The Female Growers Group

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is everyone???

Hey, Ozzie, love that "first real picture of you." Handsome dude, indeed. Love those piercing, pulsating eyes....

I think a lot of the folks here, who are outdoor growers are somewhere with sissors and sticky fingers. Stinking of resin. Smoking their bongs, trimming, trimming and more trimming.
tcbud Waves at you Mojave.....

Ahhhh, yeah, TC. so true! I forgot it's sticky fingers time for most growers!
With my plants now being about 8 inches tall, I have a lonnnnng way to go before harvest.

HAPPY HARVEST, EVERYONE!!!

Wish I was trimming. My bagseed grow is now about 8 weeks into flower and still not ready to harvest. My Nirvana seeds should be here next week and I'd like to start a new grow with quality seeds. My one grow box serves as my veg cabinet, flowering cabinet and dryer. It's looking like my current bagseed is going to need 12 weeks or so.

G'Morning Everyone! THinking about lights today, as hubby actually asked me how much a good light would cost. This means he's thinking about somehow putting it into the budget. While I'm glad to pay my dues by doing it the hard way--taking the plants in and out each day so they can get natural sunlight, I must admit I'm salivating at the thought of being able to just leave them in the grow room.

I'm trying to read all the lighting posts, but so much of it is just technically above my head. Any of you use the switchable ballasts?

Happy Humpday, everyone! Big smiles to all the growers with sticky fingers this morning.

hello Mojave...........so glad to hear you are considering an all indoor grow. How exciting! To grow year round and just go into a room and have it all there....or two rooms, or however it works out. I dont know about switchable ballasts, I do know I am really happy for you.....husband must see you are dedicated to "the Grow".

Happy humpday right back at you. Sticky fingers this weekend, more come down then for me....now it is a wait dry wait, wait dry wait.....not to be confused with dry weight.

I love my Lumatek that runs MH and red spectrum bulbs without having to buy a conversion bulb. It is quiet, cool and lightweight.

Be sure if you choose this one however, not to get the one that runs at either 120 or 240 but that you choose 120 OR 240. The single volt choice is much more efficient. Also the newer ones have corrected the bulb blow out problem due to insufficient flame up power.

Gourmet, I really appreciate your feedback! Which Lumatek do you have? So I need to look for one that runs at either 120 or 240--but I have to choose which one to order, and should not choose the ones that offer both? I will be running on 120. When you mention the "newer ones" have corrected the bulb blow out problem (I have heard this before too, and hence, my concern with getting the dual veg/flower ballast) --do you mean all the new ones, or only the new Lumateks?

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I can't make a mistake here. I'll have one shot to get the lights, and if I screw it up, hubby isn't going to rush to my side with more money to make it right. He's still paying off all my medical bills, and for some crazy reason, he seems to feel that's a priority. <G>

One more question---everyone--anyone? On my latest grow journal, one of the posters (Chef) asked if I worried about my plants going hermie because I'm bringing them inside and out twice a day. What is it exactly that moving the plants could cause the plants to hermie? I'm very careful in handling them. Will simply moving them twice a day really cause them to hermie?

Thanks for any insight here! I'm way out of my element when it comes to understanding lights (though I've read the light threads a multitude of times, honestly!) and understanding what things stress out plants.

Truly, thank you all in advance. I'd never have gotten this far without all of you.

TC, There has never been a time when I haven't WANTED to do an all indoor grow! But life has a way of throwing curveballs in spite of good intentions. Another hundred grand or so and I'll have those pesky medical bills paid off. Hahhh! No, I won't wait that long to get good lights. I see them coming in the next 6 months, maybe sooner. Now that I'm asking hubby to help me take them in every night and hike those gazillion flouros up and down (I can't reach them in my wheelchair), he's realizing just how much work it is.
He also is very aware that we're no longer paying $120 for an eighth of smoke for my pain needs every month any longer. So I don't think it's going to be too hard of a sell. We can budget in other areas, right?

MaMa
I also have used the the switchable light system. Bought from SunSystems and it worked real well. I was growing inside in the winter in Montana and only having one system was so easy. The ballast had a switch you could turn off you mh light and switch on the sodium when they were flowering.

And boy!!!! won't that make your life simpler? What will you do with all the extra time?

Good Luck

I meant the new Lumatek has corrected the blow out problem. It works fine with MH and sodium without having to switch anything over. And the new Lumateks are strictly 120 or 240 not switchable between 120 and 240 (since they waste power when they are the switchable model).

