t5 t8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrobud

bhc# vhc# 5150
Reaction score
i have a floresence shop light,4 bulb with t8 bulbs, whats the diff between the t5s and are they interchangeable? thanks

I don't know about the T8s but comparing the T5s to T12s, they're a different length, a different diameter, have different end-pins (connectors), and require a different ballast.

yea i did a little more research and found that the t5 is a little shorter and not as big around, i dont think i can interchange bulbs. if anybody can clarify:confused2:

Not interchangeable....T5's are a higher wattage bulb requirment than a T8...might light up for a little while but the ballast's are different....

astrobud said:
yea i did a little more research and found that the t5 is a little shorter and not as big around, i dont think i can interchange bulbs. if anybody can clarify:confused2:

Yeah, it would be sweet if we could drop T5 bulbs in an old T12 fixture, but alas, it isn't possible.

astrobud said:

They are totally different.
I have t8, t12 and t5's.
The t5 bulbs is only as thick as your finger and WONT work in anyother fixture ! The higher the # the thicker the bulb.
You NEED a T5 fixture to run T5 bulbs. End of story.

The number after the T denotes the diameter of the tube in 1/8th of an inch--ie a T12 is 12/8 or 1-1/2", a T5 5/8".

T5s are high output tubes and require a T5 ballast. You can get 2' T5 bulbs that are 54W and put out 5000 lumens. None of the other fluoro tubes can come close to that.

Latest posts

Back