Advertise On Marijuana Passion

spring water????? any ideas

fathead

Active Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
my house only has water from a natural above water spring. good to use or not? it taste and smells clean no egg or sulfur smell to it.
 

SensiStarFan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
946
Reaction score
61
It depends on what is in it. I would check the ph and TDS. I use a Hanna checker to check my water. Knowing the ph and total dissolved solids will tell you if you can use it, and what you need to do to it to make it better for your plants.

-SSF
 

fathead

Active Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
thats what i was thinking did know if anyone else had used it thank starfan
 

4u2sm0ke

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
17,336
Reaction score
13,503
yeah..check the PH and IM sure you will be fine


take care and be safe
 

BackWoodsDrifter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
104
Check it but I figure it be spot on ifin its commin outa mother earth and it be natural thinking yur going to like usin it. Check it though but I bet it be spot on pilgrem just what the mother plant ordered! I use nothin but rain water always have always will be makin me happy fur years as well as me plants.

BWD
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
Some spring water will be okay, some will not. Unfortunately, just because it bubbles out of mother earth, does not make it good water. We have an incredible amount of geothermal water where I live. I has huge amounts of sulfur and other minerals in it--not at all suitable for growing. I don't know that there is any way to know without testing it.
 

BackWoodsDrifter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
104
The Hemp Goddess said:
Some spring water will be okay, some will not. Unfortunately, just because it bubbles out of mother earth, does not make it good water. We have an incredible amount of geothermal water where I live. I has huge amounts of sulfur and other minerals in it--not at all suitable for growing. I don't know that there is any way to know without testing it.
Ya yur right I dont touch the **** that glows! ;) forgot bout that stuff sorry folk THG be right smell and taste test first I reckon.

BWD
 

PartyBro420

Canucks Fan
Joined
Sep 22, 2011
Messages
459
Reaction score
24
Water with high amounts of sulphur you'll be able to actually smell if the levels are high enough. But THG is correct, not all water that comes from mother earth is suitable for consumption or growth.

There are certain places on earth where water is almost like sulphuric acid. Straight from mother nature. A good rule of thumb to follow if you're looking for good water to use from a natural source.

A. Make sure the source is shallow, rocky, and constantly in motion (river, mountain stream, even a rocky gully not near an inhabited area)

B. Make sure there is ample wild plantlife growing in the area, the ground around these areas use the water from sources like this to drive a lot of growth along with the rain. Dead plant life near a large water source is a big red flag.

C. Look for animals drinking the water. If it's safe for them to drink, it should be ok for you to use, so long as you're not scooping from where the bears are pooping. Also keep in mind that an animals digestive abilities are a lot better than most humans this water may still contain higher than required levels of minerals for MJ but if you find all 3 criteria so far you'll be fine.

D. Look for areas with algae and lots of it on the rocks, the rocks and algae scrub the water, and feed off everything in it, these are the best places to take fresh water from.
 

fathead

Active Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
thanks yall ill check the ph and everything but like i said its the water we use to drink and cook with everyday for the last 20yrs on my part and 50yrs on my landlords part and its very clean with always moving water.
 

CasualGrower

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,107
Reaction score
912
Here is an idea for ya Fathead.... Find a local retailer of water filtering/osmosis/softening equipment..... Most will offer as a free service complete water testing. You might have to put up with a sales call for a system or 2.... but at least you will know exactly what is bubbling up from the ground there.

Just an idea.

Good luck
 

BackWoodsDrifter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
104
Scares me to think yual worry so much bout yur water now I thinks of this here thread. Aint a stream or river lake or pond round me I wouldnt stick me head into and gulp away ifin I needed to. Well guess the world needs healin in ways needed in time reckon. Didnt mean to mislead just dont seam to need worry bout it were I am. Be safe fur sure friends.

BWD
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
PartyBro420 said:
Water with high amounts of sulphur you'll be able to actually smell if the levels are high enough. But THG is correct, not all water that comes from mother earth is suitable for consumption or growth.

There are certain places on earth where water is almost like sulphuric acid. Straight from mother nature. A good rule of thumb to follow if you're looking for good water to use from a natural source.

A. Make sure the source is shallow, rocky, and constantly in motion (river, mountain stream, even a rocky gully not near an inhabited area)

B. Make sure there is ample wild plantlife growing in the area, the ground around these areas use the water from sources like this to drive a lot of growth along with the rain. Dead plant life near a large water source is a big red flag.

C. Look for animals drinking the water. If it's safe for them to drink, it should be ok for you to use, so long as you're not scooping from where the bears are pooping. Also keep in mind that an animals digestive abilities are a lot better than most humans this water may still contain higher than required levels of minerals for MJ but if you find all 3 criteria so far you'll be fine.

D. Look for areas with algae and lots of it on the rocks, the rocks and algae scrub the water, and feed off everything in it, these are the best places to take fresh water from.
PartyBro, thanks for the suggestions, however your point C is not correct. In fact, water that animals drink from is most likely contaminated with the giardia (sp) parasite. I river rafted for many many years in primitive/wilderness areas. We never drank the water. Unfortunately, even pristine areas can have contaminated water. Never take your water for granted--it can contain bacteria, parasites, heavy metals, etc, etc. I would never use water from an unknown or questionable source.
 

Growdude

I am the Smo King
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
4,567
Reaction score
3,219
BackWoodsDrifter said:
Scares me to think yual worry so much bout yur water now I thinks of this here thread. Aint a stream or river lake or pond round me I wouldnt stick me head into and gulp away ifin I needed to. Well guess the world needs healin in ways needed in time reckon. Didnt mean to mislead just dont seam to need worry bout it were I am. Be safe fur sure friends.

