T5 Bulbs? What's the best combo of K?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get 10000 kelvin t5 bulbs with uv a at high tech garden supply for around $10. i only use them in flower though. i know the light color is very blue for the flowering phase but i have only used one uv a out of my 4 t5's (the others are bloom spectrum) and supplemented with bloom color temp cfl's.

Nice! Thanks for the info, im planning on a 4' 8 tube fixture for a 2'×4' space for veg an somtimes flower. Wouldnt they work great for veg also? With the blue spetrum an uv? BtL

i use 10000 kelvin for veg. my only thought is that the spectrum may keep them very squat. i need that in my grow space but it may be disappointing to someone used to faster growth. i still veg for 8 weeks from seed but my plants are no taller than probably 2 and a half feet when i harvest them. i use one of the uv a 10000 kelvin bulbs in my flowering. i will be sing 2 this go round as i got a 2 bulb 4 foot fixture to go along with my 4 bulb 4 foot. i think a broader spectrum can't be bad(i see amazing results where folks mix led spectrums) and where you have 8 slots, i would give one or two of those slots a try with those bulbs.

I am using led for red an blue spetrum right now as supplemental lighting along with an hid. Growth rate was awesome! Im using a 600w digi mh/hps now but my 2nd setup is gonna be T5 lighting an eventually ill switch the other setup also. Thats what i was thinking using the slots for different tubes, i can cut the veg time down by cloning, im tryin to get a continous grow going so i can harvest every couple months or so. BtL

The 24 watt is from my 2 foot 4 bulb fixture that is much higher quality in fixture and bulb that's why it's 24w
My 4 foot 8 bulb has cheap bulbs that are 54 W 6500K but that's it . The other bulbs are much nicer. I wanna find the 4 footer bulbs for $10 like the OP said

Even with the 2' id have the 54w tubes, there double the wattage i dont see how those 24w bulbs could be better but im no lighting expert. Everything i have read so far says to use 54w tubes, this could be part of your issue. Jmo....BtL

Yup. Those are the ones I use. Not to be a pooper but are t5 fixtures interchangeable as far as high output and standard output?

Yup. Those are the ones I use. Not to be a pooper but are t5 fixtures interchangeable as far as high output and standard output?
not sure i understand the question, are you asking if you can put a standard bulb in a T5 fixture?

I should probably use the whirled wise intraweb to search for the answer but I was wondering if there are high output fixtures and standard output fixtures or can use use either bulb in any t5. Been drinking this evening so I may still not be making any sense...

I believe theres only 1 type of T5 HO. Fixture, but im no expert im just learning about them myself. BtL

I can't find anything definitive but a couple of aquarium sites say you need ho ballasts for ho tubes otherwise the ho bulb only operates at 28 or so watts. Might be a good question to ask someone at a lighting store though. I am a noob too...

I can't find anything definitive but a couple of aquarium sites say you need ho ballasts for ho tubes otherwise the ho bulb only operates at 28 or so watts. Might be a good question to ask someone at a lighting store though. I am a noob too...

I believe you're thinking of VHO T-5s as to the normal HO T-5s.

I was gonna make a post about the aquium bulbs you use for under water plants. Has anyone used those?

Unless the 24W tubes are the double tubes, they are only outing out about 2000-2500 lumens each. A 2' 12 tube fixture is not going to put out enough light for a 4 x 4 space. It is only going to be running 24,000 to 30,000 lumens. A 4' 12 tube T5 is going to put out 60,000 lumens. There really is no real difference in the different sized tubes other than they are less wattage and therefore less lumens.

I also have never seen different types of T5 fixtures, other than the different lengths and therefore different wattages and tube sizes. I really believe that all T5s are HOs. Also what do you believe makes the 24W tubes better than the 54W tubes? I personally have tried a myriad of different T5 tubes of differing sizes from a lot of different retailers and have never experienced any difference at all between expensive tubes and inexpensive tubes. Exactly why do you believe that the 24W tubes are better?

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422809011.600196.jpg
The fixture is rated at 24W you can't put bigger bulbs into it .

The 24w bulbs are brighter look better plants responde better the 56w bulbs are cheap dim and plants don't seem to like them at all.

My cheap light meter always says they are better. The bulbs in question are CHEAP china fixture cost me $200 CDN most places where $400 see why I say it's cheap.

i recently set up a T5 4' 8 bulb fixture in my veg room, i had been doin research on all the different bulbs that do all this crazy stuff, i picked the Agromax 10k finisher bulbs and you can tell a big difference in the brightness of the bulbs, i placed 4 of the stock bulbs with the 10k bulbs an also added 2 of the blue pure par bulbs, the light is very bright with a bluish tint. we shall see how they work...BtL

24w better than 54w does not compute.
Besides, even T5s with 54w HO will NOT get you completely through veg (in my experience)
When I first used my T5, the plants looked great, after a few weeks, they even started to look like they were straining to bask in it's glory but they were actually straining to reach the lamp, they weren't happy, they weren't getting enough light! I moved them under an MH and they settled right down.
I don't think there's much merit in this UVB stuff, and wear eye protection if you start messing with that. I often get caught up in this 'increase yield' stuff, I've tried a lizard bulb for UV, mixed up stuff in a bottle to generate CO2, all a waste of time if you ask me.
56 is too cold, leave the lamp on 24 hours.

Latest posts

Back