Something just isn't right...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't have a lot of choices on soil where I live and really cannot afford to have soil shipped in. I get a soil from Home Depot that I use as the base for my supersoil and have had no problems germinating in it. It is 100% organic and is called Kellogg's Patio Plus.

don't you all get a bit of a chuckle when you are in line at that super store chatting to people in line with some grandiose story of what you are gonna do with all that soil---:D

I found a hydroponics store nearby with fox farms... Is that the best alternative to super soil???

Slowlyburn said:
I found a hydroponics store nearby with fox farms... Is that the best alternative to super soil???

probably so---
although there is a bagged soil called "super soil"---THG and many others amend some kind of store bought bagged soil---essentially making their own concoction and calling it super soil

orangesunshine said:
although there is a bagged soil called "super soil"---THG and many others amend some kind of store bought bagged soil---essentially making their own concoction and calling it super soil

Ya I know... I read how to make it but I just don't know where to get most of the materials and I am just looking for something simple for right now... I have always had great results with MG from lowes except this time... Maybe I just need to try germinating in the MG seedling starter...

i have heard of much success in peeps using the MG starter---i have never tried it---lots of peeps also use the MG bagged soil with some success---never tried that either---but if you do that---BEWARE that the fertilizer in MG is time released

Slowly, you can talk to your hydro store guy and see if they will order the stuff to make the SS or you can find online each ingredient and order it. It's what I'm doing; and if you go with any other prebagged soil ,like Fox Farms, you'll have to get nutes to feed your soil as well.

With some super soil mixes listed on here, if you mix the right amount of SS with your base then you wont have to worry about feeding anything to your soil except an unsulphured molasses tea every now and then if you chose.

I just don't know where to get most of the materials

e-bay is your friend:)

local nurseries may also have some of the harder to find amendments.

Slowlyburn said:

Yes, go with fox farm ocean forest and get some mycorrhizae and you'll be fine for nutes for 4-5 weeks. Then you will have to start feeding.

I hve used nothing but MG seed starter mix for a cpl years now....I buy it at Home Depot. As for getting the items needed for a super soil, I found everything that was needed on Amazon and eBay. Jmo

I sometimes long for the days when I had access to things like Amazon and Ebay! When you live in the super boonies some things are just hard to come by. The trade off continues to be worth it and now that I've found a hydro store I can shop at in person for cash I'm much happier.

Right now there is no perlite within a 2 hour drive! My local store ordered some but the courier lost the package. 10 days from ordering- still nothing. LOL.
And distilled water- well you can make a 6 hour trip if you would like some of that. Tee Hee. Hubby showed me how to make my own (water that is - not perlite) last night. Then I also noticed I have a whole garbage bucket full of fresh rain water. Does anyone every use this on their indoor plants? Or could it contain ickies?
The first dirt I purchased here was terrible- luckily I was using it to grow kale in my kitchen. Seemed to be full of lots of winged beasties.
This newer soil is quite nice- I've added perlite and worm castings and some coco. The plants seem to love it so far.

I know this is off topic to this thread; but, how many CF are in a lb of rice hulls... I've heard rain water is some of the cleanest water and has some beneficial stuff in it... if you dont have an RO machine or a copper still to distill water.

Slowlyburn said:
Ya I know... I read how to make it but I just don't know where to get most of the materials and I am just looking for something simple for right now... I have always had great results with MG from lowes except this time... Maybe I just need to try germinating in the MG seedling starter...

I got everything I needed to make ss from Home Depot, Amazon, and E-Bay.

If you have had great luck with the soil you are using except for this time, I would suspect something bad with that particular bag, like a fungus or some other pathogen.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
I know this is off topic to this thread; but, how many CF are in a lb of rice hulls... I've heard rain water is some of the cleanest water and has some beneficial stuff in it... if you dont have an RO machine or a copper still to distill water.

Rain water may or may not be clean--it depends entirely on what it passes through in the atmosphere before it gets to earth. In industrialized areas or areas with pollution, you can get acid rain or other contaminants in the rain water. I live in fairly pristine place in the mountains with clean air and water. My ex used to always collect rain water and water with that when available.

The question on the rice hulls is answered in the NV super soil thread--driftn said that 4 lbs of rice hulls equal 1 cu ft. (or 7.5 gallons). http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58960&page=13

Ok thanks THG guess I missed it reading through the thread and haven't really had much time to read through much getting things ready for the closet. I didnt think about the environment for the rain water.

OK so I started over today... My seeds I germed a few days ago were ready to plant today... I got the seed starter mix and have them in new dixie cups with 5 holes in the bottom of each... This mix was extremely tough to get saturated with water... I ended up having to soak it a few times and poke holes and mix all through it to get it wet enough... I let it sit for about an hour before I dropped the seeds in. Hopefully this time I have no problems.

I carefully pulled the dirt from the 6 cups that didnt sprout and found skinny rotted roots. The 4 that did sprout had about 6 inches of nice roots under them but I tossed them anyhow to be safe...

Sending green mojo your way. Fingers crossed. I'm new, so no comments on technique. I can share what happened to me.

It took me two false starts before I got this bunch going. First batch 2 out of 8, died after 2 weeks. Second batch 3 out of 8. Third batch (third times a charm) - 11 out of 16. I used soak in water- paper towel method for the last method and then right into a seedling mix with extra perlite. Next time will use fl & cfl for this stage. I think that will improve my results. Cold temps were an issue as well.

Latest posts

Back