BWD
Your very lucky BWD, where I live, and its "in the country" drinking from some lake or stream can make you very sick.
Ive never done it and was always told not to.
 

BackWoodsDrifter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
104
Growdude said:
Your very lucky BWD, where I live, and its "in the country" drinking from some lake or stream can make you very sick.
Ive never done it and was always told not to.
I dont go out my way to drink it directly but have in the past on hot summer days while in canoe or trackin trap lines never make me sick but i can understand with certain pathogens in the water ways special around built up concrete jungles be mighty scary to drink water in the north worst thing in the water be fish pee and beaver scat we just dont drink the yellow water ;)

BWD
 

Hick

Git "R" lit
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
12,836
Reaction score
12,667
I've had "Beaver fever" from those..."pristine" streams.. makes a tequilla hangover look like a walk in the park.:eek:
 

PartyBro420

Canucks Fan
Joined
Sep 22, 2011
Messages
459
Reaction score
24
The Hemp Goddess said:
PartyBro, thanks for the suggestions, however your point C is not correct. In fact, water that animals drink from is most likely contaminated with the giardia (sp) parasite. I river rafted for many many years in primitive/wilderness areas. We never drank the water. Unfortunately, even pristine areas can have contaminated water. Never take your water for granted--it can contain bacteria, parasites, heavy metals, etc, etc. I would never use water from an unknown or questionable source.

Right, but that's why I pointed out the latter part of that sentence. If you meet only that criteria you're more than likely not going to want to use the water.

Water animals drink from is not the problem, it's water where animals live or spend time in that is most likely contaminated with the giardia protozoa. From fecal matter deposited up-current or in calmer waters. Places where you'll find beavers, muskrat, and heavy concentrations of fish are another red flag, because you are guaranteed to have bears feeding on the fish and defecating in the water.

There are so many things to look for when choosing a wild water source that can lead you in the right direction. Most animals leave tracks, and if you're the type to be spending ample time in the wilderness you're most likely going to pick up on them and be able to figure out if there have been animals frolicking about in a water source.

everyone in any case should boil all your drinking water anyway if you're going to use it for that or growing if you're getting it from an unknown untested source.

The point of our grows anyway is control is it not? So unless you're wholly unable to check your source out at all, you should probably get at the very least a fish tank filter or something.
 
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
19,438
Reaction score
8,293
Actually, my point was that even if the other conditions are met, the water can still be contaminated. I spend a lot of time in the wilderness and we simply do not drink the water. We bring purification tablets, a hand purification pump, or bring water with us.
 

BackWoodsDrifter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
104
I will put it all to rest and says YES please boils yur water befur drinking it and dont nessessarily listen and do the things I tend to do. Hick THG and partBro be absolutly correct in there infos they be sayin to ya. I have most me cabins drawing water to them right from the lakes they sits on. As rule of thumb and in most always the case we do (Me and wife) boils all the water we consume BUT! BUT I am the stuborn pig headed bushman that be sayin some times heck with it and drinks right from the tap when I have been nown thirsty done it more time then I can count and have hads the shitts so bad at times I couldnt leave the outhouse fur bit but always came round good gain. No different then swimmin in lakes as a kid we always seem to swallow our fair share without issue and to date i have been playin bit roulette I guess. I aim not to lead any folk to do as I do nor would I say its safe to do the things i do cause most things i do aint safe for regular man then gain I never have claimed to be regular in anyway and most folk who knows me in the real life would say the same some folk even runs way when they see the crazy bushguy comin the way. Please pilgrems be safe in alls yu do and ifin yual going to drink from yur lakes and streams please boils it first. Sorry ifin I ruffled folks feathers or started any arguments that was not me intentions. Be safe and stay warm yur fires.

BWD
 

Hick

Git "R" lit
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
12,836
Reaction score
12,667
BackWoodsDrifter said:
I will put it all to rest and says YES please boils yur water befur drinking it and dont nessessarily listen and do the things I tend to do. Hick THG and partBro be absolutly correct in there infos they be sayin to ya. I have most me cabins drawing water to them right from the lakes they sits on. As rule of thumb and in most always the case we do (Me and wife) boils all the water we consume BUT! BUT I am the stuborn pig headed bushman that be sayin some times heck with it and drinks right from the tap when I have been nown thirsty done it more time then I can count and have hads the shitts so bad at times I couldnt leave the outhouse fur bit but always came round good gain. No different then swimmin in lakes as a kid we always seem to swallow our fair share without issue and to date i have been playin bit roulette I guess. I aim not to lead any folk to do as I do nor would I say its safe to do the things i do cause most things i do aint safe for regular man then gain I never have claimed to be regular in anyway and most folk who knows me in the real life would say the same some folk even runs way when they see the crazy bushguy comin the way. Please pilgrems be safe in alls yu do and ifin yual going to drink from yur lakes and streams please boils it first. Sorry ifin I ruffled folks feathers or started any arguments that was not me intentions. Be safe and stay warm yur fires.

BWD
bwd... I certainly meant nor took any offense. I've drank from my fair share of 'wild' water sources. Most without issues, but one "good" case of giardia from a snowfed li'l creek, almost killed me.. or so I felt. :eek:
I don't think there's any 'argument'. ;)
 

BackWoodsDrifter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2,707
Reaction score
104
Hick said:
bwd... I certainly meant nor took any offense. I've drank from my fair share of 'wild' water sources. Most without issues, but one "good" case of giardia from a snowfed li'l creek, almost killed me.. or so I felt. :eek:
I don't think there's any 'argument'. ;)
Thankin saw folk showin signs on both sides didnt want to cause issue as for yur bout crazy shits wasent it man I though I was goin to empty every drop liquid when I went through som squirts be lastin days. Respect to all.

BWD
 

Latest posts

Top