The Female Growers Group

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ladies!

What a great group. I'm new to growing, and have my first plants in veg now. They are growing inside ghetto style under fluoros at night, and outside during the day under the sun. They look great so far, and several have already preflowered with pistils.

I live in the Mojave Desert, and it's way too hot during the summer to grow outside. Thus, my experiment with indoor-outdoor growing.

I'm an old disabled boomer, use a powerchair for legs, and marijuana helps tremendously with pain and aids in sleep. Unfortunately, pot here is now way over my disability income budget--at nearly a grand for an ounce of bagweed. I have been buying an eighth at a time, and trying to use it as sparingly and carefully as possible.

I decided to try a grow with hopes that I might be able to get a crop to harvest. Even though it's a ghetto grow, and I know I won't get the biggest buds with fluoros, it's what I CAN do now, and any little bit I do end up with is going to help immensely.

I've really enjoyed reading the threads here and getting to know everyone!
I'm a retired service dog trainer and calligrapher. This grow has become my full-time job. How fascinating to look at them under the microscope!

I'm growing organically, and have my 21 plants in gallon containers, and move them indoors and outdoors in garden carts. I plan to transplant them each into 3 gallon pots before taking them indoors to induce flowering.

Wondered if any of you gals here have ever done an indoor-outdoor grow such as this? And if so, was it successful--even remotely so?

I'll be thrilled to even get an ounce out of all of them--it will still be nearly a thousand dollar savings, and perhaps, I'm a bit afraid to even hope for more than a single ounce! Don't want to get too greedy in my thinking.

I sure welcome any responses and ideas, suggestions--this being my first grow, I'm like every other newbie out there panicked each time a leaf droops or a fan leaf turns yellow. I spend at least an hour every evening checking each plant for bugs before bringing them inside under the fluoros.

i'm like the little train chugging up the hill, "I think I can, I think I can..."

Thanks in advance for any encouragment and suggestions! This is my lifeline to sanity by pain reduction and a couple hours of precious sleep.

Suicidal, eh? That's nuts! err...I mean...

Anyway, I seem to remember having a few crazy minutes in there, and it did make me an insomniac when I got off it. It did kill the cravings, the hard part was breaking the habit. I started working on that months before I quit by giving up several key smokes in the day, including no smoking until I had dropped the little people at school in the morning, not smoking for an hour after dinner, etc. I think that knowing I really was serious about it helped, but I sure did have some tough times in there. My little folks were very patient and loving, their persistence being the reason for quitting to begin with.

I wish you all the best, and I believe in you. Quitting smoking was a turning point for me, because I was strong enough to walk away from something that had done nothing good for me ever in my life and I feel like a million dollars. I walk, ride bikes, and garden. I love to be outdoors as much as possible, loving my plants and yard.

Celebrate with me! I got a hot tub! FOR FREE! Yes, that's right. Abso-freaking-lutely free. Well, I had to buy a couple of people lunch, and gas, and some sodas. Other than that, a huge group of our friends and family all showed up and got it here. It was a hot tub barn raising! BBQ!!!

mojavemama said:
Hi Ladies!

What a great group. I'm new to growing, and have my first plants in veg now. They are growing inside ghetto style under fluoros at night, and outside during the day under the sun. They look great so far, and several have already preflowered with pistils.

I live in the Mojave Desert, and it's way too hot during the summer to grow outside. Thus, my experiment with indoor-outdoor growing.

I'm an old disabled boomer, use a powerchair for legs, and marijuana helps tremendously with pain and aids in sleep. Unfortunately, pot here is now way over my disability income budget--at nearly a grand for an ounce of bagweed. I have been buying an eighth at a time, and trying to use it as sparingly and carefully as possible.

I decided to try a grow with hopes that I might be able to get a crop to harvest. Even though it's a ghetto grow, and I know I won't get the biggest buds with fluoros, it's what I CAN do now, and any little bit I do end up with is going to help immensely.

I've really enjoyed reading the threads here and getting to know everyone!
I'm a retired service dog trainer and calligrapher. This grow has become my full-time job. How fascinating to look at them under the microscope!

I'm growing organically, and have my 21 plants in gallon containers, and move them indoors and outdoors in garden carts. I plan to transplant them each into 3 gallon pots before taking them indoors to induce flowering.

