Someone please explain PH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottaloveplasma

Reaction score
So I do not fully understand PH. If my target PH is 6.2 to 6.4 and my medium is reading 6.5 6.7 6.7 and 6.5 in one bucket what should I PH my nutrient solution to. If my medium is reading 5.9 6.0 5.8 and 5.8 (again from different sides in container) what should I PH my solution to?

How many points do you want to raise and lower ph at a time?

If your ph is dropping rapidly in soil perhaps from biological processes should you PH higher to try and keep it in the zone more.

If my nutrient line and soil are to be around certain PH's will some strains want certain PH's more do you go out of suggested ranges or does it not work this way?

In organic soil we don't care about ph. just thought i would mention it. Carry on.

What exactly are you measuring? Soil? Nutrient solution? Water? And how?

Your nutrient line should not matter. Soil grows and hydro grows need to be within certain pH parameters for the nutrients to be available to the plants--the nutrient line should not matter. I doubt that they have changed the plant's physiology. This is a chart that shows at what pH different nutrients are available to the plant. With soil you should be running about 6.3 to 6.8. IMO, a range of 6.2 to 6.4 is too narrow a range to insure uptake of all nutrients. You can see that P, Ca, and Mg are out of range unless your pH is 6.5 or over.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1908

This Nutrient line is different than any other line. I am going to ph soil periodically and test for ppm. I am phing nutrient solution every time.

Perhaps someone using synthetics can answer this then.

If you are growing in soil, you are going about it all wrong. Soil isn't like hydro, whether you are using synthetic nutes or not. It doesn't want a ph range that narrow. Try bringing the nute ph up to 6.4 to 6.8. It is the upper limit that will make sure that all the nutes can be available to the plant in soil.

I have been growing in Soil for years now and I always PH Everything that goes into my soil to 6.5. Everything. I don't worry about the PH of my run off or soil. Been doing it this way since almost the beginning. Between that and using some Sweet Lime in my soil I don't have PH problems. jmo

Measuring the Hydrogen in soil...is a fools errand, as the soil itself acts as a buffer between the rootzone and the nutrient, for this reason you will always get erroneous readings ...far better to toss the meter or go DWC

If you are growing in soil, you are going about it all wrong. Soil isn't like hydro, whether you are using synthetic nutes or not. It doesn't want a ph range that narrow. Try bringing the nute ph up to 6.4 to 6.8. It is the upper limit that will make sure that all the nutes can be available to the plant in soil.

:yeahthat:

There's got to be reason they say ph to 5.8 - 6.2 for veg. I will ask him and post here.

This Nutrient line is different than any other line. I am going to ph soil periodically and test for ppm. I am phing nutrient solution every time.

Perhaps someone using synthetics can answer this then.

I do use synthetic nutes. The fact that "this nutrient line is different", it cannot change the physiology of the plant so that it uptakes nutrients at different pH levels than other nutrients.

Since all the literature for the products you are using say that it is for hydro and soilless, I am guessing that the 5.8 to 6.2 is what the pH needs to be for hydro. You are using the nutes in a way that is not indicated on any of the literature--everything I have read online says it is just for hydro and soilless, it changes up everything. If the person who is selling you this does not know the proper pH for soil, I would be concerned. We are talking basic plant biology here--nutrient uptake at different pH levels does not change with different nutrients.

Found out why it needs lower ph I guess its for calcium because that is what the plant is eating for its nutrition ph higher for phosphorous. So there is a reason ph is different. Cool.

Calcium and phosphorus becomes available to the plant at around the same pH. So if that is what they told you, they are wrong. You need to check out the pH charts to see when and at what pH they become available.

It is what it is. 6.1 in veg. So if I am wrong and the schedule is wrong what do you expect to see?

Latest posts

Back