Starting new seeds in Hydro system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieG

Reaction score
I have been growing bag seed using an ebb and flow system. I started with 10 plants, added an extra once i started flowering but it is still very small.
After I sorted out all the males, I am left with 5 plants. I have the space to add another 3 plants and was wondering if people had any experience doing this in a hydro set up? I know this is done with soil, but I was wondering if you guys had ever introduced from seedling right into flowering nutrients? I am currently doing it and it is obvious that the plant is stretching and is very small. This doesn't really bother me because all I'm after is seeds of some premium seeds I've bought. I wanted to introduce 3 purple power seeds but am wondering if this will actually work or will I just end up with 3 guys?
Any experienced parties having done this would be appreciated it. Thanks and please post as soon as you can! I want to get this started ASAP if its possible :)

Thanks and Happy Growing-

This is a horrible idea. If you want to do this you should start the plants somewhere else and let them get established otherwise the bigger plants are just going to choke them out, if the nutrients don't fry them first.

Tater said:
This is a horrible idea. If you want to do this you should start the plants somewhere else and let them get established otherwise the bigger plants are just going to choke them out, if the nutrients don't fry them first.

I would agree with you, except that I have two lights in the same room, so I actually have two levels of light going at the same time. I currently have a baby that i started late that adapted fine to the nutrients as i adapted it over two days and its getting plenty of light now that all the boys are gone. Thats really the only reason I even thought of doing this was because I now have so much space. Out of 10 I lost 5... That's by far the worst I've done and I blame it to my absence the first two weeks, as well as the stressing of being FIM'ed.

I've heard of soil growers starting in 12/12. Is it really so different to do it in hydro? Besides the fact that individual nutrients can't be controlled, it really seems that I have the same problems as the soil growers? Maybe plus the fact that I can't move smaller plants closer to the light since they are all in the flood tray...

Why not veg an extra 2 weeks and use lst to fill the tray rather than trying to force young plants to play catch up? Try it if you like but I can't see the results being stellar, then again I don't know everything in fact the more I learn the less I realize I know so please do try to prove me wrong. I'll be watching along with the rest. Best of luck my friend.

Tater said:
Why not veg an extra 2 weeks and use lst to fill the tray rather than trying to force young plants to play catch up? Try it if you like but I can't see the results being stellar, then again I don't know everything in fact the more I learn the less I realize I know so please do try to prove me wrong. I'll be watching along with the rest. Best of luck my friend.

Today is week three of flower and I would have ran out of room if I had done so. I'm already running out of space as it is having topped the girls. If I had the space I would love to do JUST that. If I had the space I'd have Purple Power, Super Silver Haze and Thai Skunk Haze going into veg while these flowered. In all honesty because these first girls are bag seed I thought it be ok to try to go for seeds with the new babies. Thanks for the info and luck, I can't say that I expect stellar or even ok results. A gram or two and a few seeds and I'll be happy.

I'll post up pics of my project shortly DankCloset. I haven't even moved the beans yet as I'm still on the fence with what to do with them. The rest are doing well. Thanks for the interest. I got work all day today, but tomorrow or later tonight I'll post up. Thanks for the help again guys.

Latest posts

Back