Wondered if any of you gals here have ever done an indoor-outdoor grow such as this? And if so, was it successful--even remotely so?

I'll be thrilled to even get an ounce out of all of them--it will still be nearly a thousand dollar savings, and perhaps, I'm a bit afraid to even hope for more than a single ounce! Don't want to get too greedy in my thinking.

I sure welcome any responses and ideas, suggestions--this being my first grow, I'm like every other newbie out there panicked each time a leaf droops or a fan leaf turns yellow. I spend at least an hour every evening checking each plant for bugs before bringing them inside under the fluoros.

i'm like the little train chugging up the hill, "I think I can, I think I can..."

Thanks in advance for any encouragment and suggestions! This is my lifeline to sanity by pain reduction and a couple hours of precious sleep.

:ciao: Im a Male (so dont chop me:giggle:) but love this group..you have come to the right place to help ya..im sure you will harvest well more then an ounce with that many plants..do you have a grow journal? I would love to see this and fallow along..the desert is a harsh place to grow..have you thought air conditioning inside to help in summer? and thats a lot of moving in and out..what about when plants get big? i am moving a few in and out right now..but for outdoor grow..I wish you the best of luck..and if i can be of any help..please feel free to PM me:aok: take care and be safe friend:bolt::bong:

mojavemama real nice to meet you and welcome to the site, you'll love it hear :) Dog trainer and calligrapher eh? wow thats awesome, I've recently been looking into dog training as a career :D

Hope you are well today

Hello majavemama and welcome to the group, we're glad to have you.
I have 2 sisters in the desert country, so understand your growing restrictions. I'm always envious in the spring,(here), and they are harvesting tomatoes etc...Ahhh but in the summer, they're burnt up and my gardens are going strong. So hang in there and get it done early. Don't imagine hauling 21 one gallon pots around in a garden cart is easy for a lady in a powerchair. But isn't it worth everything to watch our beauties grow and flower?
Have you trained a service dog for yourself? We'd love to see a picture. There is also a great site here to show off our pets. Sorry, don't have link, but think it is here in the coffee table discussion.
Again, WELCOME

Wecome to the Group and the Site Mojavemama. Do you have a journal going on your grow? If you do, place it in your signiture and we can go there easily to keep track of your grow. Also we can read it and help you out if you have any problems. Start a thread in the sub heading "Grow Journals" then add that link to your signiture.
I bet it is just beautiful in the Desert now. I have traveled to Arizona once around Easter and loved it.
Since you are going to grow so many plants, and seem to be planning on hauling them in and out for some time yet, I suggest you go for small plants (there are techniques that can keep your plants small, "super croping" is one) and not grow monsters. Indoor growers here seem to be able to get upwards to an oz. a plant. I grew in containers last year (outside), and my plants got medium big in 15 gallon containers. Some bigger than others ( I drug one in and out last fall on a hand cart when frost started). Your first grow will be a huge learning curve.
Good luck and again, Welcome.

Hello Ladies..Thought I would ask for some help..I have a problem..here is GMCORP..one of the last 2 Im tryn to have sex with...i meen show sex too..oh nevermind you know what I meen:giggle: Now i know she to be a female on account her Avatar showed Boobie:rofl: if any remember..I DO:hubba: how ever for the one in soil..Im going on the ratio and placeing her in the 3 gallon container..shed gets flipped 12/12...on 4/20..

so i have GMCORP..and jenniemarie that has not given me sex yet:p

take care and be safe Ladies:ciao::bolt::bong:

041.JPG

042.JPG

043.JPG

044.JPG

045.JPG

047.JPG

Wow, everyone! You have blown me away with your fantastic responses to my first post, and inquiry about growing both indoor-outdoor in the Mojave Desert. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You have given me much to think about. Especially supercropping, which seems sensible with a bunch of plants going female that I expected half would become males. Looks like I may have 20 females, from the looks of the preflowers. I don't know if I'm ecstatic or scared spitless! I'm overwhelmed, at any rate.

Are any of you going to the Million Marijuana March in San Francisco on May 2nd? If so, I hope you'll PM me so that we can meet up, and I can thank you in person for the encouragement and great help I've already found here in the Female Growers Group (with a few great males too!).

