Sexin before Flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hooker

Reaction score
I have a friend that tells me he can sex a plant before it reaches the flower stage . He has grown for 20 years and his advice so far hasn't lead me wrong he says his call on sex is 100% {could this be true}. This really would not bother me but my grow now is mainly for cloning and would not want to end up with a bunch of males thinking they were females .

he's probably judging by pre-flowers.. it can be done, but it requires an 'experienced' eye, and patience

He tells me he uses a magnifying glass now his eyes are not what they used to be . If I follow his advice I will be numbering the plants and the cuts . I would sex them but I think I am running out of time for the next grow . I just want to be sure I am not wasting my time .

even judging based on preflowers would require the plant to be sexually mature.

If you want to find out sex early, take a clone put it on 12/12 while vegging the donor. If it comes out female, take more cuttings, if it is male get rid of the donor.

Get a jewelers' loupe, 10x is nice. Here's boyz and girlz. Boy at top; girl at bottom. Pray for pipe cleaners.

MoBoyz 001.JPG

P1010007.JPG

lordhighlama said:
even judging based on preflowers would require the plant to be sexually mature.

If you want to find out sex early, take a clone put it on 12/12 while vegging the donor. If it comes out female, take more cuttings, if it is male get rid of the donor.

So take a clone from each plant and put the clone into flower and wait to be able to sex them . How long do I have to wait before I can sex this clone how much growth should they have This is all new to me so be patient i usually just buy my clones but have reached the point I would like to be self sufficient .

I will admit I have witnessed him burn a good many plants in his fire place claiming them to be males

Yes exactly, take a cutting from each donor. Mark which donor they came from, then once the clones have rooted you can stick them strait into flower. You don't have to veg them at all, just put them on 12/12 and within a week you should see what sex you have.

Hick said:
he's probably judging by pre-flowers.. it can be done, but it requires an 'experienced' eye, and patience

That's right Hick as I have sexed most Dutch type hybrids by day 35.Females are the first to be spotted with the tiniest wisp of pistil poking out of a young calyx.:)

your friend is right. I determine sex before i flower, that way i avoid transplanting males just to kill them off in flower.

using preflowers to determine sex is also cool in that once you do flower, the plant will be ahead of the curve by about a week.

preflowers are the way to go, i would never flower without knowing sex, waste of time, soil and room for the females. GL

also, the average indica dominant plants i grow show sex in about 4-5 weeks, havent grown any sativa doms, but i would imagine they take longer to presex

JBonez said:
your friend is right. I determine sex before i flower, that way i avoid transplanting males just to kill them off in flower.

using preflowers to determine sex is also cool in that once you do flower, the plant will be ahead of the curve by about a week.

preflowers are the way to go, i would never flower without knowing sex, waste of time, soil and room for the females. GL

I can tell sex before flower also, usually right around 6 weeks and the 2nd or 3rd node from the top it will sprout white hairs if its female or little balls if its a male.

10th week with some sativas and about 40% have readable preflowers, the rest have ones too small. there are a couple plants with 1 or none.

Latest posts

Back