Sum1 wit a little time to help a guy with trainwreck seeds??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Want Buds

Reaction score
:watchplant: I'm about to grow indoors for the first time and I know absolutely NOTHING about it. I got some train wreck seeds and there's no way I'm growing these things outside. If someone has a few minutes, please help me out and tell me where to start with this project. From the flat bottom. I'll give you all the info I can to try and make whatever help you can give me a little easier on you.

I've got a $200, maaaybe $250 budget. I'm only gonna grow 1 plant at first, and if things go well, I'll plant 1 more in another room. Initially, I'll be growing in a regular non-walk-in closet with about 6 feet of space. I can turn that into maybe 8 with a little work if I absolutely HAVE to? I've got a small fan I can hang from the clothing pole, or something? I don't know what lights to use. I don't know what to put the lights in. What should I put on the walls? All those little things man, if you can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I've been trying to read up on things but most sources are contradictory.
For the past year, I've left all the lights on in my house during the day and night, and as soon as I get those grow lights turned on, I'm gonna stop leaving the house lights on all the time so that there is no huge jump in the amount of electricity being used in my house, one way or the other.

I don't know if I'll get any help cuz I'm new here, but again, I sure would appreciate it.

I Want Buds

I want Buds. There's lot's of good information concerning growing in our Resources area. Read through it; you'll find what you need.

With a $200.00-$250.00 budget you might find that fluorescent lights would be cheap enough. Ideally, you want to use HID lighting. This means using both metal halide and high pressure sodium lamps. However, I don't think you can get those for what you're able to spend.

You say that you have 6' of space. What are the dimensions of your closet? What is the width, height and depth? If you have have enough room to hang 4' fixtures, then you should be able to get some of those and the fluorescent lights that go in them for not too much money.

Then, you need good soil too. Hydroponics would probably be too expensive; I don't know.

One of the most expensive items is a pH meter, but it's very important. Since you have a limited budget, you could try pH reagent drops. They don't cost much. Once I did an all fluorescent grow without a care in the world for pH and it worked out quite well. In fact, I even used Miracle Grow, with great results. However, I wouldn't try the same trick using HIDs.

Well, there's a lot more to growing than what I've mentioned. So, read the info in the Resources area, and come back at us with more questions.

I Want Buds said:
I don't know if I'll get any help cuz I'm new here

Hello I Want Buds :)

Welcome to the forum.

No one gets ignored here :aok:

As your working on a budget its maybe best to paint your grow area instead of buying Mylar, buy a tin of flat white paint and paint all surfaces.

You can use compact flourescent lights for the vegetative growth stage, keeping costs down, these lights will be left on 24 hours a day.

You will need to vent your area (old air out and new air in)

Ph is very important when growing MJ.

To keep costs down I would grow in pots with un nutriented soil.

Have you read through this section yet?

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

:peace:

Hello I Want Buds!

Don't we all? Welcome to the forum.... You'll find lots of help here from some very helpful people regardless of your level of experience. There are tons of resources available and you should first go through the large collection of info on 'Sticky' posts as well as FAQ's... The 'Search' function is very powerful and will help you find what you're looking for. Maybe a grow with T5 fluorescents would be a good place for you to start. If you go with HID lighting you'll need to control heat and have some robust ventilation. With fluoros you'll still need ventilation but the situation won't be nearly as demanding. And then there's odor... do lots of searching and researching odor control as it can surely sink your ship.

Happy Growing!:cool:

@ Alistair Young....

Actually though it rather blew My mink htgsupply.com has a 400 watt HPS that would see him through the grow on their front page for 119.95...Which would still leave money for Mylar and perhaps some nutes depending ...Though thats leaving out venting and air exchange.

James

MysticWolf that was a great link, it helped me find this:

htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47981

So do you think that will good enough for 1 or 2 plants?

Hi,

I'm a big fan of using both MH and HPS spectrum, especially during flowering. I've been using a 1k Solar Max Dual Arc bulb for my current grow and things are looking awesome. The Solar Max has both a 600w HPS and a 400w MH in one bulb so it's a similar approach to the HTG light you're looking at. My only concern with the HTG light is that it isn't in an air cooled reflector that can have an inline ventilation fan hooked up to it for heat control. You won't have success growing with that reflector in the tight space of the closet you mentioned. There will be too much heat and I'm sure temps would stay in the 90's... about 20 degrees TOO hot for dankness! :eek:

I'm a big believer in the technology but what kind of commitment are you going to make financially to getting things setup? If you must grow in that tight of a space without a powerful inline fan you should go with the lower temps of fluorescents. You'll still need ventilation but even a fan blowing into the open closet door during the day cycle could accomplish this at least enough to get some decent results. If you decide to go with HID lighting whether it's MH, HPS or a dual arc approach even blowing cool air into the closet won't keep the temps in the 70s where they need to be or you'll get dank-free or dank-lite buddage...

To use HID lighting in a tight space, an air cooled reflector with a high velocity inline fan and ventilation duct - preferably 6" or larger - is the key for success. You need to pull that heat out of the closet and exhaust the heat along with the odor outdoors. And speaking of odor... you'll need carbon filtering as well or everyone will know what's going on in your bedroom.

I speak from experience as I grew weed in spaces too hot for several years before I realized how important heat control is to success. You can have every other factor perfect... ie light, air movement, low humidity, perfect root development, and a great nute plan with happy looking plants and it still won't yield dank results if the temps are too hot. You won't be happy with the final product...

So... IF you are able to get the heat issue ironed out with some stout ventilation and maybe an A/C window unit in your bedroom, a 400w HID light is a great choice. You can easily grow two nice sized plants under that light or you could go with a SCROG (Screen of Green) approach with many smaller plants trained under a screen to keep bud development even. If you keep your grow canopy even you'll be able to keep the plants close to the light for great bud development. This technique is done successfully by lots of growers with T5's and compact fluoros too... It all depends on your ability or lack of ability to deal with heat.

Good Luck!

Well what do you think about fluorescent lighting?
Say I decided to grow that route due to the mere fact that right now I don't have many options; but everything I've heard, well, read, about fluorescent says that they pretty much suck and you get very little and weak buds. If I wasn't about to plant some Train Wreck then I might carelessly give it a try, but I've been waiting quite a while to come across these seeds on the street and I desperately want this to go good. I guess I'm setting the bar kinda High :D on my first indoor try, but the seeds are callin the shots. Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back