question a while back ..and Hick was the one that helped..He said " put seeds in like a 35mm camera film container..add some rice..and put in the crisper in the fridge." he said he had some over 5 years old he was germinating at the time..and Thats how I do it....i have beans I dont plan to grow for a few years..Good luck and KEEP M GREEN

cooked or uncooked rice??? just a question... and i again agree with hemp godess.. you should always start a couple. and then "Weed" them out... lol/.

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
lol,dry rice.and yes,definitly start 3-5 seeds.it would suck to put all your time on one plant..just to find out its male or hermie.

can dirt cause it to hermie, cause i used some store bought dirt i think it mg i know its pre nutted .... but i also used some yard dirt.. not the clay kind.. its nice and airy?? it doesnt kling to itself and is soft not clay like..

id suggest fox farm ocean forest soil.although i have grown in miracle grow potting mix in the past.the reason i dont like taking dirt from out of my lawn,is this increases the chances tremendously of getting bugs.i highly recommend coco to be honest.if you can offord to buy some coco..do it.you'll be happy you did..trust me

if you take soil from your yard, just nuke it in the microwave for a good 2-5 minutes on high, that should eradicate any pests/bugs :)

ive got seeds germing....some are 8 yrs old+ old genetics and still germing STRONG! no worries brother!

Latest posts

Back