sexing from seed??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo77

Are you lost
Reaction score
I just found this and wanted to see what the pros think about it. Im not convinced it really works but its interesting.

seed%2520sex%2520id.jpg

Yeah, seems like nonsense..... I am good. Iv had 1 male in my life of growing... I use feminised seeds other than that one that was male and never had a Hermie or male come from them...

i got that to i don't know if it is right but i have used it . i germed 7 seeds that looked like they had a volcaino on them out of that four sprouted and they are all females. but like i said this was the first time that i used this method. so there is nothing to say that it works or not. i think that if you combine all your knowldge of seeds growing condition,lights and all the other stuff, that you can increase chances of females. just my0.02

I would never use this. I just thought it was interesting. I've read so many different things about how to produce female seeds. I've read that when they are seeds they can go either way. It would make sense, if you can make one go hermie then it must have the male gene in it right? So if it has the male gene in it couldn't it come out male or female from seed? If so then how could you ever tell by looking at the seed? If anyone knows the answers let me know. Thanks

slowmo77 said:
It would make sense, if you can make one go hermie then it must have the male gene in it right? Thanks

Not necessarily imo....I would think that one could make even the most robust plant grown from feminized seeds produce male pollen sacs if stressed enough or let go too long...so then it wouldnt be a genetics issue as much as it is a growing conditions or time issue. just a thought.

What im saying is if we can't change the genetics of a plant then in order for it to hermie wouldn't it already have to have the male gene in it? how can conditions like soil, light, ph, etc.. change its genetics?

Im not sure if im asking it the right way. If you can change what the plant produces by changing those conditions the why can't you add things to soil to make them do what ever?

littlenode said:
Not necessarily imo....I would think that one could make even the most robust plant grown from feminized seeds produce male pollen sacs if stressed enough or let go too long...so then it wouldnt be a genetics issue as much as it is a growing conditions or time issue. just a thought.

I think that it still has to be a genetics thing--it is just recessive. Either the gene is there that will produce pollen or it is not there. I don't think that a female plant can somehow create genes that will produce pollen because it is stessed. I think it is the other way around--that stressing females can bring out the recessive genes and make them hermie. Feminized seeds occasionally produce a male and/or hermies without being stressed. Just the process of producing feminized seeds stresses the girl they came from.

geez...you guys making me think today...ouch :hitchair:

Im not a geneticist by any means...maybe i shouldnt have opened my yapper. was just thinking that one of the reasons a female MJ plants goes hermie is because conditions cause it to sense that it may die..so she figures there isnt a male around (where are we when you need us) and she'll just do it herself. A genetic mechanism to insure proliferation. Whether some female MJ plants are genetically pre-determined not to have this ability, or gene. I dont know. What I do know, is that someone will let us know. ;)

ya see thats what i think also.. They have to have the gene to begin with. just because it doesn't show doesn't mean its not there, but does it mean that seeds are either male, female or hermie? If any plant can hermie than every plant has both genes right?? if they don't then sex should be able to be detemined by seed. But i don't think thats how it work.. someone please explain this to me. thanks

well...been reading through 'Marijuana Botany, An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis' by Robert Connell Clarke.
dunno if i'll find and answer to our question specifically, but there is a lot of info...and its never bad to learn about our beloved plant. :aok:

Well, found this in "Marijuana Chemistry, Genetics, Processing & Potency" by Michael Starks. chapter 2 page 22:

' It is possible, by selective pollenation, to obtain seeds which yield all (or nearly all) males or females. This can be done by crossing with certain monoecious strains, or by a simpler methods available to almost anyone. If the male flowers that arise on a female plant are used as the pollen source, the resulting seeds will all be females. If the plant does not do this naturally, there are various techniques for inducing the monoecious conditions, such as low light, low night temperatures, stress....'

...this doesnt particularly address our genetics question, I guess, but it does say 'certain monoecious strains' (hermaphrodite) then it goes on to say specifically, 'If the male flowers that arise on a female plant.....resulting in female seeds. But it doesnt say whether or not those seeds are genetically pre-determined to have hermie tendencies.....

I will now, go smoke a big ol' bowl :bong2:

pretty good reading though

Smoke on...

Latest posts

Back