The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never keep one in the chamber. I've seen to many accidents. Doesn't take that long to lock and load.
I have too, but everyone in my home knows proper gun safety. When some moron kicks in my door at zero dark thirty and the dog goes off, I'm not taking time to chamber anything. Slip the safety off and deal with business.

You are both right. But neither complete IMEO. (Exalted Opinion) -- I have a Condition 1 pistol in my big safe, another one in an innocuous, but easy for me to reach place. For surprise and/or instant fire.

I never keep one in the chamber. I've seen to many accidents. Doesn't take that long to lock and load.
My edc's (one is DA, no safety; one has an external safety/firing pin block and a trigger safety,) have one in the tube when I tote 'em, as does my 590 home defense shotgun (safety on).
It takes less time to flip the safety, and as for my pump - I won't expose my position so easily as 'racking a round' could do.

Keep in mind, I'm a Safety Notsee 🤪 Have been all my life. But I'm also a touch 'noid from exposure to too many humans, and if God Forbid, a bad guy(s) are able to bypass my protected perimeter (three very alert dogs - TWO GSD's and a yappy little 8 pound lion hearted-barker), then that means I'm up and aware of what's going on, and my adrenalin would be amped so much my hand's would be shakin' and my heart would be hammerin', and that's an easy way to mess up, way I see it, putting it into battery, practice though I do. I ain't RAMBO, and my head wouldn't be that cool.

Out in public is a different ballgame, but stuff happens fast. REAL fast. I got rolled by two dudes oncet. The d-bags didn't get nothin', 'cause I had nothin' but an empty wallet. I got a couple scrapes and bruises, and had no idea what happened until I picked myself up off the sidewalk. Honolulu, Hawaii. Yup. Paradise. lol

I had a sporterized K98 that taught me to look IN the chamber, not just glance. I knew that I'd loaded it. I jacked the bolt back and nothing came out. Leaned it down and looked in the chamber. Yep, there's a shiny brass cartridge looking back at me. Worn extractor.
There's no such thing as an unloaded firearm. Always, ALWAYS clear. My Take.

We went into debt to do ours. It was 'no interest if paid'...though. Still...400 bucks a month. ugh
Wells Fargo financed mine. 12 months, zero interest. Got it last September, so she's paid off.

My edc's (one is DA, no safety; one has an external safety/firing pin block and a trigger safety,) have one in the tube when I tote 'em, as does my 590 home defense shotgun (safety on).
It takes less time to flip the safety, and as for my pump - I won't expose my position so easily as 'racking a round' could do.

Keep in mind, I'm a Safety Notsee 🤪 Have been all my life. But I'm also a touch 'noid from exposure to too many humans, and if God Forbid, a bad guy(s) are able to bypass my protected perimeter (three very alert dogs - TWO GSD's and a yappy little 8 pound lion hearted-barker), then that means I'm up and aware of what's going on, and my adrenalin would be amped so much my hand's would be shakin' and my heart would be hammerin', and that's an easy way to mess up, way I see it, putting it into battery, practice though I do. I ain't RAMBO, and my head wouldn't be that cool.

Out in public is a different ballgame, but stuff happens fast. REAL fast. I got rolled by two dudes oncet. The d-bags didn't get nothin', 'cause I had nothin' but an empty wallet. I got a couple scrapes and bruises, and had no idea what happened until I picked myself up off the sidewalk. Honolulu, Hawaii. Yup. Paradise. lol
you'd be surprised just how easy it is when it comes down to it...once the place is clear and the smoke settles is when the emotions come into play...when I was a victim of a home invasion I didn't hestitate but acted...never has a bad dream or regret about it...you do what you are able to do and hope you do the right thing...

9fbb4390aa09878e.jpg

you'd be surprised just how easy it is when it comes down to it...once the place is clear and the smoke settles is when the emotions come into play...when I was a victim of a home invasion I didn't hestitate but acted...never has a bad dream or regret about it...you do what you are able to do and hope you do the right thing...
".you do what you are able to do and hope you do the right thing..."

Yep. At 66, I've been around the block a time or two, and I've yet to fold under pressure - but I've never had a home invasion either. As a Boy Scout I was taught to "Be Prepared". That's about all I can do, I guess.

I do know when ammo is low and you have a bag of swimming pool shock and a pint of DOT 3 brake fluid you can improvise on a perimeter defense ..

also improvise with some of these household items

and never do any of these at home without parental guidance

As kids the salt peter and sugar was our go to. That and you could, as a kid, order flash powder and have it delivered by mail. Two containers, just mix together.

Bubba

Anything you can see is hot and ready. If it's locked up in one of the gun cabinets, it's empty, but if'n you don't check the chamber even after I do, I'll not be handing you another one to inspect.

Fixed it for ya, Bubba. You forgot where you were. Happens to the best of us.
Whoops...thanks 🤭

I have too, but everyone in my home knows proper gun safety. When some moron kicks in my door at zero dark thirty and the dog goes off, I'm not taking time to chamber anything. Slip the safety off and deal with business.

You are both right. But neither complete IMEO. (Exalted Opinion) -- I have a Condition 1 pistol in my big safe, another one in an innocuous, but easy for me to reach place. For surprise and/or instant fire.
Any self defense instructor will tell you carrying without one in chamber is a good way to get killed. Nobody that isn't familiar enough with their firearm shouldn't be carrying one. My finger is my safety, but I have more gun experience than most folks, by no small margin.

There is a myth busters where they attempt to debunk the saying, a person with a knife can travel 21 feet and deliver a lethal stab in about 3 seconds. Carry person did not have one in chamber. Every one of them failed. They only successful variant was one guy dropped to his back while drawing, attacker had to stop and bend down, giving just enough time. I would have shot them in the face before they were 3 feet away.

Bubba

Absolutely. But I do not keep one in the chamber at night for a good reason.
I keep a 40 beside my bed. About a yr ago I dreamed someone broke into my house.
I woke up with that gun in my hand. Thank God the safety was on. Ever since then I have made sure there is no bullet in the chamber out of caution.
For some reason the last couple yrs I have gotten bad about fighting mother fkers in my sleep. I have woke up in the floor with my hands and shit hurting from knocking shit off my table next to my bed now several times.
So I have become extra cautious about such things. Thank God me and the Wife don't sleep in the same bed.😳

Latest posts

Back