sphagnum moss for substrate???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mngrower

Reaction score
I was wondering if I would be able to use sphagnum moss as a substrate for my plants, I have read some places saying it is a good growing medium because it wicks up water but has excellent aeration properties. anyone here ever use it in hydro?

I would think it would stay too wet and iinm it's very acidic.

I'm not a big hydro guy but I'd lean towards no. Maybe someone a lil more experienced will chime in.

I would think it would be ok for DWC as you are continuously splashing water up onto the pots/medium. The sphagnum will not hold nutrients well I think, but for DWC that doesn't really matter as the roots will quickly grow down to the water.

Not sure how(or if) the pH of the sphagnum would affect the plants or solution.

well I guess Ill find out myself since it seems no one has used it as a medium, just have to wait for my seeds to get here now. I got some coco and the moss to try

If you grow in coco coir you will need to add some magnesium to it. It depends on the brand/type of nutrients that you plant to use. I use coco coir exclusively in my hydro setup and I have found that using about 4ml of calmag additive per gallon of water through the veg, and about 3/4 of way through flower works well to keep the girls happy.

I'm planning on using the flora micro and flora bloom thanks for the tips on the mg. gonna start with some autos in totes

is that all you used? I would never have thought of that, as of right now though Ill try the moss in a dwc bucket and have a few plants in coco in a tub

Latest posts

Back