THE DIRT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosterMan

Who was that Guy
Reaction score
I wanted to try and see if this would work
I would like some simple home made soil recipes for people who do not want to use store bought
ie Coots Super soil etc.... Anyone have a secret mix they would like to post up for others to try.
I have made quite a few like old fashion cooks do it a bit of this a bit of that but never wrote any of it down
Some worked OK , and others verywell

Mine is nowhere near as sophisticated as coot's or sub's, but it's simple and effective.

I make my base with a 2.2 cubic ft. bag of sphagnum peat moss, a 30lb bag of EWC, and a few bags of perlite.

I mix together 1 cups each of Nectar For The Gods, garden lime, rock dust, Jobe's all purpose, and 2 cups of kelp meal.

I mix 4 cups of the amendment mix into the base, and wet until it resembles a good, moist cake. Then I let the microbial herd to it's thing for a couple weeks.

Last edited:
High Porosity ProMix with mycorrhiza’s

this mix already has extra Perlite so no need to add any

we add about 5 lbs of worm castings to each bag of dirt

76BA111E-3468-452F-A271-E6C9ECB6608A.jpeg

High Porosity ProMix with mycorrhiza’s

this mix already has extra Perlite so no need to add any

we add about 5 lbs of worm castings to each bag of dirt

View attachment 292998
So Mr Dirt
Please tell us more on how you use these wonderful products
I would imagine dig a hole 1st about 3 foot deep?

So Mr Dirt
Please tell us more on how you use these wonderful products
I would imagine dig a hole 1st about 3 foot deep?

our holes are about the size of a five gallon bucket and we usually throw some kind of nutrients in the bottom of the hole before placing the plant there

otherwise we top dress our plants with some teas using bat guano , bird guano , worm dirt , stuff like that

the ground is pretty saturated with chicken manure , the chickens have access to the garden most of the year and one chicken can produce 1/4 lb of manure per day

Big where did you order your ProMix HP from, the best price I find is around 95 delivered . Any better prices?
I never used this before may give it a shot

we buy at a grow store n ColoradoSprings for about $45 bucks a bag……I could never afford delivery because we live about 120 miles away from the store , one way

our holes are about the size of a five gallon bucket and we usually throw some kind of nutrients in the bottom of the hole before placing the plant there

otherwise we top dress our plants with some teas using bat guano , bird guano , worm dirt , stuff like that

the ground is pretty saturated with chicken manure , the chickens have access to the garden most of the year and one chicken can produce 1/4 lb of manure per day
Oh Darn I forgot the chickens, those I am not allowed to have anymore. When Joe came to visit they would tell my wife everything he did to them after he went home

Latest posts

Back