The limit to growth - ideas. For chat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
I was having a long conversation with my half-orange last night about plant growth. Specifically how plants like MJ grow. It boiled down to this:

1. Provided enough nutrients and water are present, then:

2. Photosynthesis converts CO2 and water and minerals into the complex carbohydrates used to form the structure of the plant. So far so good: as we know from our grows, the amount of yield is directly proportional to the amount of lumens.

What concerned me is the hydro guys who - according to evidence - reliably get much faster growth and higher yields. Now why is this? Assuming I have the same amount of light shouldn't my grow in coco be equal?

3. There is a third and most important limit to growth. And, strangely, of the several biology books we consulted about this, only ONE mentions it! And that is: CELLULAR RESPIRATION.

My half-orange compared the process with that of baking a cake. The roots provide water and chemicals. The air provides CO2. The photosynthesis is like the OVEN - it's 'baking' the mixture.
But WHERE does the MIXTURE come from? It's made by the plant cells using cellular respiration! And - guess what - cellular respiration relies on OXYGEN provided by the roots!

So this is why the hydro guys are so successful. They are providing so much O2 to the roots using their DWC aerated systems that cellular respiration proceeds much faster and more completely and allows photosynthesis to be much more effective. If this is true then I would guess that aerated hydro systems should provide more O2 than ebb-flow systems . . . maybe the hydro guys can comment.

========

An idea:

This won't work with soil because it is too dense. But . . . with coco . . . let's say I make up a pot with, say, 60% coco and 40% Perlite. Nice open structure. And I water it in the usual way.
But let's say I can make a system using an axial fan, say, that can (gently) force air into the bottom vent hole(s) of the pot? Then I am going to get the benefits of hydro with the convenience of not having pumps, nutrient solutions, and so on.

Another thought: Many people - I am one - prefer clay pots because they seem to work better. Perhaps the clay allows oxygen to diffuse into the roots - it is porous after all. And plastic doesn't. But clay is heavy and fragile. Lifting 5 gallon clay pots full, is not something I care to do often.

So, if my aim is to allow oxygen to get to the roots, how about this as a solution: Drill 1/4" holes all over the sides of the pot (well, say the lower two-thirds of it). To stop soil escaping and roots poking out line the pot with some old curtain fabric or similar. This should allow plenty of O2 to diffuse in and increase the growth rate.

COMMENTS please?

leafminer said:
What concerned me is the hydro guys who - according to evidence - reliably get much faster growth and higher yields. Now why is this? Assuming I have the same amount of light shouldn't my grow in coco be equal?

I grow in soil but I've wondered about this, too. My guess is that root growth proceeds more quickly through less dense grow media such as hydroton.

I think you are on the right track. IMO you wrong about soil. My soil has 20% perlite and 25% coco in it. Try this

hxxp://www.superoots.com

air pots bro

Nuitrient uptake my friend.

The BEST lesson I was ever tought was simple...don't grow MJ Buds...Grow ROOTS. If you grow healthy white,fuzzy roots....everything else will follow suit.

Hydro just allows for better airation of the root system with a constant supply of CORRECT nuits.
With that said, if your PH, or nuits are ever off then your hydro grow will go sour quick. That , is the fine line and the worry of non-hydro growers.

Don't be intimidated. It is quite actually simple,....if you can control your impulse to add every supplement that the Hydro store guys try to push.

With Hydro...use the K.I.S.S. method, and all will be well.

Personally, I have tried damn near every known hydro method u can think of, with the exception of NFT. I had alot of failures, let me tell you. This was due to my not truly understanding how hydro works and the basic princples of hydroponics. Once these are understood and followed, you can apply them to any hydro method.

There is no "best" way to do hydro, though I must say that nothing will beat the growth rates of a dialed in aeroponic system. Thats a whole other discussion.

hello leafminer.:) ...

i'm a dwc'er. i cannot grow a plant at the same rate in soil, as i can in water. believe me, i've tried. wanna know why? i can't see my roots in soil. and thier usually compacted in some way down in there. you never really know whats going on in soil...

in dwc, i grow huge , hairy, white roots. the more o2 i add, the more they respond. what your searching for is in the oxygen. it breaks down molecules more easily if thier not 'cramped' for space. so , what i feed my baby, is a direct result to cellular respiration. more O2, causes more friction. more friction, causes happy roots...:cool: ...

IRISH said:
hello leafminer.:) ...

i'm a dwc'er. i cannot grow a plant at the same rate in soil, as i can in water. believe me, i've tried. wanna know why? i can't see my roots in soil. and thier usually compacted in some way down in there. you never really know whats going on in soil...

in dwc, i grow huge , hairy, white roots. the more o2 i add, the more they respond. what your searching for is in the oxygen. it breaks down molecules more easily if thier not 'cramped' for space. so , what i feed my baby, is a direct result to cellular respiration. more O2, causes more friction. more friction, causes happy roots...:cool: ...

Thanks. That's the kind of input I was looking for.
I've heard of those 'air pots' but they are not available here. I might try making something similar. Think I will get something vaguely pot-like - maybe a pot holder, a light and airy one - and line it with felt to make an air pot. See how it goes.

it will be very interesting to see this leafminer. please share with us all aspects of this. you have my attention...

thinking. you could use a simple white paper plate, cut in the center, and fitted around your plant, to keep the medium from blowing out. (such as perlite.)...just a thought...

Latest posts

Back