Tetrafluroehane Extraction / how would it react to a full PCV setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, but in Cali you would be skating a fine line that could get you a serious jail term

This extraction method is already safer!
Flammability. Reactivity. Health effects.
One thing may be safer in one category but worse in another.
You're right I don't know what education or experience you have. But Freon extraction is something I personally wouldn't attempt nor consume. We really don't know the number that belongs in the blue box yet.
Just be safe ; )

Sinky just check this out, please!

Attachments

• 14_Guilin_meeting-Bk_presentation(1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
It's a good presentation showing the benefits and method for making a wormwood extraction; I don't doubt the method is solid.
What I'm worried about here is different- specifically, section 11 of the SDS for tetrafluoethane. All the target organ and long term subsections where there should be information? "None available" is a red flag for me. We simply don't have a lot of data yet.
Maybe this is the holy grail of extraction solvents; maybe it's the next vape lung epidemic. We just don't know yet.
I just know to give halogenated hydrocarbons a verrry wide berth. They degrade nastily.

Fogey, our local commercial CBD plant runs that low temp ethanol process one of the guys posted. Havent been in there yet to check it out but their hazmat removal contractor is a friend of mine : )

It looks like HFC breaks down into hydrogen fluoride at some temperature(400 c maybe). If you had some residual left in your concentrate(and you are almost certain to)you would be inhaling essentially hydroflouric acid. You seem dead set on using it so good luck with that...

One lesser-known solvent is 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane,
known as “R134a” as well as many other trade names. It
is used mainly as a refrigerant and to a lesser extent as a
botanical extraction solvent. THCA does not have high
solubility in this solvent, so decarboxylation of the plant
material before extraction is best to increase cannabi-
noid recovery. R134a is currently being used by a small
number of extraction companies where its nonflamma-
bility and relatively low cost are used as selling points.
The extraction equipment is similar to other closed-
loop pressurized systems because R134a is a gas at at-
mospheric conditions. It’s unclear if this will gain trac-
tion as a solvent moving forward or continue to be used
only by a small number of manufacturers

This is pulled from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WMAZ6BAgFEAE&usg=AOvVaw2AeD8ZxAuYilQQIfDFQXhl

How are you going to reclaim your spent solvent for disposal under 42 USC ch 85? That's more complicated than the extraction itself due to the extremely low BP.

How are you going to reclaim your spent solvent for disposal under 42 USC ch 85? That's more complicated than the extraction itself due to the extremely low BP.
Well it was a good argument that I am digging in on...more to follow ;)

I am sure this has been addressed already in someones lab, the wheel maybe already there..

cbd%20oil.jpg

Corroborating that the process works still doesn't give us any data on long term exposure effects.
I'm just gonna wait til they finish filling in those gaping holes in the SDS.
I'm not sure if reclamation of the solvent has been addressed in anyone's lab. No shade to the responsible processors here, who actually dispose of waste solvents appropriately, but there are plenty of folks who just push product out the door with no regard as to federal air quality standards lol we're already breaking one federal law, right? Why not go nuts and check some more off the list? You can safely evaporate co2, evaporating ethanol is a grey area but relatively harmless, butane is regulated, and halogenated solvents are a huge no no.
It's not worth it for a perceived increase in efficiency , or the feeling of being on the cutting edge.

Latest posts

Back