Seran Wrap?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
once seeds have germinated and have been placed into soil, does anyone place seran wrap over the container and keep it sealed to keep humidity up within the container?

- does this improve the rate of sprouts popping up through the surface of the soil or is this completely unnecessary?

- also, is light on the soil necessary if the seedling has not sprouted yet?

Yes, saran wrap works wonders. Humidity is your friend. Keep it under lights. Warmth is also your friend.

:yeahthat: yup, yup & yup! :p it keeps a humid environment that the seeds germinate and get started in very nicely... As soon as they break the surface try to get the seran wrap off as it can get hot under the lights but it's great for germination and sprouting...

Peace!:cool:

redeye88 said:
once seeds have germinated and have been placed into soil, does anyone place seran wrap over the container and keep it sealed to keep humidity up within the container?

- does this improve the rate of sprouts popping up through the surface of the soil or is this completely unnecessary?

- also, is light on the soil necessary if the seedling has not sprouted yet?

Hey Redeye,
The light on the soil warms it up, so yes, it is a good thing.
You can cover them if you wish. I never do. Even with a fan blowing in the grow cab. Your choice bro.
Just keep the soil damp and warm, they will sprout if they are viable.

if u do use seran wrap, should a few holes be poked in it so theres some air inside?

They need fresh air so a couple holes would probably be a good idea. I dont turn my lights on till the little babies break through the soil.

Just a thought : Mother nature did'nt do this ! I see no "real" benefits from doing this for 5-7 days ! I would have thought that the serain wrap would reflect the light as well and lumens and / or spectrum will not be at its maximum potential ! Just a thought ! Peace and take care ! = Completely unnecessary ! JMO !

Listen, just do it. I do it all the time and it has drastically increased the survival rates of my germs.
Do not just remove the saran wrap after it breaks soil. Let it grow under the saran wrap and place it as close to a flouro as you can so it doesn't stretch like crazy because it will! I never poked in any holes and nothing ever happened to the plants. If anything I would just remove the saran wrap briefly to get rid of the condensation drops of water and that would be enough circulation for them.

The one mistake I did make was removing the saran wrap and having a fan continuously blow on it still. It dried out and died in one day.

Remember, the warmth and moistness is your friend up until you see those first set of fully developed leaves pretty much.

For any UK'rs.

seran wrap is clingfilm ;)

hXXp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saran_(plastic)

:peace:

Latest posts

Back