Smart Meter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sour Deez

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to finally start growing and watched this video . Now Im paranoid because I have a smart meter installed at my home and I live in Texas where they moniter these devices. I wanted to hear your thoughts on this issue. hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNFr_j6kdI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have had a smart meter for 3 yrs, i have 1200 watts coming on and off at exactly the same time every day, never an issue, but i dont live in Texas.

Um, I to run around 800-1k watt. Never had an issue yet

Kinda nervous cause the guy said police are raiding peoples homes in Texas Ohio British Columbia annd who knows where else. But at the end he said you can demand your power company take the smart meters off so I might have to look into that.

I'd look at that more as a red flag lol. I have a couple friends in Ohio that run 2-4k watts in veg and flower.. Never n e problems.
Do research in your area.

Sour Deez said:
Kinda nervous cause the guy said police are raiding peoples homes in Texas Ohio British Columbia annd who knows where else. But at the end he said you can demand your power company take the smart meters off so I might have to look into that.

but how many watts are the people getting caught running, I dont think anyone will be knocking on your door for 2-3000 watts even, people own hot tubs, fishtanks, saunas, if i had 7-1000 watters running on a smart meter maybe i would worry.

also if your bill is paid on time you are a good customer and the power companies like money.

JMO

From what I've read, the reasons for concern have to do with the fact that your pattern of electricity usage is collected by the SM and transmitted to (and stored by) the utility. They can analyze that pattern and/or sell that data to just about anyone. Among other things, analyzing electricity usage data for, say, 12/12 and 18/6 spikes will be simple. I understand the eventual plan is for every single device with an electrical plug to identify itself to the smart meter and be able to be controlled by the utility. Here's my view of smart meter risk:

"Hi, I use 1000 watts and I turn on at 9PM and off at 9AM every day for 10 weeks"!

In any event, all of this is keeping me from complaining about my SM and/or demanding it be removed :cool: .

As long as you bill is paid every month on time the Electric Co don't care what you us it for.

I read an article that said you know pretty much its people talkin to the cops if you will that will get them checkin your meter you know standard stuff

No worries....unless you don't pay your bill.

I know many folks, including myself, that run huge wattage (over 10,000) and spin that smart meter silly style, and as long as the bill is paid, all is well.

You are a valued customer.

Latest posts

Back