TALL sprouts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figurehead

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New here and couldn't find anything about this so sorry if it has been asked before (probably countless times). I planted about 30 White Widow seeds and only 2 of them sprouted. They are just over 2 weeks old now and unusualy tall IMO. Is this normal? They are over 5 inches tall now and don't seem to be "bushing out", just going straight up. Any advice would be appreciated. Here are pics from last week if it helps any:

plant008go5.jpg

plant009ga5.jpg

From the looks of things they are stretching for the light. Tell us about your setup? What kind of lights, soil and so on. Also i edited your pics as we don't allow Photo Bucket or Image Shack picture services to be used on this site for saftey reasons. Here is a link that tells why. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20694 If you need help uploading pics another way just give a yell. ;)

Ah, thank you very much, both for the welcome and pic help.

When the seeds were planted they were just germinated in water and wrapped in a paper towel, then put into those cheap little Walmart herb garden greenhouse kits. The pics are from 4 days after they were put into the little "pods". Only the 2 grew, but they shot right out of the pods and went straight up. There was no light used for them at that time. I got concerened about their rapid growth and heigth so I planted each one in a large pot and made sure about an inch of what was above the pod went under the soil in the pots to add stability to the sprouts. The have just a regular flourescent grow light right now 24/7 and all they are doing is getting taller, although at a slower pace now. Is this normal or do I just have some monsters? LOL! The seeds were old, about a year, and not really taken care of, so getting 2 to even grow was a miricle, but these 2 just don't look right to me, too tall too fast.

Right now it is about 2 inches above the sprouts. When those pics were taken tho, there was no light other than regular indoor lights.

I know I am doing just about everything wrong, but right now this is just an experiment to see how they do. You honestly couldn't get anymore "slop" than this in growing. Sorry if it offends anyone knowledgable here, but it was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I'll do better next time, I promise. LOL!:p

Good advice TBG- those babies are stretching!

Well I'll be damned, the Crystal seed from our new bag I planted last Saturday just shot up today. When I left for work there was nothing. I get home and it's 2 inches tall!

no biggie just place them closer to the light source

To the 2 White Widow sprouts I have growing like vines I added more potting soil to them to prop them up a bit. They are just now starting to devolope the second set of leaves (other than the primary leaves).

Wow man you have no clue what you are doing. Thats not a bad thing though I was there also.

what type of light do you have on them and how many watts? You said it's just a regular fluorescent light but what does that mean? is it a 15 watt 12" aquarium tube fluorescent? if it is then thats not going to work. You need to go to the store and buy a couple of daylight(6500k) CFL's and there might be a chance of saving them. Get some sort of stick next to them and loosely tie them to it to support them. If I were you I would just kill them and start fresh.

If you germinated them properly then every plant you planted would have sprouted unless you put them into poison dirt. germinating seeds is getting them moist for a few days till the shell cracks open and you see a little white root sticking out. Then after a day or so after planting the cracked seeds you should have as many sprouts as you planted seeds.

The light your using now is not working as you said "the Crystal seed from our new bag I planted last Saturday just shot up today. When I left for work there was nothing. I get home and it's 2 inches tall" That is not normal. My sprouts are 3 days old, have the third set of leaves showing now and are and inch tall and under.

Do some searches and read as much as possible if you are expecting anything to grow properly or at all.

LOL! Thanks. As I said before, I'm not seriously growing, I'm just kind of experimenting right now with some bag seeds. When I get more knowledgable I will be more "proper". Right now the bulb I have is just a regular grow light flourescent, I think 18 inches. Got it at Walmart a few years ago accidentaly thinking I got a flouro for under a kitchen counter and never took it back for the right thing I needed. As a lark a few weeks ago I planted a few (ok 30 or so) White Widow seeds from our smoke bag. I never expected them to grow and when they did I started looking online and found this place.

Think of it as a model airplane builder. Right now my skill level is those little balsa wood wind up propeller planes. One of these days I'll graduate to RC Helicopters. LOL!

CFL's are what you want in the "balsa wood stage"

Capone said:
no biggie just place them closer to the light source

This is not correct (no offence meant Cap), if you leave the plant with a stretched stalk and simply add light as it should have been from the start (light closer) the plant will grow with a thin weak stalk and it will fall over with its own weight, do as TBG advises and pot them off so 1 inch is above the grow medium.

thats right, keep the light as close as possible all the time, and remember, the closer the nodes the stronger the plant, and maybe big-buds!!!!!

talk about well hung sprouts.

OK, if I can handle the extra expense, on payday I think I am going to get a CFL and a few other things and try to make a small inexpensive grow box (2'X2'X4') and start a few Crystal seeds in there and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back