Just be sure if you order one that they are not using old stock.

mojavemama said:
Gourmet, I really appreciate your feedback! Which Lumatek do you have? So I need to look for one that runs at either 120 or 240--but I have to choose which one to order, and should not choose the ones that offer both? I will be running on 120. When you mention the "newer ones" have corrected the bulb blow out problem (I have heard this before too, and hence, my concern with getting the dual veg/flower ballast) --do you mean all the new ones, or only the new Lumateks?

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I can't make a mistake here. I'll have one shot to get the lights, and if I screw it up, hubby isn't going to rush to my side with more money to make it right. He's still paying off all my medical bills, and for some crazy reason, he seems to feel that's a priority. <G>

One more question---everyone--anyone? On my latest grow journal, one of the posters (Chef) asked if I worried about my plants going hermie because I'm bringing them inside and out twice a day. What is it exactly that moving the plants could cause the plants to hermie? I'm very careful in handling them. Will simply moving them twice a day really cause them to hermie?

Thanks for any insight here! I'm way out of my element when it comes to understanding lights (though I've read the light threads a multitude of times, honestly!) and understanding what things stress out plants.

Truly, thank you all in advance. I'd never have gotten this far without all of you.

Get the Lumatek that runs on 120. Unless you have a large grow or already have 240 run into your grow room, there is no reason to go with a 240.

Light stress was probably what chef was talking about. When you are flowering, you need to be very consistent with your lighting. If you are in veg, you should be okay (well other than possibly bringing in pests).

Hello Ladies...Been a while since i stopped in...Happy smokeing to you all..:48:

mojavemom...what I think chef maybe talking about is the diffrent enviorement..not so much you moveing tham about....when we take plants from inside to the outside we Aculate(sp) them..a little at time..but this is also strain dependant..Lets Butter up :giggle: Hubby...and I agree with My Ladie HempGodess..get that 120..

HempGod....Glad to see you to this fine day:48: I may be mistaken but I think Mojave...flowered inside last yr..was only useing outside for veg..Ill be corrected here soon...Im sure:spit:

Gourmet...How are you? I love growing weed:D

Colorado Lady
..tcbud..smokemom..and the rest of you ladies.:ciao:

anyone seen My Favorite Female Grower? :hubba: :heart: think I been stood up this morning:hitchair: oh..what did 4u2 do now :doh:

Thank you my friends!

Okay, I'm straight on the lights now---I can use a 120 switchable ballast for both types of bulbs, but get the one made ONLY to go 120, not to both.

Now...how about if I add the cooling? Am I likely to start popping circuit breakers? How about if I run some fluoros in the closet for vegging and cloning? If I can get away without calling in an electrician, all the better.
Way too many transient workers here in our area, and I'd be afraid of being ripped off. But, if 240 is going to be more optimum, then I should know that now and start looking for a reputable electrician, but one who wouldn't "tell" about my grow room nor set me up to be ripped off. Not an easy task in this particular area.

And....last stupid question for this post anyway, how about types of reflective hoods? So many different opinions on shapes and what reflects best that my brain is fried.

Yes, I plan to stay small--at least, my main grow area is 10' X 4'. I have a small closet in the room that I planned to use for clones and seedlings, and could use my T8 fluoros there. But do you think that would put me over the top and blow my circuits constantly?

Thanks, Gourmet--I'll be sure to make certain my Lumatek is among the newer ones. That was SUCh helpful information!

HempG, If it was light that was the concern during flowering, I was very careful on the timing and on sealing every possible light leak in the grow room. I put them outside at the same time each day, brought them in at the same time, and back under the lights until time to turn off the lights for 12 hrs. Some days I got more outside time than others--but by flowering time, it was too hot to put them outside for more than morning sun hours.

4U, thanks for the heads up on the need to acclimate plants to the outside and inside. I have tried to slowly build up time outside, and so far, they don't look at all stressed. Truly, these plants this time are far, FAR superior to the bagseed grow of my first time. Better seed! <G> A little more experienced apprentice grower, too!

And 4U, also, my plants were outside every possible day during veg AND flowering. The problem came when I was gone for the week on vacation, and hubby left them sitting in water for 8 days, nearly drowning them.

It's going to be really interesting to see how they fare in a different temperature range, since this will be a fall-winter indoor-outdoor grow. Last time, it was a winter-spring grow. I'll be relying on indoor lights more during flowering, should it get really cold and nasty this winter. It could be very mild--we never know. There have been many Christmas days we've had Christmas dinner outside on the patio in 70 degree weather, bright and sunny. Other times, it's been freezing.

Oops, I lied...one more question. Should I go for the 600 watt rather than 1000, if I'm going 120?