To answer a few questions you marvelous respondents have asked:

Yes, I have air conditioning in the house, so when I bring in the plants for flowering, in my extra bedroom, they won't be getting too hot. Right now they are in the garage at night under lights, but in another couple of weeks, it will be too hot for them to remain in there.

Wheeling in and out: I haven't had a problem with taking the plants in at night and out in the morning, as they all fit nicely into two Ames rolling garden carts, so it's easy to push them from my powerchair--just like pushing a shopping cart in the grocery store.

Supercropping: I've been watching videos on this, and studying as much as I can. I think it may be a way for me to keep the plants smaller, which I'll need. But it sure looks OUCH for the poor plants! Pinching and bending? Makes me glad I'm not a plant.

DOGS: Wow, glad there are dog lovers on in this forum! Yes, I do train my own service dogs. I'm retired now, and those are the only ones I do train. I'm a clicker trainer--no pain training, all fun, and they learn fast having a blast. If anyone has dog questions, feel free to PM me.

I looked for the forum where people share pictures of their dogs, and tried to do a search for it as well, but no luck so far. I'll keep reading and trying.
I'd love to post pictures of my dogs at work! They make the bed, do laundry, open and shut doors and drawers, pick up stuff I drop, etc. Unfortunately, one of them has developed a taste for MJ plants, and recently defoliated half of one plant. It seems to be recovering well, and I've learned to keep the plants out of reach of the pot-lusting pooch.

Thank you again, everyone! You have made me feel SO welcome, and normally I do not post in forums because I know the newbie threads can get so tiresome, with people asking the same things over and over, and not taking the time to read and study what's already there.

About the MMM in SF on May 2, please, please, please PM me if you are going!

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1872&highlight=critters

:ciao: mojavemama...here is a link i think the Dogs would be good in..oh and feel free to drop them buy my Fall grow...the shed allways need a good watch dog..or anything else entertain the Kidos while you and i Garden:giggle: you say 20 females? :yay: how about a pic on here? we would love to see them..and have you looked into scrog? that many females..and what is the size of your room? Hope you are doing well..take care and be safe:bong:

SmokinMom said:
The ladies here are a little outnumbered. :) How about a thread just for us. Introduce yourselves, chat away about whatever you want....keep it clean. ;)

Men- you're welcome to pop in from time to time.

GRAND idea!
I like men...but they have a different energy. Ever notice how the energy changes when a man walks into a room? LOL!

Id feel REALLY uncomfortable saying this in the "mixed" group, but I strongly believe that plants, like animals truly respond to Love. I talk to them, sing to them, tell them how beautiful they are and how proud of them I am... I was especially delighted to read about the "breaking" technique ", where you gently twist the stalks and stems to break the inner core so it will repair itself and be stronger than it was originally. I SO believe that this hands-on one-on-one time spent with each plant must be perceived by the plant as what it is--tender loving care. Im looking forward to "playing" with my "girls" as they start to grow.

My new babies are tucked inside their little seed starters right now and have been for six days. I take a peek at least twice a day to see if anybody is poking her head out yet.

Lass

Thanks 4u2sm0ke! I appreciate the link to the critters thread, and already posted some pictures of my service dogs at work there. Thank You!!

Yes, looks like 20 girls, and I'm still not sure of the one I thought might be male. I have no idea what I'm going to do. The room I'll be flowering them in is a standard small bedroom, probably 8 ft X 8 ft, with a small closet. Thought about scrog, as you mentioned. I can't even begin to imagine how many lights I'm going to need.

You asked for pictures of my girls--here they are in their carts. They are way down at the bottom, so they look small inside the carts. You can also see that I started supercropping them last night.

PlantCarts41409.jpg

Supercrop1.jpg

pistilmaybe.jpg

:ciao: mojavemama...Those look great...and IMO..if you are still in the buying stage..go with 4 @ 1000k..with light movers...thats a good room..

Now befor I get a beat up on by these Ladies..one more thing:rofl:

How about a GJ started on this grow..so I can :watchplant: and :bong:..if you put a link in your signature,,I can come visit more easy...yeah..Im Lazy..I am a Male after all:giggle:

can you teach my dog to find my :bong1:.

