The end?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treebeard

Reaction score
Hey, I have placed some seeds to germinate in a small container with damp paper towel in and placed the container on a heat matt. Basically i forgot to check them for a couple of days and just discovered that the towel is completly dried out. will this have killed the seeds or will they recover now the towel is damp again?? :confused:

Offspring_36 said:
Hey, I have placed some seeds to germinate in a small container with damp paper towel in and placed the container on a heat matt. Basically i forgot to check them for a couple of days and just discovered that the towel is completly dried out. will this have killed the seeds or will they recover now the towel is damp again?? :confused:
Whats up Offspring36. Damn man that's a bummer. The only thing i can tell ya is wait and see. Did any of them crack open? If so i don't think they will survive but they might have a chance if they didn't. Good luck man. ;)

Yes unfortuantley some have cracked open. luckily i had already planted a few that had sprouted so all is not lost! strange irony of the situation, if i didn't smoke so much i might have rembered! Thanks very much for the help, i suppose i can just wait an see what happens. They wern't very expensive seeds , they were probably gona be male anyway!

Hey, Im having more troubles. I planted some seeds, and when they were planted i could clearly see that they had germinated. But 5days on, no sign. so curiosity got the better of me and i rumaged through the soil and there was nothing there at all. I planted them about an inch below the surface, the compost i used was very sort of granular, larger lumps than usual, could this b e why? its actually the second time its happend, i changed soil brand before this time. ive managed to sprout 1 plant from 8 seeds! oddly it came up right at the side of the container even though it was planted in the middle :confused:. What am i doing wrong???????? Any help much appreciated!

Offspring_36 said:
Hey, Im having more troubles. I planted some seeds, and when they were planted i could clearly see that they had germinated. But 5days on, no sign. so curiosity got the better of me and i rumaged through the soil and there was nothing there at all. I planted them about an inch below the surface, the compost i used was very sort of granular, larger lumps than usual, could this b e why? its actually the second time its happend, i changed soil brand before this time. ive managed to sprout 1 plant from 8 seeds! oddly it came up right at the side of the container even though it was planted in the middle :confused:. What am i doing wrong???????? Any help much appreciated!
Whats up Offspring36. What is the brand name of the dirt you are using? OK once your seeds have germinated how are you planting them into the dirt? Are you putting them so the root is facing downward or upward? I ask this because you say you planted one in the middle and it came up on the side of the pot. This means your not getting them in there straight. You need to have that root facing straight down and the seed head facing straight up. I find it easy to do with a pair of tweasers. ;)

Hey TBG, the brand i was using was a called " jonathon King" but ive switched to Westland compost. I don't know if you would have heard of these brands as they're english, seems that most people are American on here. I think i was possibly being a bit heavy handed with the planting :eek:, basically i made a little hole with a pen then dropped the seed in there, didn't actually take notice of which way up it was. i figured that naturally the seed wouldn't always fall the correct way, can it not determine which way is up? how much should i let the seed sprout before i put it into the soil? Many thanks TBG!

Offspring_36 said:
Hey TBG, the brand i was using was a called " jonathon King" but ive switched to Westland compost. I don't know if you would have heard of these brands as they're english, seems that most people are American on here. I think i was possibly being a bit heavy handed with the planting :eek:, basically i made a little hole with a pen then dropped the seed in there, didn't actually take notice of which way up it was. i figured that naturally the seed wouldn't always fall the correct way, can it not determine which way is up? how much should i let the seed sprout before i put it into the soil? Many thanks TBG!
To be honest with you i'm not sure if they can determine which way is up as we always planted with the root facing downward. Not sure about your soil. Never heard of it. As soon as the seed cracks open we put it into the soil.

ditch the soil...get something good with compost...about 25% ratios.... perlite, cow manure, mushroom compost ,vermeculite. then toss in a bag of worm castings if u can find them with the whole thing..... add up how much soil u mixed up then toss in 1-oz of dolomite lime per gallon of medium no more...

sprout some new seeds in a glass of water- let them sit for 24 hrs then plant 1/4 inch under soil no deeper than a half an inch and sprinkle soil ontop of hole....do not press down at all.

water the whole container well and wait.

Ok, Ill try again an see if i have any luck. I am already using a compost soil with perlite and vermiculite, i couldn't tell you what else is in it but i will look it up. If i have success i'll post a few pics on the journals page soon. Many thanks for all the help again

Hello again, I think i am cursed! Germinated a few more seeds, they sprouted fine, planted them as described. waited 3 days and nothing happens, dig em out and they're exactly the same as when they where planted! :(. Could i be damaging them when i plant them? will this stop them growing? could this be bad batch of seeds??? i Think this grow wasnt meant to happen! :mad:

Latest posts

Back