The thing is, if I wait to have hubby save up for a COUPLE of great lights, then it's going to be a much longer wait. If I go with ONE light, switchable, (and something with a cooling hood maybe?) then I could have it in just a month or two--especially if it doesn't require finding a trustworthy electrician.

And that would set me up for flowering time, when I may need that light more than anything. With such good beans this time, and such gorgeous plants--I would sure like to do right by them. And graduate from Kindergarden to 1st grade in my education!

Thank you everyone, for your help. I really appreciate it.

2ndGrow101009.jpg

very nice MM...I would get the 1000 light..more lumes...as for Hood..its up to you...i like the metal white ones..and mine are all inclosed as well..I found My 1000 HPS cool tube on Craigslist for 150 dolllars...Im against purchaseing things twice..if ya get that 600 and down the road you Kick yourself by saying i shoulda went with Bigger..but in the 10x4 i would say a 1000 is best..just my thaughts..Look in tis room and test the outlets..find 3 seperate breakers. someyimes Hard to do..but should find 2...one in wall and one in ceiling light...now the cieling light i would only run Fans as this is lower voltage wire..find ya a wall outlet and get youself a good power strip..this will run lights and some asculating fans..look into Vortex air exchange..you said 10x 4...i need to know the hieght as well..this gives us the CFM..and get..I like to exchange the rooms air every 4 minutes....I wish i was close enough to come help..please feel free to Pm me if ya think i can help...Take care and be safe..will see ya in the desert grow:ciao:

Wow! 4U, thank you SO much for the info!

I don't understand a couple things you wrote about breakers--so will PM you tomorrow.

You asked about room size: Basically, my room is about 9'X9' and 8' high. My grow area is about 1/3 of the room. It's a standard small tract house extra bedroom with a tiny closet, the kind that comes with sliding doors.

I am glad to know you think the 1000w would be better than the 600w. I was concerned with overloading the electrical system. For the $150 or so difference, I can see your point to go for the lumens. So it won't overtax the electrical system to upgrade to 1000 over 600?

Heat is a problem already. It's so bright in that room that I have to close the door at night, or middle of the night bathroom trips about wipe the eyeballs outta your head. By morning, it's a good 80 degrees in there. I open the door about 4 am, and it cools down pretty quickly. I have two fans running now--one oscillating fan and one ceiling fan. Whoever thinks fluoros run COOL have not spent time in my grow room! <G>

So I wondered about the cool tubes...and if that might help.

I think you're brave to buy a light on craigslist! I don't know if I'd do that. Maybe. But the newer lights I want would probably not be on there anyway, only the older magnetic kind. I want the digital. I have read that there is only 5% output difference between a 600w digital and a 1000w magnetic.
I have read also that the digitals are far superior in longevity. Any truth to those claims?

I sure appreciate all the feedback. I really DO want to make this work, and get to the point that if my health plummets again, I won't have to try to kill myself to get these plants in and out every day, and chase the sun around our small backyard. I have to move the carts about 3 times a day while they are outside to capture the sun.

I'm so thrilled with the quality of my seedlings this time--they are SOOOOOO superior to what I germed last grow. These have HUGE leaves, and they actually are liking the nutes instead of getting nute burn. I am in LOOOVE with these plants. They are just so pretty, so healthy looking. And they give me such pleasure to watch them grow.

You are going to need to check your breaker box and see how many amps is serving that room (probably 15 amps). Then you are going to have to figure out what else is on the same circuit (probably another bedroom or two). Then you are going to have to figure out how many amps you will be using. You are most likely pushing your amps with a 1000W and ventilation.

I would look at running a dedicated circuit into that room. You can say that it is for computer equipment. I would run at least a 30 amp circuit. Try to find a friend or neighbor that knows a good electrician. Or if you know other people in the trades (plumbers, HVAC, etc), they can usually give you the name of a good electrician.

I am switching from a single 1000W HPS to 2 600W--I believe that it will give me a lot better, more even light coverage in my rectangular closet (3 x 6.5'). I find that the plants on the ends of the closet do not really get enough light.

THG, thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice. I was originally planning for two 600w lights--but starting with one. I also wondered about the plants on the ends getting enough light--since my grow area is also narrower and longer. And I think it's probably very sound advice to get an electrician out to run in a dedicated 30 amp circuit. Good idea to tell them it's for computer equipment!

Hmmmm, well, that would be the first step then--get the room set up for a dedicated circuit. I don't have to make a decision on the lights right now this very moment.

Thanks so much!

Latest posts

Back