LassChance said:
GRAND idea!
I like men...but they have a different energy. Ever notice how the energy changes when a man walks into a room? LOL!

Id feel REALLY uncomfortable saying this in the "mixed" group, but I strongly believe that plants, like animals truly respond to Love. I talk to them, sing to them, tell them how beautiful they are and how proud of them I am... I was especially delighted to read about the "breaking" technique ", where you gently twist the stalks and stems to break the inner core so it will repair itself and be stronger than it was originally. I SO believe that this hands-on one-on-one time spent with each plant must be perceived by the plant as what it is--tender loving care. Im looking forward to "playing" with my "girls" as they start to grow.

My new babies are tucked inside their little seed starters right now and have been for six days. I take a peek at least twice a day to see if anybody is poking her head out yet.

Lass

:welcome: :D
love to see soem of your ladies threw some pics up when you have time :peace:

Wecome to the Female Growers Thread LassChance, and Welcome to MP too.

I was just curious if it's possible to identify particular strains by leaf shape?

I have 3 different types of leaves on my plants, several of each one except for the very sativa-looking one, of which I only have one. The seed came from growers in Mendocino, and also a grower in Oregon who only grows medicinal. I had one bagseed, and I think that's the one Sativa, but can't be certain because I dumped the plants early on by accident, and all the strain markers got mixed up.

Here is a picture of the three very different types of leaves on my plants.

The spikey, straight leaves on wider leaves I believe came from the Mendocino grower, possibly a Kush of some kind? These have a purple cast to them, and the stems are also purple. The droopy, more rounded and dense leafed plants have no purple, and the leaves are very fat and very rounded. The stems are dense with leaves, and the internodes are short. I believe these may be the Oregon strain, and the grower mentioned Trainwreck and Lemon Drop.

Any thoughts?

3types.jpg

hello mojavemama ,,,found this on the internet

long thin fingered leaves =satavia

The sativa high is often characterized as uplifting and energetic. The effects of a sativa marijuana are mostly cerebral. They give a feeling of optimism and well - being, as well as providing a good measure of pain relief for certain symptoms. A few pure sativas are also very high in THC content. They are known to have a quite spacey, or hallucinogenic, effect. Sativas are a good choice for daytime smoking

short fat leaves =indica

Indicas are known for their smaller stature. They are relatively short and bushy. Some are compact, others are of a more moderate height. Indicas tend to grow wider and rounder than sativas. Many look like small shrubs. Indicas typically grow out many more smaller side colas.

The indica highs are most often described as a pleasant body buzz. Indicas are great for relaxation, stress relief, and for an overall sense of calm and serenity. Marijuana indicas are also very effective for overall body pain relief, and often used in the treatment of insomnia. They are the late - evening choice of many smokers as an all - night sleep aid. A few pure indica strains are very potent in THC, and will cause the "couchlock" effect, enabling the smoker to simply sit still and enjoy the experience of the smoke.

also heres a link which also may help

hxxp://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/strains.html

change the xx to tt ,,,:peace:

Thanks, UKGirl420!

Appreciate your taking the time to share the info with me. I've also read this information, and the strains link you posted, but what I'm really asking is not about sativas, indicas or ruderalis's, but if anyone had any idea by looking at the leaves what particular general strains they might be closely related to.

I have not seen any pages that match up leaf shape with strains, and I don't know if that can even be done. Which is why I was asking! I guess I was hoping someone might say, "that looks more like AK47 than Kush, or, "it looks more like an f1 variety to me, because...." .

If leaves don't really tell much about the particular strain, then so be it! I just was curious, that's all, wondering if experienced growers could sort of tell the strain by the shape of the leaves, combined with stature, space between nodes, etc.

I'm just amazed how different all three of these strains I have seem to be from each other.

Thanks again, UKGirl420, for taking time to respond!

sorry mojavemomma....no way to tell by leaf..UKgirl is correct and that sativa or indica is all you can realy make outta a leaf...take care anmd be safe

oops sorry was :stoned:

i dont think you can tell a paticular strain just by looking at the leaves

im sure someone will who knows for sure wether you can or not will be along soon:peace:

Latest posts

Back