The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do you think would be an adequate supply of ammo to have on hand?

I know , there is never to much

but is there any opinions on a minimum amount of ammo that one should have?

9 mm

and 12 ga

prolly a dumb question but hey , I am just a human , not a god yet

9 mm

and 12 ga

I would say it depends on your armament. I have a bringumhome SKS and an AK-47 for which I have a coupla crates of ammo and extra magazines.

For 12ga, I have a case of cut shells made up, and a case of standard. About the same (a case of .22Mag, 9mm, .38, 44Mag, buckets of .22's) for pistols.

I do not have anything that goes out of a Mattel Toy. Nor do I have the Toy.

I would not forget edged weapons.

A "unit of fire" is how much ammo you would use up in a day.

9 mm

and 12 ga

If I spend 2-3 hours, I've gone through 300 rounds or more. So, I like a minimum of 1000 rounds per caliber, with a couple of exceptions, which I don't handload YET...250 rounds12 gauge 00 buck, and I think 50 rounds .458 SOCOM.

I do handload .308 Winchester, but likely only have about 200 rounds on hand. Not a gun I put a lot of ammo through in each setting, same with any thing larger. But .45, .223/556, 9mm and the like I can shoot all day. These calibers I like a lot on hand. Plus powder and parts to make 1000s.With .45 accuracy falls off after a couple hours. 9mm like a pop gun, basically no recoil. Small snap.

I bought my first 9mm pistol in 2008. I live in a fairly red Midwestern state, in a fairly large city, over 500,000 and it took me sniffing everywhere two months to find ANY ammo in 9mm! I swore right then, never again and started buying powder, brass, primers, bullets, loading dies, all sorts of presses and various case measuring tools.

Gonna have that ammo!

I would say it depends on your armament. I have a bringumhome SKS and an AK-47 for which I have a coupla crates of ammo and extra magazines.

For 12ga, I have a case of cut shells made up, and a case of standard. About the same (a case of .22Mag, 9mm, .38, 44Mag, buckets of .22's) for pistols.

I do not have anything that goes out of a Mattel Toy. Nor do I have the Toy.

I would not forget edged weapons.

A "unit of fire" is how much ammo you would use up in a day.
But how many .45 rounds buried in yard in those tube/nail/booby trap thingies?
😂

Bubba

This is interesting:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/how-doctors-harnessing-power-gold-fight-cancer-180949436/
“One surprising approach comes out of research conducted at Rice University in Texas, along with the MD Anderson Cancer Center and other institutes. Oncologists are now injecting cancer patients with ultra-tiny, gold-wrapped spheres. The nanoparticles, each smaller than a red blood cell, accumulate in a tumor after slipping out of the bloodstream through little holes in the tumor’s rapidly growing vessels. Once there, the gold waits—until an oncologist blasts it with near-infrared light.

“Despite gold’s shiny quality, the spheres are made to absorb rather than reflect certain wavelengths of light, a property used against the cancer cells. “We artificially contaminate the tumor,” says Sunil Krishnan of MD Anderson. The nanoparticles convert the light into heat, and as temperatures in the tumor climb above 104 degrees Fahrenheit, the cancer cells deform, shrivel and then disintegrate.

WSU researchers use gold to target, kill cancer cells with less drugs

Washington State Uni, too. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good morning rasty old farts and kindly fartesses! Let the joy begin!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif
coffee.gif
snoopy2.gif

I cast bullets and reload mostly for fun. With the bean field rifles, it's that almost one hole cloverleaf at 100 yards that's the goal.

I find reloading relaxing while it keeps my attention focused. A tenth of a grain can turn a handgun into a hand grenade.

I cast bullets and reload mostly for fun. With the bean field rifles, it's that almost one hole cloverleaf at 100 yards that's the goal.

I find reloading relaxing while it keeps my attention focused. A tenth of a grain can turn a handgun into a hand grenade.
You must load on the edge! Tenth of a grain is tiny! I'm usually not on extreme ends, just increase until a nice accuracy node seems to happen. I need to get a speed measuring chronograph or whatever for rifle fine tuning.

9mm is a high pressure round. A powder like Tite group does not fill case, care must be taken. With a fluffier powder, like Unique, it almost fills the case of a 9mm brass full, so somewhat safer.

Bubba

I have a led light kit mounted on press that really lights the case up, making it easier to see powder in case. If you are doing a large number, you get used to the level of powder in the case, and can tell if something is off.

Depends on the case size of the round and the type of powder. Some is very fine tiny balls. Some is more like flakes, some is stick, little short roller looking pieces. I use a lot of Varget in .223 and .308, it is such a stick powder.

The really fine ones, like Tite Group I mentioned, you have to be careful, a double charge can fit in a case....

I use more Bullseye and BE-86 for pistol, but Tite group has it's place. On a progressive press I normally spot check every 10th round, even if it looks right. With powders like Tite group, I would hand weigh every round.

Bubba

A chronograph is a must when going for accuracy. There's a sweet spot that I aim for. Sometimes faster doesn't equate to more accurate.

Lee will actually make molds to your specs, but they ain't cheap. I got in a a group buy of .22 caliber mold through a reloading site that made it cheaper for a custom one. Ordering one will eat your wallet, and I can see why. Once they've got the machinery set, it's easier to crank out a bunch rather than just one.

Latest posts

Back