T-5 Fluorescent Temperatures (K) - Most Effective?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esoteric C.G.

Reaction score
Hello all,

would it be more effective to start your seedlings/clones and start the vegetative cycle (first two weeks) with a mixture of 6500K and 3000K T-5 bulbs
OR
only 6500K bulbs?

I realize that the 6500K are intended for plant growth and 3000K is for flowering/budding.

But would a mixture of cold and warm light be more effective than only cold? What would the results/differences be?

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

I use the T5's that came with the fixture to vedge. They work real well. I even ran them when flowering last winter. Didnt change them at all and I got some real nice buddage.

Gonna bump this up for you...

IMO either bulb will do but 6500k would be more accurate...do they make a T5 5000k or 4500k ? i use 5000k T8's

Thanks for the bump.

I'm not sure whether they produce those. I just know it was a pain finding a site that sells T-5's with the option of different temperatures, however odd that may seem.

i would think that any "bluish" light would be ideal....as in cool white. all of my bulbs say either cool or warm.

PUFF MONKEY said:
do they make a T5 5000k or 4500k ? i use 5000k T8's

I just put up a few T5's at the shop that had 5000k bulbs.

Esoteric C.G. said:
Thanks for the bump.

I'm not sure whether they produce those. I just know it was a pain finding a site that sells T-5's with the option of different temperatures, however odd that may seem.

HTG supply has both 3000K and 6500K for decent prices.

Thanks for all the input, Ladies and Gentlemen.

I neglected to mention that the fixtures had 14W lights in them. That is why I had problems locating replacement bulbs. Because I am assuming/quite sure I cannot use higher wattage bulbs on lower wattage fixtures.

Would these be sufficient for growing(not a specific amount of plants; just period)? If there were, say, 8 x 2' fixtures with 2 bulbs each at 6500K.

Let me know if I'm not being specific enough, I'm a bit rusty on everything growing.

5000's are no good. 6500 for veg, 3000 or less for flower

Esoteric C.G. said:
Thanks for all the input, Ladies and Gentlemen.

I neglected to mention that the fixtures had 14W lights in them. That is why I had problems locating replacement bulbs. Because I am assuming/quite sure I cannot use higher wattage bulbs on lower wattage fixtures.

Would these be sufficient for growing(not a specific amount of plants; just period)? If there were, say, 8 x 2' fixtures with 2 bulbs each at 6500K.

Let me know if I'm not being specific enough, I'm a bit rusty on everything growing.

14W? How many lumens are these putting out?

I would go with the 6500K. There is some evidence to show that more blue light (along with a list of other things) can help increase your percentage of females.

Latest posts

Back