Switchable ballast vs Dimmable ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Stank... It is dangerous. Well, maybe not dangerous but you will probably kill your bulb.

Do the math.... A 1000w ballast running at 50% is pushing 500 watts. You are using a 400 watt bulb. Pushing 500w to a 400w bulb can't be good for the bulb.

LOL--I think the light bulb salesman is trying to sell more light bulbs. Will the ballast also take MH bulbs?

I have not heard this assertion before and if it were me, I would certainly want to hear it from someone who did not make their living hawking light bulbs.

BINGO---once again imo thg is spot on

as far as dimable/switchable ballasts---this just seems to be the new marketing/packaging tool for a 1k digital ballast---it never made any sense to me to use the lower settings---1k watts all the way cause bigger is always better

bulbs on the other hand---i prefer to spend the $100 on the hortilux and run it for a year before switching it out no matter if it still lights or not because they do lose their efficiency over time---others i know are so bulb anal---they buy new 1k hortilux after every harvest

i am looking for an affordable light meter that measures spectrum and intensity if anybody might be able to direct me????

As I mentioned a couple posts up, I can use this one exactly like you use your dimmable. I can simply use a 1000w bulb and dim it to any setting I choose. So, the salesman would not be selling more bulbs.

The difference is that I can IF I CHOOSE, use a 400w bulb. Lots of reasons for that..... Let's say I can't afford a 1000w bulb right now and only have a 400w. I can use that in my ballast and, later when I can afford the 1000w, I can use it to. The dimmabale ballasts do not offer that option (I don't believe).

The switchable ballast is definitely superior in features to the dimmable. Simple because the switchable will do everything that the dimmable ballast will do.... and more.

Now, I wonder what the cost difference is. Not sure what I paid for my switchable. I'll check and post back later.

As I mentioned a couple posts up, I can use this one exactly like you use your dimmable. I can simply use a 1000w bulb and dim it to any setting I choose. So, the salesman would not be selling more bulbs.

The difference is that I can IF I CHOOSE, use a 400w bulb. Lots of reasons for that..... Let's say I can't afford a 1000w bulb right now and only have a 400w. I can use that in my ballast and, later when I can afford the 1000w, I can use it to. The dimmabale ballasts do not offer that option (I don't believe).

The switchable ballast is definitely superior in features to the dimmable. Simple because the switchable will do everything that the dimmable ballast will do.... and more.

Now, I wonder what the cost difference is. Not sure what I paid for my switchable. I'll check and post back later.

fair enuff---my problem---i just never could wrap my head around downsizing my light source

I agree. A heat problem is the only reason I can think of to dim a light. Then, you should actually address ventilation, not downsizing your light.

Still, I guess it's nice to have the option. We'll see if I ever use it or not.

I always say....It only cost's a little more to go first class. LOL

Well if you Ran bulb 12 hrs a day for one year you would use 4368 hrs on bulb if ran 18 hrs a day every day for one year 6552 hrs on bub
they say the bulb is good for 24,000 hrs so they say then 2 -3 year replacement is not that far off ??? IMO 15,000 hrs would be max i would use them for but would keep them for back ups

Latest posts

Back